Exec Chef always around food.....

Options
chefkev
chefkev Posts: 155 Member
I'm and executive chef at a large public university. I have $50,000 worth of food around me at any time. To say temptation is around is an understatement.

Thanks to my Dr, I have been able to get my eating under control and am making great progress in getting my health back. When I turned 37, my body decided to self destruct and everything fell apart. Now that I am 40, I am coming off diabetes meds (down to half of 1 pill a day), my BP and cholesterol are super, I no longer need reflux meds, and I don't sleep with a C-pap anymore.

I feel like a kid again!!!!

It is a major mind shift to go from "food as comfort" to "food as fuel." Once I was able to get that through my skull,. the rest began to fall into place.

Nice to meet you all, have a ________ day.
I won't presume that you want a great day, so I'll let you fill in the blank!
-ChefKev

Replies

• AngelaPowPowPOW
    Options
    Hi, Kev! Good luck!
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Food as fuel, not as comfort . . . same battle I have/had. Good job, and welcome
  • justleeanne
    justleeanne Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Welcome and well done on your progress so far!!
  • barbarian81
    Options
    Chef,

I have the same issues. I work in health care as the Production Manager in the kitchen and it is hard. I gazed lovingly at chocolate cake yesterday but had to keep telling myself that nothing taste as good as thin will feel.
  • DreaMartinez
    Options
    I have had the same battle with food being comfort not fuel for...well forever it seems. I always think of Finding Nemo when the sharks say "Fish are friends not food" but changed it to "Food is fuel not friends"

Good luck on your journey and congrats on your accomplishments.
  • chefkev
    Options
    Chef,

I have the same issues. I work in health care as the Production Manager in the kitchen and it is hard. I gazed lovingly at chocolate cake yesterday but had to keep telling myself that nothing taste as good as thin will feel.

hmmm, production manager in a hospital. I bet I know what company you work for, I am in the campus services part of that same company!
  • chefkev
    Options
    Food as fuel, not as comfort . . . same battle I have/had. Good job, and welcome

Alright! Someone else from E-town on here!!!
  • peetysgirl
    peetysgirl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i understand. I am a pantry cook at a fine dining restaurant. i am around gourmet deli meats, yummy desserts, and delicious cheeses. it is defenitly a battle everyday of work, but i found it helps to eat fruit and vegetables. i eat 5 meals a day to keep my blood sugar leveled so i dont get starved and just eat whatever is around me. or have ice cream, i love ice cream. you can do it. just dont go into work hungry.