Help! I can't lose my midsection, no matter what I do!

Options
Hello everyone,

I needed some help...no matter how hard I try, I can't seem to lose my abdominal fat and love handles. My tummy area is of greater concern. I excersize regularily and eat healthy, barely eating carbs (such as bread and rice). I eat healthy- I mainly have fruits, veggies, and lean protein or whey protein. I also drink 6-8 glasses of whater a day, if not more.

I've read that targetting one area isn't the best, instead working the entire body is the best. I work out about 5-6 times a week, losing 600-800 cals. each work out, either on highest incline treadmill, fast paced or a fitness classes.

I try abdominal excersizes but still no luck. I can't do traditional cruches/sit ups because I have a problem with my neck. I know how to do a proper crunch/sit (use the back, not neck). But it still affects me.

I'm not sure if it's my food diet or workouts. It seems like I lose weight everywhere else, but never my midsection. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Replies

• barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's my understanding that the mid-section on females is the last place to lose because our body is genetically programmed to "pad" our "baby making/baby protecting" areas and will give up that fat last. Sorry to say, but you probably won't lose it until you are nearer to your goal weight. After I had my son I did Winsor Pilates and they were amazing for getting my stomach in shape quickly. maybe doing some pilates will help build the muscle there? Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back what you burn? That's important for losing body fat. The belly will probably be the last to go. I've been doing this since November 2010 and mine is only just starting to burn off (heavy weights and strength/resistance training is great for this!!).

You can't target burn or spot reduce. It would be nice. But where we store our is more due to genetics and our ancestry. Just keep working on it.

And you won't build muscle unless you are lifting heavy weights and doing some serious strength/resistance training (and getting plenty of protein and calories). It's all we can do to preserve our muscle mass when on a calorie restriction and doing intense cardio. Heck, it's hard enough for men to build muscle much less women.

We all have toned and defined muscles (and 6-pack abs!). We just need to burn off the layer of fat covering them. And when you get close to a healthy weight that is really hard to do.
  • 30tips
    30tips Posts: 132
    Options
    Do you get some weight lifting in your workout?
  • jsilverpt
    Options
    Try getting more healthy fat into your diet. I have a lot of training clients that cut out all fat, even good fat and have a hard time losing belly fat. Avocados, nuts, and fish are really good for you. Also make sure that you are lifting weights in all major muscle groups 3-4 times a week. Lean muscle burns a lot of calories, especially fat, through out the day. Last tip is to not just target your abdomin. You need to focus on your core as a whole so doing things like planks, overhead squats and stability exercises will help a lot!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    a thinner midsection starts in the kitchen (or that's what the experts say). You can't 'work off' one area or target just one area. You have to lose overall to notice a difference. I have strong abs and work hard on them but they are under the fat... :(
  • ♥Lexi♥
    ♥Lexi♥ Posts: 126
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I actually would consume 1200 cals a day and workout 600-800 cals. I was told that I need to eat back some of the cals. I burn after working out. I didn't know this, but am now changing that.

As for weights..I do them some times, 1-2 times a week.

I'm actually at a healthy weight, 5'9", 147 lbs and have a BMI of 21.7. I just can't seme to lose the midsection for what ever reason.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    From what I understand and have researched, everyones body is different to not only how and where they store fat, but also where they lose it first. You just have to keep plugging along with your fat loss, and sooner or later the fat in that area will start to go away. I also was in the same situation. I have lost a total of 26 pounds and have a total goal of around 32-37 pounds. When i first started losing, I noticed my mid section was the same size for about the first 15 pounds and all the other areas, I was losing it. Then suddenly my belly started getting smaller and everything else was staying the same. One article I read a few years ago made a statement that may have been complete opinion, but it sounded good. It said that the first place you put on the fat is usually the last place you will lose it. In my case that has definitely been true. My belly was the first place I started putting on my weight, and it has been the last place to come off.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    a thinner midsection starts in the kitchen (or that's what the experts say). You can't 'work off' one area or target just one area. You have to lose overall to notice a difference. I have strong abs and work hard on them but they are under the fat... :(

Yes. 80% diet and the quality of calorie is very, very important. And carbs are good for you as long as they are healthy carbs. (fruits, veggies, whole grains and dairy).
  • jkq2003
    jkq2003 Posts: 27
    Options
    I actually have been losing weight in my midsection and that is normally the last place that I lose. I have been mainly walking and I work out with my Wii doing yoga, free step and strength training 30 to 45 minutes 5 days a week. I have seen a tremendous change in my mid section with this regiment. I also alternate in some type of aerobic exercise whether it is zumba or core rhythms which works my abs without me having to get on the floor.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.

I actually would consume 1200 cals a day and workout 600-800 cals. I was told that I need to eat back some of the cals. I burn after working out. I didn't know this, but am now changing that.

As for weights..I do them some times, 1-2 times a week.

I'm actually at a healthy weight, 5'9", 147 lbs and have a BMI of 21.7. I just can't seme to lose the midsection for what ever reason.

heavy weights and strength/resistance training and eating as clean as you can.

Please read through "Relatively Light and Trying to get Leaner". It's a long post but will open your eyes. It explains how to burn off body fat when you are at a healthy weight.
  • ♥Lexi♥
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Much appreciated!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Maybe making your diary public would help too! :)
  • ♥Lexi♥
    Options
    Opps! I didn't realize my diary was private. OK, I'll change that right now.
    NB: anywhere there are "Quick Calories", those are homemade fruit and/or veggie smoothies. OR whey protein shakes with fruits.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ♥Lexi♥
    Options
    what's bump?
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I second Pilates. After I had my first child my abs were a mess. I worked out and lost all the baby weight, but my abs were still mushy and round. A friend suggested Pilates and it was amazing. In 6 weeks I had tight abs again. I really enjoyed it. There are tons of DVDs out there, plus you could go to a studio too.

Now that I've begun working out again, I've turned to Pilates again.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Cardio is a great start; you also want to make sure you are working your entire core. Do you utilize a gym? Trainer? Work out DVDs? A lot of cardio, core/entire body exercises, and snacking on nuts/fruit every two hours a day helped me fight stubborn belly fat.

If you can afford it, try out a professional trainer for a day. They can evaluate what -you- need to do specifically. If you can’t afford one, I found that Gold's Gym work out DVD's from Walmart (6 bucks!) helped me tone my entire body and help flatten my belly by working my entire body/core. This is a great alternative if you can't afford gym classes or a professional trainer. I failed at the more expensive work out DVD’s because they were usually too advanced, but gold gym’s exercises are easy to learn and do!

Keep at it! You’ll get there. :)
    Good Luck.
  • spleece
    spleece Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuildingsecrets.com/articles/whats_the_required_bodyfat_to_see_your_abs.php

Try looking at this site from Tom Venuto. He knows a lot about what it takes to see your abs
  • NYCDutchess
    NYCDutchess Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I take CKO boxing classes...In 4 classes I've seen a phenominal difference!!!! It's a total body workout and a incredible cardio workout...I add cardio and abs other days as well...sometimes doing cardio in the day and the CKO class at night, but I can feel the difference in my core and abs. I've lost an inch already...

http://www.ckokickboxing.com/

There may not be this particular gym in your area, but if you google you may find something similar.

Good luck and most importantly DONT GIVE UP!!!
  • ♥Lexi♥
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone!