Has Anybody tried slimming world?

Options
I'm really bored of calorie counting(!) and woudl like to try something else. I didn't get on with the 'new' weight watchers and thought about slimming world. Any thoughts?

Replies

• cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    MFP = Free
    Slimming World & Weight Watchers = £x.xx/week

You decide!
  • liv1980
    liv1980 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi i have done slimming world for 2 years and now ive combined it with MFP. SW is amazing :) i got all my friends on to it too and they love it. no counting and there's so much you can eat that at first you are sceptical that you wont loose any weight but you do. try it out its great :)
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Going back 2 years i lost nearly 5 stone doing SW although since leaving the class i gained 3 of that easily!!

they used to use red and green days which were simple to follow but they now have a bew system thats called extra easy which basically means you can eat most things. I just cant seem to get my head around this since ive been calorie counting.

SW - you can eat unlimited amounts of fruit, veg and mean all day....that could equate to thousands of calories but you still lose weight.

MFP - You calorie count to around 1200 calories and lose weight

.....i just dont get it!
  • Hype
    Hype Posts: 349
    Options
    My brother does SW and to be honest, it seems bad, hes lost about 7 stone with them, but has put it all plus more back on! He works hard and i dont seem to see the difference in him at all.
  • sd892310
    sd892310 Posts: 151
    Options
    Hi,

I tried Slimming World a couple of years ago, it is really easy to stick with and once you have been on it for a couple of weeks it becomes even easier to know what you can/can't eat and amounts etc dependent of whether having Red Days or Green Days.

I found that it did help me lose the weight, i did it for 2 months and went from 163lbs to 147lbs, but i found the weight loss slowed when i stopped going to the classes each week. Maybe that is because of my own will power, but when i knew i would have to face someone week in week out to see how well i had or hadnt done it spurred me on, then once i got the hang of the diet, i stopped going to the classes but found that i was losing less than i was before.

Once i stopped the diet i didnt go back to eating whatever i wanted whenever i wanted, but i did relax myself quite a lot, just applying the basic rules and i found that over the next 5 months i put weight back on and went back to 162lbs.

all the time i was on the diet and going to classes then slimming world was great, i preferred it to weightwatcher which i have also tried.

i suppose it is down to personnel preference but if you stick to it then it should work for you!

apologies for the long reply!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    I think that like any "system", once you stop, you put the weight back on. Calorie counting might be a pain in the *kitten*, but you are in complete control of what you eat. And it helps you to learn what's good for your body and what isn't.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My mum did it for a few weeks a few years back. I dunno why anyone still decides to go on diets or systems etc. Baffles me.
  • amberpaigee
    Options
    My friend did it last summer and lost a stone and a half and loved it! :) She didn't go to the meetings and just used the information that she got from her mum (who did go to meetings). She stopped strictly following the plan since October and hasn't put any weight back on! :)
  • feathers1981
    feathers1981 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts! My "Sister In Law To Be" is a slimming world consultant and therefore is going to get me set up and I won't go to the classes I'll just do it with her so no ££", which is v.good!

I'm glad to hear that its worked for so many people. I tried WW at the start of the year and the new system just didn't work for me....gained 3lbs in a week! I do love what MFP offers and intend to stay connected but just really fancy trying something that is a bit more relaxed and where I can eat out for lunch and still be able to eat a veggie curry for tea even if I have no 'calories' left, if you know what I mean.... I eat lots of veggies and find it hard that they are included in daily calories....

I