I lost more weight do just cardio

Options
Correction: *I lost more weight by doing just cardio*

About 5 years ago when I dropped down to 114, I did it by doing almost all cardio and maybe some band work. Also, I never counted a calorie but I did watch what I ate. I don't know if it had to do with me being 20 but I almost feel frustrated bc I do intense workouts and I don't drop the weight like I do when I just do cardio. I know there are benefits of strength training but maybe it isn't for every body type?

Replies

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    No, it definitely is for every body type.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

About 5 years ago when I dropped down to 114, I did it by doing almost all cardio and maybe some band work. Also, I never counted a calorie but I did watch what I ate. I don't know if it had to do with me being 20 but I almost feel frustrated bc I do intense workouts and I don't drop the weight like I do when I just do cardio. I know there are benefits of strength training but maybe it isn't for every body type?

weight lifting is good for you, and without it doing cardio alone you will end up burning off muscle as well as fat. Doing strength training allows you to lose weight with minimal loss of muscle. I'm assuming your goal it to lose fat, not weight in general, if that is the case, you must do strength training.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    No, that's wrong dude. It isn't about what body type you are: it's about what body type you want. The studies behind muscle both burning more and weighing more than fat are innumerable. Yes, you will weigh less because you'll have a lower lean muscle mass.

If you want to look like a 12 year old boy, run away.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Only cardio and you are losing more muscle mass

I would suggest keeping the strength training :D
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Strength training is definitely for every body type!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yea your signature says it all- you are about the skinny and the number on the scale. Weight training and strength training will keep your weight from getting really low, because muscle mass is heavy. Zach said it best - "It isn't about what body type you are: it's about what body type you want". You don't want toned, you want light- in that case have all the cardio you want.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options

Yes, it it for everybody. Let me tell you a little story. My Trainer at Bootcamp360 married his wife and she was 99 lbs and wearing a size 4-6, she now weighs in at 115 and is a size 0. She can do one arm dumbbell rows with 55lb dumbbells. That's almost 1/2 her body weight. She looks lean and sexy and not bulky at all. Building muscle is key. Each lb of muscle burns an additional 35 calories per day. So go for the muscle. You are also older, granted not by much, but our bodies are always changing. Hang in there.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

because you lose a lot of muscle mass doing just cardio. So you lose weight but some if fat and a lot is muscle. Muscle is denser than fat so it takes up less space on your body (5lbs of lean muscle mass is a lot smaller than 5lbs of fat mass). You probably didn't build any muscle back then; that takes heavy weights.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Yes, it it for everybody. Let me tell you a little story. My Trainer at Bootcamp360 married his wife and she was 99 lbs and wearing a size 4-6, she now weighs in at 115 and is a size 0. She can do one arm dumbbell rows with 55lb dumbbells. That's almost 1/2 her body weight. She looks lean and sexy and not bulky at all. Building muscle is key. Each lb of muscle burns an additional 35 calories per day. So go for the muscle. You are also older, granted not by much, but our bodies are always changing. Hang in there.

I LOVE THESE LITTLE STORIES!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    No, that's wrong dude. It isn't about what body type you are: it's about what body type you want. The studies behind muscle both burning more and weighing more than fat are innumerable. Yes, you will weigh less because you'll have a lower lean muscle mass.

Dude, nice dress....LOL J/K
    Your comment, if you want to look like a 12 year old boy cracked me up. Funny, very funny.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    And you can read an article about being 'skinny fat' in various magazines. It's possible to be skinny and be unhealthy! For women, strength training is a must because we start losing bone mass in our 30s & 40s. So if you're just doing cardio, you're losing fat and muscle and not keeping your bones healthy! Strength training with kettle bells a few times a week is how I roll. I also do Centergy 2-3 times/week (combination of yoga and pilates). You can look on about.com for yoga exercises and check out power yoga. You're using your own body weight for strength training. No fancy equipment needed!
  • sunrises
    sunrises Posts: 3
    Options
    From http://www.superskinnyme.com/Weight Loss/Exercise/Weight_Training/Weight_Training_Weight_Loss.html:
    -Gives your body shape. You cannot lose fat in specific areas of your body, but you can add muscle in specific places, creating -a shape where you want/ need to.
    -Muscle burns calories, it increases metabolism.
    -Aids weight loss in conjunction with cardio.
    -Can give you fantastic posture, making you look elegant and graceful.
    -Tones and smoothes you body – your cloths hang better.
    -You look better on the beach!
    -Increases strength – reducing risk of injury
    -Improves bone density
    -Improves insulin resistance, blood pressure, gastrointestinal transit time, decreases risk of illnesses such as diabetes, heart disease and cancer and helps speed up metabolism.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Yea your signature says it all- you are about the skinny and the number on the scale. Weight training and strength training will keep your weight from getting really low, because muscle mass is heavy. Zach said it best - "It isn't about what body type you are: it's about what body type you want". You don't want toned, you want light- in that case have all the cardio you want.

My signature is not me it is Kate Beckinsale from underworld. So I am not sure what you meant by "says it all"
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

You said 12 year old boy lol
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^ THIS.

You may think you look better "skinny" but I guarantee you look better a little heavier with toned muscles.

I was down to about 102 a few years ago, in a size 0. Looking back at those pictures now I really looked awful. My skin was saggy-like, my arms like sticks and my face gaunt.

Today I weigh in at 110 and I STILL fit in those size 0's...some of my jeans fit better now. I look healthy, I don't look anorexic, I'm not obsessed by the scale, I eat probably 1000 more calories a day than I used to (seriously). It is a much healthier lifestyle AND I don't have to sit on some boring cardio machine for hours!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options

hmm i do weights and my weight is pretty low.... so strictly speaking weight and strength training doesnt stop your weight from getting low
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options

hmm i do weights and my weight is pretty low.... so strictly speaking weight and strength training doesnt stop your weight from getting low
  • Myssrenee
    Myssrenee Posts: 24
    Options
    . By looking at what others are saying I think I may try this INSANITY work out...my friend has it and she offered it to me...I have been walking everyday, and also doing "Just Dance 2" on the Wii which gets your heart rate pumping...But I know eventually I will need something else to keep my motivation and attention going. =)
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    And you can read an article about being 'skinny fat' in various magazines. It's possible to be skinny and be unhealthy! For women, strength training is a must because we start losing bone mass in our 30s & 40s. So if you're just doing cardio, you're losing fat and muscle and not keeping your bones healthy! Strength training with kettle bells a few times a week is how I roll. I also do Centergy 2-3 times/week (combination of yoga and pilates). You can look on about.com for yoga exercises and check out power yoga. You're using your own body weight for strength training. No fancy equipment needed!

OOOO i see what you meant. Yea this girl at work is a twig and she has been doing this bootcamp thing and she is gaining weight and is not a big fan but she was not in shape and an unhealthy 00. Also this girl on Americas next top model was so skinny she was doing a pose while squatting and couldnt get up out of the squat bc she has no strength and Tyra Banks made a comment about skinny girls thinking they are in shape bc they are skinny but they are def not.

Also I dont think you guys checked out my workouts before I do crazy intervals and circuits so I am doing mad weight training I was just thinking about how little I weighed in comparrison to just doing cardio.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options

OOOO i see what you meant. Yea this girl at work is a twig and she has been doing this bootcamp thing and she is gaining weight and is not a big fan but she was not in shape and an unhealthy 00. Also this girl on Americas next top model was so skinny she was doing a pose while squatting and couldnt get up out of the squat bc she has no strength and Tyra Banks made a comment about skinny girls thinking they are in shape bc they are skinny but they are def not.

Also I dont think you guys checked out my workouts before I do crazy intervals and circuits so I am doing mad weight training I was just thinking about how little I weighed in comparrison to just doing cardio.

Example: I posted this Thurssday

20 Min Stairs level 4 (calorie burn program)

20 Tredmill - Incline 7.5 at 3.5 MPH 2-3 mins then walk backwards and increase until incline 15 ulternating walking forward and backwards. SO every 2-3 mins of walking switch to backwards then go back to walking and increase incline and keep repeating. The last minute I ran 6.0 MPH at 15.0 incline.
    5 min cool down on Tredmill.

Circuit
    40 Rounds, 15 seconds exercise, 15 seconds rest

1. Skater Lunge Jumps - 10, 10, 9, 10
    2. Reptile Push ups - 5 1/2, 5, 3, 2
    3. Jump Squats - 12, 9, 9, 10
    4. Pulls ups (lying down on floor under poll so rev push up I guess) - 7, 6, 6, 7
    5. Jumping Jacks - 14, 16, 16, 12
    6. Dancing Crab - 13, 11, 8, 11
    7. Hanging leg raise (from pull up bar) - 7, 5, 5, 7
    8. Dive Bombers - 4, 5, 3, 4
    9. Plank knee tucks - 15, 15, 15, 18
    10. Gets ups - 5, Stopped b/c I didnt like the way my knees felt the second time around so I jogged in place

I couldnt even do abs after this!!! I was DONE!!