Not sure what the goal weight is

Options
So I have actually been on for a little bit, but finally thought I'd try the message boards. After years at settling on an okay weight (that was officially "overweight"), I decided my 40s were the time to get down to a healthy weight - and a happier jeans size too. I'm 40 (turning 41 next week) in a desk job and never have been one to pay much attention to diet or exercise until now. And it is a struggle, but luckily I've have noticeable results to motivate. (I assume the answer to the question, "Have you lost weight?" is just, "Yes, thank you.")

I am still confused about what my "goal weight" is. I have gone on numerous web sites with BMI and other calendars, asked health professionals, etc. but I just get pretty broad rangers. I am close to hitting my original goal weight (Hooray!!!), but don't think I should stop there. However, in the end, I want to be at a weight I can manage going forward - not a skinnier weight that I will always fight hard to keep and then have to go back on a low calorie plan like this one.

Anyway, this week is likely not the week to hit the original goal - Passover and all. But I love reading everyone's comments on other posts. Good eating to everyone!

Replies

• knrbaker
    knrbaker Posts: 21
    Options
    You may find your goal weight is what you feel comfortable and healthy at. I like to think about the size pants I want to wear as my goal weight. Look somewhere in the middle of all the numbers and shoot for that. Good luck.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    Well, I don't think anyone should be able to tell you what your goal wt should be. For me personally, I know that when I was about 175-180# I was a size 14 (American) and felt great about myself. According to all the charts I should be 148-153, (5'7" female, small boned) but I have been down to 160# and looked like death warmed over. I think you should pick a wt that you feel good at and go for that as your goal! Good luck
  • dalycm
    dalycm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Is there an alternative measure to healthy weight that differs from BMI? I like spreadsheets and numbers, but find the low BMI for my height absurd and even the high weight limit seems underfed. I am very near the goal I set for myself and will now concentrate on fitness and wellness, but I still want a measurement system to refer to. Thanks
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've set my "goal" weight at the top-end of the healthy BMI range for my stats. That being said, I may tweak it more or less as I approach it. My goal is to be healthy and look good. If that happens at 175 lbs or 150 lbs does not really matter to me.
  • zglmom
    zglmom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When we reach our forties I think our goal should be a couple pounds heavier than we were in our twenties. I weighed 146 when I got married and was a size 6. (I am VERY tall) I now weigh 151 and think that is little enough. My goal was to get back to 146 but I really don't think I will do that now. Just want to maintain. Don't want my face to look wrinkled up:)