losing my umph :(

Options
I've been losing weight now for over a year I've lost 55 lbs but gained a few back I go to the gym almost everyday and try to change up my routine every so often but always getting in at least 75 min of cardio and weights everyday and then last week i just couldn't bring myself to go to the gym or do much of anything else but sit on my couch and eat :( i did this for four days and yesterday i hit the gym really forcing myself to go and still looking for any reason not to go :( so instead of my 75 min i did only 45 and still did my weights now the thing is after those four days i stepped on the scale and found i lost two pounds....i mean what the heck i work out like a crazy person lol and lose nothing but then sit on my butt four days and lose ???? that so confuses me ....then today I found a friend from high school on face book and she looks great and i still have 60 + lbs to go and i realized I'm not ever going to look "like that " no matter how hard i work at it...I know i know i should learn to be happy with who i am but some days are just easier to do that then others...I'm not ready to give up yet just having a umph moment ....thanks for letting me vent :)

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm having that kinda moment too....it seems I work really hard to not lose....or stay the same...
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Maybe the little workout break did your body some good. I think everyone has as you put it an 'umph' moment...or 10. Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Sometimes its hard to make sense of what your body does. I lost like crazy and then for 2 months the scale did not move. And then it did again. I didn't change anything but finally my body responded.
    Hope you get your umph back soon!
  • mommy3x
    mommy3x Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We all have those days - it kind of seems as though you push yourself so much that your body needs a little rest. Try doing other activities instead of the gym. For example, do you like hiking? Recruit a friend or two and go hiking - good for the body and soul! Maybe try signing up for a class that you've always wanted to try. Maybe kickboxing or boxing for women (very hard!! - but fun!!). Do not give up on yourself, you can do it! It isn't easy, but it is worth it!! Good luck on your journey!!
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate. I've been at this for 10+ months and have lost a lot of weight and I feel great but I have many "downer moments". I work out like crazy doing a variety of activities and have only lost like 5 lbs the past 3-4 months. I get frustrated and sometimes take a mini-break (1-2 days) and come back strong. Just remind yourself that it's more about how you feel than the number on the scale. When I get down I look at an old picture or myself or try on an old pair old pair of size 24 jeans I keep around to remind myself of how far I have come. We didn't get unhealthy overnight so this is going to take some time. In the meantime be proud of your accomplishments and stay strong. Good luck!
  • mattsdad1961
    mattsdad1961 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    for whatever its worth...just the other day I realized I'll never look like Matthew McConaughey
    ...shocking, I know...I mean despite the fact that I have a 3 1/2 hour commute each day, a 10 hour work day, I'm 50 years old (soon) and a family and home to take care of and share time with...I really can't understand why I can't look like Matthew (hehehe!!!) My wife really thinks he is HOT...I wish I could look like that....however...
    It's so tempting to measure ourselves by the wrong standards. I have been so out of shape for so long...and the media constantly present body images that are contrary to anything I could reasonably achieve...however...
    I find that if I measure myself against myself...not who I wish to be..but honestly evaluate my health...I feel so much better about who I am AND who I am becoming. Do my clothes fit better? Can I participate in more physically challenging activities? Can I walk up flights of stairs without stopping at each landing to 'catch my breath'? Am I a better role model for my son - physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually? Am I developing self-discipline, a healthy self-esteem, emotional consistancy along with improving my health?
    I think I understand a little bit of the challenge you are bumping into...maybe you need to shake up your routine..not just different exercises at the gym...try the C25K program...or check out ZUMBA....get involved with some recreational sports teams or clubs...
    I wish you all the success you wish for yourself...you have come so far...keep at it and BREAK THROUGH TO THE NEXT YOU!