Gym or Home?

Options
Do you prefer to workout at the gym, or at home?

Replies

• jenninsocal
    Options
    Do you prefer to workout at the gym, or at home?
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Home! Roll out of bed, throw on my workout clothes, and get to it! Don't have to worry about weather, running late, etc.
  • kerribilliot7
    Options
    Definitely home! Absolutely no excuses. I have a step, weights, a ball, and tons of Cathe Friedrich dvds.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Home for me too! I find if I have to go to a gym, I will workout less
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    home... I hate gyms
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Home but in cold weather, I can't ride, and even with a stationary bike here at the house, I find that going to the gym is better. If I go to the gym, I'm more likely to stay and get a good work-out, whereas here at the house, it's too tempting to stop after just a few minutes. Plus, the gym has weights.
  • fortiter00
    fortiter00 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've tried both, when the gym is enroute with good hours I went religiously. A little out of the way or a busy schedule and home did better. I went to look at starting kickboxing this evening though.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Home-- can't afford gym-- but, it works for I enjoy the ease of throwing on some exercise paraphernalia and hittin' the aerobic step, or jogging around the neighborhood--
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    Gym. I find I can get a better workout in when I go out to do it. I like all the strength machines and the elliptical - which I would need a whole home gym if I wanted those at home. In a one bedroom apartment, it wouldn't work!

Plus, I like the options. Pool one day, classes the next, and elliptical is my standard.
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Home. When I sign up for the gym I might as well be flushing the money down the toilet, since I can never get myself to go... :laugh:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Both.

I don't want to buy an elliptical, and if I did, it wouldn't be as good as the ones at the gym. Also, they have two or three (or more) different kinds (depending upon which gym I go to), which gives me some variation.

Free weights are easy to have at home.
  • roshong06
    Options
    Home...I don't have much time and have to squeeze my work outs in my schedual...I bought a really nice pretty inexpensive foldable treadmil, and I love it...I get up 30 min earlier for work every morning and walk/jog while watching the morning news...then my shower is right there and off to work I go. Never late. And 3 nights a week there is an hour long show that I watch at 9...instead of sitting on the couch to watch it, I unfold my treadmil and walk while watching....Gyms are too time consuming for me. Plus, I will find an excuse not to go, I'm good for that.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am also a both. I get up and run or bike around my neighborhood 4 or 5 times a week but also go to the gym 3 times a week. Never thought I would be consistent going to a gym but found one I love. Its a women only place and I find it very peaceful for some reason so I stay there much longer. The locker room and shower/spa areas are so pretty and quite I love to hang out after a hard workout!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Definitely the gym.
    After working out at home for the past 4 years (also work from home), it is really nice to get out and see other people. I see the same faces and I find it very motivating. We are all there for the same reason and I look forward to going every time. :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Not a gym person....
    I wokj out at HOME
    I invested in a good treadmill and use yoga DVD's
  • time2wrk
    time2wrk Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Gym. Mine is close and convenient and I work out harder at the classes. Plus, I know most of the people, which 1) makes it fun and 2) holds me accountable. If I don't show up for a couple of days I hear about it!
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention Cathe!

She taught me everything I know about weights -- and step, too, of course. Step is my cardio when I can't run and I can't get to the gym to do elliptical. It's nice to have lots of variety, as much as possible, at home and at the gym. Variety helps prevent boredom, burnout, and plateauing.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I've actually never been to the gym, have always worked out from home. Once I start back at work I may try out their gym....I've just never had the money, or a gym close enough to do that on a daily basis.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    So far Ive been doing all my working out at home, from dvd's to walking the neighborhood. Recently I started checking out a gym thats right up the street...but not sure if Im going to join it or not?
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I loved the gym... but now I cant afford it. I loved being held accountabl by my other workout buddies. At home Im just not motivated... Does anyone have any thing that will help motivate me at home?