yummy low cal Easter apps??

Options
jchecks
jchecks Posts: 133
hi all!
we're heading to my Mother-in-law's house for Easter Sunday and I am bringing an app and dessert (cupcakes!) and was hoping to get some inspiration!! i was going to do shrimp cocktail...but then thought against it...
any suggestions welcome!!!

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    cut an English cuke into slices. Scoop low fat cottage cheese. Garnish with dill. You scoop out a little of the middle to make room for the cottage cheese.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    My dish to bring this year is deviled eggs, you can cut the calories by using only half the egg yokes and using a low cal mayo... :flowerforyou:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Humus and pita chips. Why not shrimp, it's only 84 cal for 3 oz.
  • jchecks
    Options
    Humus and pita chips. Why not shrimp?

i looooove shrimp! and still might do that...but am liking the ideas...especially the deviled eggs! great call!
  • girlalex7
    girlalex7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    LOTS and LOTS of Veggies with yummy dips like dill mixed in some fat free yougurt with squeeze of lemon and garlic, hummus, salsa.
    Also, a bowl of delicious pineapple, rasberries, strawberries. All the expensive stuff. Serve with fat free whipped cream on the side.
  • littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    CUCUMBER LOGS

rinse off cucumbers and dry

peel the skin of the cucumber to resemble stripes going down the sides of it length wise

cut into 2 inch rounds, and using a mellon baller, hollow out a section but leave some flesh in the bottom so it can sit like a cup

fill each cucumber round with hummus any store bought variety or make your own homemade.

garnish with half of one or all of the following, cherry tomato, black olives, and green olives halves

I use all of the above to denote various hummus flavors

the tomato top / red pepper hummus, the black olives/ garlic hummus and green olives/ veggie hummus, and so on,

its easy to make, mostly allergen free, low carb and healthy. enjoy!
  • jchecks
    Options
    loving all of these ideas!!!
  • nedezdha
    nedezdha Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm a huge Bruschetta fan. Dice up some fresh tomato with tiny minced onion and sprinkle with a little garlic and toss with the minutest amount of olive oil. I slice up french bread into real thin circles and then toast them in the toaster oven. After they come out all crispy I wait until just before I'm going to serve them to spoon on some of the bruschetta and then sprinkle very very lightly with some salt. yum yum!
  • nedezdha
    nedezdha Posts: 5
    Options
    My other favorite app is from Cooking Light. Chipotle Shrimp Cups. I have to always remind myself I can't eat them all.

Chipotle Shrimp Cups
    This quick appetizer gets smoke and savor from commercial salsa. And it's made all the easier by baking purchased wonton wrappers in mini muffin tins instead of preparing a homemade pastry. You can make all the components the night before (store filling in the refrigerator and cups at room temperature), then heat the assembled cups in the oven just before serving.

Ingredients
    36 wonton wrappers
    Cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
    1 cup chopped cooked shrimp
    1 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell peppers
    1 cup bottled chipotle salsa
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350º.

Fit 1 wonton wrapper into each of 36 mini muffin cups coated with cooking spray, pressing the wrappers into sides of cups. Bake at 350º for 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Keep wontons in muffin cups.

Combine cheese and remaining ingredients, and spoon about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture into each wonton cup. Bake at 350º for 6 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from muffin cups. Serve immediately.

Nutritional Information

Amount per serving
    Calories: 98
    Calories from fat: 24%
    Fat: 2.6g
    Saturated fat: 1.6g
    Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
    Protein: 7.6g
    Carbohydrate: 11.8g
    Fiber: 1.4g
    Cholesterol: 28mg
    Iron: 1mg
    Sodium: 202mg
    Calcium: 96mg
  • jchecks
    Options
    I'm a huge Bruschetta fan. Dice up some fresh tomato with tiny minced onion and sprinkle with a little garlic and toss with the minutest amount of olive oil. I slice up french bread into real thin circles and then toast them in the toaster oven. After they come out all crispy I wait until just before I'm going to serve them to spoon on some of the bruschetta and then sprinkle very very lightly with some salt. yum yum!

my husband and i are HUGE bruschetta fans!!! this is defintiely going on the 'try list!'
    thanks!!
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have a recipe for wontons that is amazing and pretty low cal. They are really fun to make and very original. You need to find wonton wrappers though, I think most grocery stores have them (in my case living next to china town is rather convenient for them). You just saute up veggies of your choice, I usually do a little garlic, onion, mushrooms, red pepper, carrots and a package of frozen spinach then add salt/pepper and any other spices you might like. Then you mix the veggies with either fat free or low fat cream cheese (I also usually throw in a laughing cow light to replace some of the cream cheese). You basically use about a half of a block. TO make the wontons, lay out about 8 squares at a time, get a little dish of water to dip your finger in to wet the edges, put about a teaspoon of mix in the center and fold the wonton in a triangle after wetting the sides and stick firmly but picking up the piece and pinching sides. Then pinch together the tips of the two bottom ends of the triangle to form a wonton. It makes a lot, like two cookie sheets full and the whole packet of wrappers usually. Then you put them on a baking sheet, spray with a little pam on the sheet and on top of the wontons, back for about 15 min at like 400 until they get nice and crispy. For the sauce I mix a dab of chilli sauce (usually found in chinese section) with soy sauce and some sugar free apricot preserves. They are seriously amazing and really fun to eat. I am obsessed with them and make them all the time. Crystal turned me onto them actually :)
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    Hummus in egg whites is actually delicious too :) I know it sounds strange but its really good. Especially the sabra brand. I know its higher caloires but I feel like its better calories than egg yolks and healthier. Plus you dont need much. You can also mix in chickpeas into a few of the yolks for the filling (never tried it but heard of it before). Instead of mayo you can use plain nonfat greek yogurt too.
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I see someone already picked my Fav. Brushchetta, so here's another few of my favorites :
    Shrimp Dip

This is always party favorite!

Makes 2-2/3 cups (serving size is 1 tablespoon)
    Prep Time 10 minutes
    Total Time: 20 minutes
    Ease of Preparation: Easy

Ingredients
    1/3 cup fat-free sour cream
    1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup diced onion
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    2 (7-ounce) cans tiny shrimp, drained

Preparation
    1. Combine the onions, celery chop up in the food processor add sour cream, cream cheese and seasonings in a food processor, and process until smooth.

2. Add shrimp and process until desired consistency. Cover and chill.

Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 19; fat 1g (sat <.5g, mono <.5g, poly <.5g); iron <.5mg; cholesterol 25.8mg; calcium 38.4mg; carbohydrate 1g; sodium 119mg; protein 3g; fiber 0g

Spinach Dip

This is a tried and true party favorite especially served in a pumpernickel bread bowl.

Makes 12 servings, about 1/3 cup each
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
    Ease of Preparation: Easy

Ingredients
    1- 10oz package of frozen chopped spinach (thawed, and well drained)
    1- 8oz container fat free sour cream
    ½ cup fat free mayonnaise
    ½ cup nonfat plain yogurt
    ½ teaspoon onion powder
    ½ teaspoon ground celery seed
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese

Preparation
    1. Mix all ingredients in medium bowl and chill 2-3 hours before serving.

2. Refrigerate left overs.

Nutritional Notes: per serving: calories 67; fat 3g (sat 1.7g, mono 0g, poly 0.7g); iron 0.5mg; cholesterol 10.5mg; calcium 135mg; carbohydrate 6g; sodium 204mg; protein 5.4g; fiber 1g
  • healthydoseofglitter
    healthydoseofglitter Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    good lord those shrimp wontons sound fabulous ... my tummy started growling while i was reading it ... cant wait to make them!!!!