Frozen Fruit any tips please

Options
alimac92
alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
Hi folks,

I've bought a huge bag of tropical frozen fruit. I have defrosted it and eaten it and found it to be quite disgusting, especially the suprise pieces of papaya. :sick:
My husband has found its better to nibble on it while its still frozen but even he presfers the bag of frozen forest fruits to the tropical fruits.

Has anyone got any menu ideas or tips for using it to make a desert for serving at a party.
I thought better than wasting it all I could fob it off on some unsuspecting guests.

Thanks

:smile:

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Not a dessert idea, but I use frozen fruit in smoothies all the time! It's great for that!
  • StefBeeney
    Options
    Add Milk or Water and blend to make a smoothie... if you need to you you can add some sweetener like splenda...
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    puree and mix in oatmeal??

make a mixed fruit sauce (a la applesauce)

smoothie....

I use frozen fruit in my sodium free seltzer and water instead of ice cubes.....
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My first thoughts were the smoothie and in oatmeal too.
  • michellewilliams10
    michellewilliams10 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I add frozen bluberries or forest fruits to hot porridge direct from the freezer (goes all pulpy when you defrost). The heat of the porridge melts the fruit and the fruit brings the temp of the porridge to the right eating temperature - Happy days!!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have frozen mixed berries on my light ice cream :D mmm! And have them in smoothies all the time!
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am not sure there is much you can do with it now that it is defrosted. I too think thawed tropical fruits are nasty. You can pick out the pineapple pieces and bake them in some yummy banana bread.
  • alimac92
    Options
    I am not sure there is much you can do with it now that it is defrosted. I too think thawed tropical fruits are nasty. You can pick out the pineapple pieces and bake them in some yummy banana bread.

I still have a huge bag left. I only defrosted a cup full to take to work. Iwas thinking along the lines of using jelly or making a trifle.
  • alimac92
    Options
    Not a dessert idea, but I use frozen fruit in smoothies all the time! It's great for that!

"bump"

smoothies sound like a good idea!

Thanks
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Blitz with a little icing sugar to make a fruit coulis. Drizzle over or round any dessert of your choice. I think it would be lovely with some meringue nests filled with greek yoghurt.

Nigella had a recipe for Watermelon dacquiri which involved frozen watermelon cubes :bigsmile:
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i bought some and thought they were nasty as well. apparently so did the kids because they are still in the freezer. i tried the smoothie idea although i really didnt care for the grainy texture.good luck.
  • mommy3x
    mommy3x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen blueberries, blackberries, and mixed berries from Wyman's of Maine. I add them to fat free cottage cheese and eat them while they are still frozen (I eat them as soon as I get to work - so probably 15 minutes after they come out of freezer). I REALLY enjoy eating it this way, feels like I'm eating a dessert. You can also make smoothies with them...good luck!!

:happy:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I use frozen fruit for protein fluff dessert.
    150g fruit
    100ml skim milk
    2 scoops casein protein powder.

Put in rotational mixing bowl for 10mins.

Fluffs up into a massive amount of dessert :)
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    You could blend them up (straight from the freezer) with some low fat yoghurt and have it as a soft scoop ice cream or stick it in the freezer for a bit if its melted too much, you could serve this up with some nice fresh fruit or any other desert you're having.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Smoothies for sure. I buy 2kg bags all teh time and make smoothies in the blender. Fruit, milk, yoghurt, and sometimes protein powder.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I used to make shakes EVERY morning for like the first 3 months I did this program. I would use some frozen fruit (frozen, not thawed!!), almond milk, a packet of truvia, and sometimes yogurt if I was in the mood for a thicker shake (if I needed to save calories I just left it out). I would stick all of those in a blender and then drink up! They were VERY yummy!

Piece of advise to those interested in shakes- If you use FRESH fruit, I would put a couple icecubes in the blender also to make the shake cold. If you use FROZEN fruit, it is frozen when you stick it in so no need for ice because it makes it cold!
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    i mix mine with orange juice, tastes just like orange julius, and i add a banana in there sometimes too.
    it's actualy my favourite meal haha
  • alimac92
    Options
    I buy frozen blueberries, blackberries, and mixed berries from Wyman's of Maine. I add them to fat free cottage cheese and eat them while they are still frozen (I eat them as soon as I get to work - so probably 15 minutes after they come out of freezer). I REALLY enjoy eating it this way, feels like I'm eating a dessert. You can also make smoothies with them...good luck!!

:happy:

Hmm might try that... thanks
  • alimac92
    Options
    You could blend them up (straight from the freezer) with some low fat yoghurt and have it as a soft scoop ice cream or stick it in the freezer for a bit if its melted too much, you could serve this up with some nice fresh fruit or any other desert you're having.

"bump"

Really, really, really like this idea, especially for a party.

Great Stuff!! :bigsmile:
  • alimac92
    Options
    Blitz with a little icing sugar to make a fruit coulis. Drizzle over or round any dessert of your choice. I think it would be lovely with some meringue nests filled with greek yoghurt.

Nigella had a recipe for Watermelon dacquiri which involved frozen watermelon cubes :bigsmile:

My husband loves to watch Nigella cooking, especially when she rolls her dumplings!
    It's the only he time he is quiet lol!