All or nothing

Options
This is kind of a threadjack on the ice cream thread. When I lost my 50lbs I never cut anything from my diet, including chicken fingers and mudslides - I only used these things in moderation and always accounted for them in my calorie goal for the day but I am the kind of person that cannot deprive myself of some of my favorites, otherwise I'll binge later. Is there anyone else out there "dieting" and still enjoying the McDonalds french fries once in a while? I am just not an all or nothing kind of person. Actually the ones I see do this, cut all their favorites - do tend to gain the weight back (in my experience).

On the plus side the cleaner eating leads me to not crave these things like I did before, and my diet has drastically improved over the past year, although still not perfect.

Replies

• sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    I am the same, although I don't have much to lose and I keep reading that what I eat is quite important especially in terms of fats and sugars, bur I want to lose the weight slower and keep it off and I want to enjoy my life during this time.

I have the odd Mcdonalds if I can fit it in my calorie allowance and the same with alcohol and other treats.

What ever works for you, I don't see the point in using all your daily calories on 'healthy food' and then feeling like you've missed out and end up eating the 'naughty' foods anyway pushing you over your allowance.
  • HelensReady
    Options
    I am still eating my favourites...but like you only occationally. I think your right, its about portion control...not always about the food your eating. I have always eaten fresh fruit and veg...its the quantity and the lack of exercise that has made me obese. Now i understand this im sure this time the weight will come off! and most of all STAY OFF!!! :)
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    Right now I've cut out the really high calorie/fat items that I tend to crave. That being said I'm only doing this to train my body into what it needs and what it doesn't. This is a lifestyle change for me and part of my lifestyle is going to involve fatty, high calorie foods sometimes. I know that at some point I will eat these kinds of foods again, but my focus right now is on getting my body use to not having them. That way when I go to eat them later I eat less because it's not the kind of food that I'm relying on all of the time. That may not make sense for some people, but for me it does. I'm trying to learn that I can have anything I want in moderation, but I'm also trying to train myself that those aren't the kinds of foods I NEED. So if I want a couple of fries from McDonald's I can have them, but I'm only going to eat a kid size instead of a large and if I'm still hungry I'll follow it with an apple. :) That being said each of us is different, you have to do what's best for you. :smile: Good luck!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I am the same. I have not cut nothing from my diet,and I am happier for it.
    I dont feel deprived if I want something I have it.
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    Mine is a little red wine. Having a small glass of wine at the end of the day makes me feel relaxed and lets me know that the long day is is finally over. When I say small I mean about 75ml. I'm not having a whole glass, and I don't have it everyday, but I will burn extra calories in my morning workout just to have a place for my red wine at the end of the day.

I also try to give myself a splurge meal once a week. It's a meal where I can have anything that I want; no restrictions. I still enter the food in my diary, but I don't stress about the extra calories. I might try to workout a little more to compensate. I try to make my splurge meals at home just to keep them as healthy as possible, but if I really want some chili's southwest egg rolls then I'm going to have them. Last week was a cheeseburger, and this week will be Easter Dinner with all the trimmings.
  • Theweebarrell
    Theweebarrell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yeah i still have what i fancy everyday, i dont plan my food planner in advance i eat what i fancy then fill it in as i go along. That doesn't always work for everyone but i find it works for me. I always have my wotsits, sqaure crisps etc with my lunch everyday .
    Go with what works for you best.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Other than a few minor tweaks here and there (switching from bread to fat free tortilla for sandwiches) my overall eating habits haven't changed much. I tend to eat healthy in general but if i want the burger and fries I'll go for it as long as it fits in my daily calorie limit. In addition I usually give myself Sunday to eat whatever I want. This is more or less how I plan on eating for the rest of my life and I'm too much of a foodie to deny myself, so now I'm just more aware to do it in moderation.
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    One thing I've noticed about MFP is you have those who have that all or nothing attitude and those like you who still eat what they want, just in smaller portions. I've just come to terms with it. That's their weight loss journey, not mine. Either way is not right or wrong. It just is.

Myself, I splurge, but make the allowances fit into my daily calorie count. There's nothing worse for a foodie than eating strictly a certain way.

It works for some, not all. Do what works for you.
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    BTW, since starting, not only has my weight gone down, but so has my BP, my blood sugar levels (after an overnight fast) are much improved (I was borderline diabetic last year, much improved this year), as are my cholesterol levels (blood work as a whole, actually).
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    For the last week I have cut out Diet Coke/Pepsi, and I didn't really miss it. Well I decided to get a diet coke from BK today, and I took the first sip and I didn't like it. It tasted like nothing to me with carbonation, but I took another drink because I just wanted pop...and then as I took a few more drinks that taste came back of why I like it. Do I want to drink it every day, NO, but am I going to get a LG Diet coke from BK once a week, or if we go out to eat probably!!!

As far as the fast food goes, I can't eat it just once and be okay with it. I think I am truly addicted to fast food because once I get it out of my body, I don't crave it but the minute I eat it that one time I binge on fast food for weeks...it is a vicious cycle!

But as of right now the plan I'm following is eating lots of protein, if I'm hungry eat protein, or veggies as well. I'm going to be eating 3 pieces or cups of fruit a day, and 3 cups or more of veggies each day. Also I will be sure to get in at least 1 serving of brown rice each day, and then I am going to eat only whole wheat pasta, bread, etc when I am wanting carbs.

I also have used Herbalife products in the past, so I will still do my shakes each day just to use up the product that I still have. I want to learn to eat properly, and not lose the weight by just drinking 2 shakes a day, and eating 1 main meal, etc...I can't do it! I want to do this the healthy way, and the right way.

Sorry for going off topic a bit!!!