Hi! 1200 cal per day

Options
does everyone on here start at 1200 calories per day? 2 of my sisters and 1 friend checked their weight height and goal and all came up with the same number. Just curious...
Thanks=)

Replies

• kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Yep, I started at 1200 - I am 28 and 5ft 8, I weigh 146 lbs. It's hard to stick to all the time but I do eat back some of my exercise cals!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No i'm 24, 5ft7 and weigh 147 lbs and my calories is 1310. It depends on a whole manner of things such as ur daily activity level, height, age, weight and gender :)
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It depends on the activity level you choose, as well as other things. When you work out you get more calories to eat as well. I started out at 1500 because my activity level is moderately active but since I lost weight it's reset to 1470.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    1200 is the absolute minimum that anyone should eat, so it will never set you below that goal. So anyone without a ton of weight to lose, with a fairly sedentary lifestyle, or who sets their ideal loss at the maximum (2 lbs/week) will likely get set to that amount.
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    Good morning! Your calories per day are based on how much weight you want to lose/gain/maintain, your age, height & weight. My daughters are on this site and the 2 that just want to maintain their current weight have a lot more calories than I get in a day.:flowerforyou:
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Mine STARTED at 1950! I never eat that much - I'm usually much closer to 1300, but I thought mine was super high. But, I'm not so ept at this whole calorie thing yet, so I'm trying to follow what MFP says to do. I don't usually eat back my excercise calories - I'm a night excerciser and that means food before bed.
  • Me4me68
    Me4me68 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you:) I haven't started with excercise just yet. I know I have to....then maybe things will move along quicker and I can get more on my daily calorie intake:) all makes sense! Love this site!!
  • loodoo87
    loodoo87 Posts: 33
    Options
    Yeah mine started at 1200 and still is, it seems like a lot more than i would normally eat but i wam following this diet which i am actually enjoying and the food plan on it is all really tasty, filling and healthy foods. I know it is the minimum that anyone should eat but it seems to be working and when i exercise i earn extra calories so i sometimes eat them too. :)
  • michellewilliams10
    michellewilliams10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Yes MFP gave me 1200 in the beginning which freaked me a bit. I did it for the first 2 weeks and didn't lose anything. Then I had a real wobbly moment where I felt weak, light headed etc. I knew I could not sustain this so I upped it myself to 1400 which I can sustain for months if required. I am 140lb, 5' 6" tall and can lose1lb per week on this amount.

Hope this helps..
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    1200 kcals is the minimum for a female
    1800 kcals is the minimum for a male

as directed by the American institute of medicine.
  • StephanieNMiller
    Options
    I started out at 1550/day, but as i've lost weight and changed jobs, I'm down to 1200cal/day. That's to lose 2lbs/wk. Once I hit my goal, I can eat 1400-1600/day to maintain it. So look at the lower calorie struggle as a temporary hurdle! You can do it!