Bump :flowerforyou:
  • tesshaney
    tesshaney Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Interesting articles to read. Your #1 is my favorite article. VERY, VERY similar to a book I cannot recommend enough for people:

"The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler - there's a men's book too.

Lift like a man, look like a goddess! - Lou Schuler :flowerforyou:

Also further reaffirmed my goals for H.I.T., (or HIIT). Thanks for sharing!

I have this book! It's a great resource!!
  • longtallted
    longtallted Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Ker-bump!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Ok this article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/phys-ed-why-doesnt-exercise-lead-to-weight-loss/ is upsetting me, because it's saying that "afterburn" doesn't exist and basically saying you shouldn't eat back any exercise calories...?!
    But I don't know if that takes into account the deficit MFP automatically puts in.

I wouldn't take the research here too seriously. Reseach is a process. And I can assure you that my body is revved up for at least 24 hours, maybe more, after a day of working out. The reason that I say this is that Friday is my rest day. I do NOTHING. And I eat well over my calories on that day, because I am soooo hungry, and yet will wake up Saturday morning with a net loss. How can that be without an "afterburn"? BTW I do workout a LOT: Mon run 5miles (and typically do an Insanity DVD or Tae Bo), Tues Tae Kwon Do for an hour, Wed run 6 miles (intervals) and Insanity DVD or Tae Bo (sometimes both) and Thurs run 4 or 5 miles and TKD for an hour (at night)... Saturday is my long run (anywhere from 8 to 20 miles).

Im not saying the article is wrong... but I think that everyone is different. You have to figure out what works for you. And I wouldn't get too concerned about one piece of research. Who knows how many people were actually in the study or how well it was done... Just because it's in a journal doesnt mean it's a well done study. Not all studies are created equal. And again, research is a process of discovery. Remember how EVIL eggs once were?
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    *burmp*
  • kumarprabhat
    Options
    super super bump....great insight...