Kind of embarrassing, but...

Options
Ok so ever since I've started eating healthier and exercising more I feel as if I'm a bit more gassy and bloated. Doesn't make sense to me... I feel as though living a healthier lifestyle I should be more regular and shouldn't feel so bloated all the time. My only thought is maybe my body needs time to adjust, but I'm not sure. Any input? Thanks :)

Replies

• ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too. I think its cuz of all the fiber that you get when you eat healthy. Hopefully once your body gets used to it that will let up some.
  • KLTooley
    KLTooley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completely understand...had the same issue myself.. It comes from eating more fiber and whole grains...If you are taking in enough water with all the fiber, things should move accordingly...Sadly the side of all that fiber can be gas...Just watch what foods your eating and then see how they effect you...some food s will be worse than others...Hope this helps...at least you know you aren't alone with this. Good LUck!
  • Momcharisma88
    Momcharisma88 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    idk my hub tells me im like a sailor the way i fart now. but ive also been eating more beans and broccoli in my diet and i know certain foods can cause it
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    It's probably increased amounts of fiber & veggies. Happens to me, too.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If you increase your fiber intake too fast, you can have gas and bloating. Try eating less fiber or spreading it out throughout your day - or you could need MORE fiber. 25-30g is what's recommended for most people.
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    it is probably caused by your new diet. Are you eating a lot more veggies than before? It is actually common for a lot of veggie diets to produce gas.

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Start-Eating-Vegetarian-Diet-Without-Getting-Gassy-5365907
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My favorite bowel regulator: Original Plain Yogurt. Makes a yummy dip if you add a little seasoning. Or a wonderful breakfast with fresh or forzen berries. Can even mix with salsa for a creamy dip. Gas is a small issue when you consider all the benefits of eating right and exercising. But a good solo walk will get things moving and you can pass all the gas you want as long as no one is down wind. ;c}
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    More water. I drink a gallon a day and things have been "moving" quite nicely since I made that change. :) Also I'm not using as much lotion as my body is so hydrated. :)
  • dross327
    dross327 Posts: 7
    Options
    Sometimes that gas/bloat can be caused from bacteria that thrive on sugars... You may not have enough "good bacteria" in your gut. Try adding some probiotics- not the ones in yogurt, but from a vitamin or health food store. Another option is also to add some chewable enzymes to your meals. It will help you breakdown the food better. Those are also available at the health food store. I usually use vegetable based enzymes. Good luck.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I thought girls didn't fart? :tongue:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

We don't fart. We "pass gas". :laugh:
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Usually it will pass as you get used to the new diet. One word of caution if you use high fiber bars, some of them cause insane gas that is really, really stinky! Fiber One is called "the fart bar" because it's a top offender (in more ways than one!) There is an entire blog dedicated to people telling their awful gas stories, that's how bad they are. You have been warned. :)
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's the Kashi GoLEAN cereal:
    http://www.pleasegodno.com/archives/20-1-cup-Kashi-GoLEAN-Crunch-+-12-cup-milk-Endless-stomach-churning-gas..html

The comments are a riot...LOL all day long
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Sometimes that gas/bloat can be caused from bacteria that thrive on sugars... You may not have enough "good bacteria" in your gut. Try adding some probiotics- not the ones in yogurt, but from a vitamin or health food store. Another option is also to add some chewable enzymes to your meals. It will help you breakdown the food better. Those are also available at the health food store. I usually use vegetable based enzymes. Good luck.

Thank you! Ordered my chewable enzymes this morning. :)
  • hgellings
    Options
    Usually it will pass as you get used to the new diet. One word of caution if you use high fiber bars, some of them cause insane gas that is really, really stinky! Fiber One is called "the fart bar" because it's a top offender (in more ways than one!) There is an entire blog dedicated to people telling their awful gas stories, that's how bad they are. You have been warned. :)

I do NOT eat Fiber one for that reason! Lol Thanks for the warning though. :)
  • hgellings
    Options

Ummm, we don't... :wink:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    More water. I drink a gallon a day and things have been "moving" quite nicely since I made that change. :) Also I'm not using as much lotion as my body is so hydrated. :)

THIS!
  • Kate48230
    Kate48230 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    The Kashi Go Lean gets me (tooting) too! Can't eat the stuff.
  • liagarden
    liagarden Posts: 54
    Options
    For some people, that's just what happens when eating carbs. Sugars ferment in your gut and cause gas. The great thing I remember when i did total Atkins induction diet about 8 years ago was no gas at all! Chicken and vegetables. Eggs & bacon, little vegetables. Fish and vegetables. Cheese, asparagus, lettuce, sliced turkey, etc. After 2 weeks, very bad breath (from ketosis), but no gas! Eat some good yogurt (not processed, sugary kind) to help your gut and maybe take an enzyme or even Beano with a big meal. Look into food combining, too.:bigsmile: PS: I did lose 14 lbs in 14 days
  • teresa46
    teresa46 Posts: 3
    Options
    ha ha ,i like it,you sound like my hubby :laugh: