Monkeys

Options
JJtexasgirl
JJtexasgirl Posts: 106 Member
Last night, we were watching Discovery Channel - the Human Planet. They focused on a tribe in Brazil, somewhere in the rain forest, that worships monkeys and treats them as part of the family. Apparently, its not uncommon for the women in the tribe to adopt orphaned monkey babies and breastfeed them.

Yep. Humans breastfeeding monkeys.

Thoughts?

Replies

• purplehaze12
    Options
    what??? :noway: i wouldn't let a monkey near my boobs, no sir.

good for them though i guess!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    hmmm... wasn't sure what I expected when I clicked on this title, but it sure wasn't that. :laugh:

uhmmmm... no thanks. :sick: :embarassed:
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    it's part of their culture... so it works for them. Can't see it happening in Manhatten.
  • j_fattler
    j_fattler Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    if you ever met my now 5 year old daughter, you'd think I was living with that tribe in Brazil 5 years ago when she was born---that kid is definately a MONKEY!!! lol!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I've seen some HAIRY little babies... smiley-scared007.gif
    smiley-scared007.gif
    Ted
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    My child sounds like a Monkey these days but I don't think I could "adopt" a monkey in that way. :huh:
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Eww. Just eww.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    We share 99% of our genetic code with monkeys. We drink drink cow / goat milk all the time, how should this be any different?
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    We don't suck cow and goat milk right from the source.

That's the creepy part for me. Looking down and seeing a hairy little face sucking on my lovely orb of deliciousness would just be...yucky.

And I LOVE monkeys!
  • JJtexasgirl
    Options

my lovely orb of deliciousness

:wink:

a great descriptor! Love It!
  • Elise1931
    Elise1931 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    it's part of their culture... so it works for them. Can't see it happening in Manhatten.

Agree with this, it's part of their culture and should be respected. After all, culture does vary from place to place, generation to generation, and group to group. :)
  • jlbryant2
    jlbryant2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm having difficulty understanding how the human would produce breastmilk since she didn't give birth...but I could never imagine such happening here. So glad that I don't live in Brazil because I AM NOT AN ANIMAL PERSON! lol This was a very interesting and informative fact so thanks for sharing :))
  • JJtexasgirl
    Options
    I'm having difficulty understanding how the human would produce breastmilk since she didn't give birth...but I could never imagine such happening here. So glad that I don't live in Brazil because I AM NOT AN ANIMAL PERSON! lol This was a very interesting and informative fact so thanks for sharing :))

I think the women in question had human children they were already breastfeeding. I know its part of their culture and that we're very genetically similar, but what happened to "survival of the fittest"? Perhaps these orphaned monkeys were not fated to survive? How much are the humans messing with the big picture plan if they alter the course of fate?
  • cleckner04
    Options
    Adoptive mothers can actually lactate! It takes a lot of hard work but we can lactate even without having children. :flowerforyou:

I'm a breastfeeding mother right now and I can't imagine how that'd even be possible because monkeys have super sharp teeth!! My friend's brother has a monkey for a pet and that thing has razor sharp teeth. So it's hard for me pictures a monkey feeding straight from the source like that. I'm all for breastfeeding, but I draw the line at animals. :laugh:
  • complicatedmoves
    complicatedmoves Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    WOW, there are some kind hearted loving people in the world I tell ya...It must take someone a few steps short of a saint to breastfeed a monkey.

I've heard of other animals nursing (other) animals, so hey.....whatever works for you and makes you feel like your helping make the world a better place.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    To each his own. That being said this post made my boobs hurt. That is the first time I have EVER written that in my life.
  • JJtexasgirl
    Options
    To each his own. That being said this post made my boobs hurt. That is the first time I have EVER written that in my life.

:laugh: