How to deal with stretch marks?!

Options
Hey all,
When I was big before I started losing weight I gained a LOT of stretch marks mainly around my abdominal area, after losing 7 and a half stone (107lbs and counting!) I still have them from where it stretched the skin when I was "larger" lol, I don't have any excess skin which is really good but the stretch marks do really annoy me as the summer is approaching and taking my top off will be very off putting.

My abdominal area is defined/flat now and I have built up some good muscle, but it is let down a lot due to the appearance of stretch marks, any advice would be great!

I also have some bad stretch marks on my biceps from where I have built muscle up from doing weights, so the same applies here too, thanks!

:smile:

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    See a dermatologist. There's no miracle cream out there. It just takes time for the marks to fade to white.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    See a dermatologist. There's no miracle cream out there. It just takes time for the marks to fade to white.
    Thanks, what could a dermatologist do/offer?
  • Joy_Grace
    Options
    Have you tried Bio Oil? Its brilliant... just have to use it religiously and have patience. x
  • lisapickering
    Options
    You might want to try a Vitamin E cream. Palmer's makes a cream that they target to pregnant women, stretch marks, scars that might help. It's not a miracle cream but it's worth a try... and it smells good! Not sure if they sell it in the UK but I'm sure there is some sort of Vit E cream.
  • rosey808
    rosey808 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My dermatologist prescribed a cream for my stretch marks. I used it for 6 months after each of my girls were born and now they are barely noticeable. I don't recall the name of it. They are still there, but just faded and white.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I think dermatologists can either prescribe or perform laser treatment for stretch marks. They can also recommend a topical treatment for stretch marks including some prescription-only products.
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    Have you tried Bio Oil? Its brilliant... just have to use it religiously and have patience. x

ditto!!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to know if any of these creams will work. You can use them, but they are not clinically proven to work.

Think of your stretch marks as battle scars. Don't be ashamed of them, they are evidence of what an incredible warrior you are!

Congratulations on your achievement :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Bio Oil!!! Love it!! I had "watermelon tummy" after having my son and stretch marks on my arms & hips from weight gain prior to that.

Im not sure about the regulations where you are but here in the states there are Laser treatments available for stretch marks because they are basically a type of scar tissue, short of lasers & surgery there is no way to fully get rid o stretch marks they just fade and lighten like any other scar. The lasers hurt though, a good Dr will use a numbing cream prior to treatment on scar tissue.

Another natural way is tanning though, it helps blend everything in with the extra pigment it adds to your skin.
  • jcb2kds
    jcb2kds Posts: 40
    Options
    Wow! Congrats on the huge weight loss!

...but sorry to say that stretch marks NEVER go away. They are essentially scars so they are there forever, but just like other scars they do fade a bit. I've had two kids so I have them as well:-( So not fair
  • vickuli
    vickuli Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have lost 90 lbs and I also have streatch marks. I also had 3 kids making it worse. I am using over the counter firming lotions that help lighten them along with palmers coco butter. That is only topical so you have to keep using them. Exfolating the skin with a sugar scrub or salt scrub will also help. But I started taking Amino Sculpt, Look into it. I have noticed a difference.
  • nelliemosa
    Options
    I'm not sure you'll ever get rid of them entirely, but I'd definitely recommend Palmers cocoa butter and Bio-oil, both of which you can get in Boots or Superdrug in the UK. Have patience and don't expect miracles - good luck!
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    That sucks a bit! I've also just lost almost exactly the same amount as you! Would you mind messaging me how you got your skin to sort itself out around your stomach? Mines tightening but not as quickly as I'd have liked. Is there anything in particular you do?
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    That sucks a bit! I've also just lost almost exactly the same amount as you! Would you mind messaging me how you got your skin to sort itself out around your stomach? Mines tightening but not as quickly as I'd have liked. Is there anything in particular you do?

Skin takes 1-2 years to tighten especially after MAJOR weight loss. Skin firming cream/lotions arent a miracle cure but they do contain extra ingredients (like collagen) to help your skin re-buil elasticity quicker and tighten up. No matter what you use though properly hydrated skin retains elasticity and regains elasticity best.

My fave 3 skin products are Nivea Anti-Cellulite Gel-Cream, Bio Oil, & Jergens Skin Firming Lotion.

If you arent seeing results from a product after about 4 weeks though (or see results slowing down) you can always change products too

THERE IS NO MIRACLE CURE THOUGH

And a good plastic surgeon will not consider you for skin removal surgery until you have kept your weight where it is for 9 months to a year at a minimum
  • sewsimplykate
    Options
    I am currently using this stuff and i LOVE it!! I've been using it for a month and i am seeing a huge change not only on my strechmarks but allso in firming and tightening my skin! My stomach looks amazing and i'm just starting my goal of losing 30ish lbs!

http://shop.beauticontrol.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10551&productId=96402&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=38277&top_category=

I've also heard that the sculpting gel by IT Works is really good too!!
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    bio oil :)
  • FK1983
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone! :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I have very bad stretchmarks from pregnancy, and nothing has made any difference at all. I don't rate Bio oil. I used it for a year with no effect. I have heard that there is a treatment called dermaroller, which pricks the skin and makes it regrow the lost collagen, it is meant to be effective, but there's nowhere near me that does it, so I haven't tried it personally.
  • FK1983
    Options
    I have heard that there is a treatment called dermaroller, which pricks the skin and makes it regrow the lost collagen, it is meant to be effective, but there's nowhere near me that does it, so I haven't tried it personally.
    Sounds good, not sure if it is available in the UK?
  • MommyLumpkin
    Options
    I don't have any excess skin which is really good but the stretch marks do really annoy me as the summer is approaching and taking my top off will be very off putting.

Everyone has the same or similar concerns as summer gets closer. I think the fact that you've dropped 107lbs and no loose skin should make you want to take that shirt off and swing it over your head whilst singing Pat Benitar's hit me with your best shot..lol..but really, they'll always be there but lightening them is probably goign to be your best defense. Bio Oil, Vitamin E oil, and/or Palmer's Cocoa work wonders. You obiviously have the ablilty to be diligent, so I don't have to tell you anything worth doing can take time.