exercise and exhaustion

Options
I started exercising about 3 weeks ago on my treadmill and stationary bike. I figured that by now I wouldn't be so tired all of the time. It seems like the more I workout the more tired I am. I walk 40 minutes on the treadmill at 3mph and 15 minutes on the bike at 12mph. Is this to much??? Is that why I am so tired??

Replies

• mustanggirl92
    Options
    I started exercising about 3 weeks ago on my treadmill and stationary bike. I figured that by now I wouldn't be so tired all of the time. It seems like the more I workout the more tired I am. I walk 40 minutes on the treadmill at 3mph and 15 minutes on the bike at 12mph. Is this to much??? Is that why I am so tired??
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Eating makes a big difference in how you feel. Do you eat something after you exercise. I eat a 1/2 apple with peanut butter. It really helps me and are you drinking your water?
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    First off, we have more questions for you along with the ones about food and water that ICAN asked you.
    1) Have you gotten more tierd as time went on, or is it the same as when you started?
    2) Are you haveing stress at home/work or both?
    3) What do you mean exausted. Are you light headed? Are your knees feeling like they are going to buckle? is your heart racing? Or do you just want to sleep?
    4) You said 3.0 miles, is that flat? or up hill.
    5) Are you consuming sugar? More or less then before?
    6) Have you been tested for heart problems or blood problems? I worry that it SOUNDS a LITTLE like AOD, Adult Onset Diabeties. type 1 (Spelling most likely wrong here.) :blushing:
    it is a simple test and it could save your life.
    --Diann...
  • mustanggirl92
    Options
    No I have been tested for everything before I began exercising. I am actually a pretty healthy person aside from wanting to lose weight. I am a nurse so I am pretty aware of that kinda thing, but thank you for the concern. I am more tired than before. Meaning by 4 in the afternoon I just want to sleep. I drink a lot of water. Like 4- 32 oz glasses a day. I am going to try to eat after exercising. Thank you I will let you know if that helps!!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all your calories? Including your exercise calories?

You could be hungry. Your body needs calories to repair itself. (this is a lesson I learned myself):flowerforyou:
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You may need to play with the time of day you exercise. Your body is obviously trying to keep up with these new demands; if fatigue is the result, workout in the evening so you pass out in bed. I'm the opposite, it gets me revved up and I can't sleep (reason I'm trying to stop working out at night & do it in the morning)!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Stay hydrated, make sure you are eatting all of your calories and sleep.
  • blessedmamma
    Options
    Okay mustanggirl,

Nurse 2 Nurse: You're drinking twice the recommended H20, you're tired, an you're not concerned. That's not sarcastic, but I really want to know. I'm headed towards 120 oz H20 for the day, and there fore going to the bathroom all day, and I've been wondering if this is okay. I've dropped 10 lbs in the past 2 wks. and I started at 160 lbs. I've seen people on The Biggest Loser not be able to do that, and they workout all day! With Jillian! I was only ravenous today, but I didn't eat all my calories for the past two days. I've had a headache for 4 of the past 14 days as well.

I was searching the site for water topics and found yours.
  • aahlight
    Options
    one of the replys was so true...eat, and drink water..I was feeling really tired, and also started getting light headaches...now that I am eating, and drinking mass water (mostly whilst I workout) the problem has ebbed...just keep going..that is what is most important....you can follow my journey at myspace...alana spring
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I used to be tired all of the time after exercise and now that I look back on it. I was probably doing to much.

I keep my heart rate at what it should be for my age and for the "fat loss" category instead of the cardio.

I don't need to work out my heart, I want to lose the fat. So I go slow and steady for 25-35 minutes on the eliptical depending on how I am feeling that day.

Slow and steady wins the race.

I no longer feel exhausted all the time because of exercise and the pounds are coming off faster. I am not trying to win a marathon, just get my body moving.

Try slowing down and reducing the amount you do and you will find your balance.

And bless your soul, you are a nurse, that is enough hard work already. You are on your feet all day and that counts as exercise too.

Blessings to you,

Connie Lynn
  • blessedmamma
    Options
    You know? I had to reschedule my workouts to evenings. Whenever I'd workout at 6am, I'd crash at 9. Now, The crash helps to get me to sleep!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Are you taking one day off or easy each week? Your body might be telling you that it needs to recover?
  • mustanggirl92
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advise!!! I think I was pushing my body to hard. I went back to my nutrient book from college and read that when your heart rate is in the fat burning zone (91-120 bpm) this zone starts training your body to increase the rate of fat released from the cells to the muscles for fuel. Meaning that I have been exercising to vigorously (and not working myself up to it) and I have exceeded what my body could handle. Making me feel the way that I feel. And not losing the weight I should be. So to burn more total calories you need to exercise for more time in this zone than pushing yourself to hard for to little amount of time in the next zone. I should have known this but I am a person who gets all gun ho and tries to do to much!!!
  • mustanggirl92
    Options
    Thanks, I wish you the best of luck!!