Weight Lifting Question??

Options
First, I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, but I've tried searching the forums and didn't see anything asking this. Second, I'm sorry if it sounds like a majorly stupid question. I am going to start some weight lifting today, and I'm wondering what is better: slow and steady reps counted out, or fast reps in a certain amount of time? The reason I ask is because I've seen both done on the workout videos I've done and I've seen both done in the gym. So which is better? Slow reps or fast reps? I would assume the slower ones because you are forcing yourself to really concentrate on the muscles your working....

Replies

• NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Unless its an exercise specifically designed for fast reps, slow reps are always better. They are harder to do than fast reps, which is why you see some people doing them so they can make themselves feel better by lifting higher weights. But doing the exercise slower is a better workout for the muscle.
  • jensdaily
    jensdaily Posts: 16
    Options
    Slow reps, heavy weight. Aim for muscle failure between 10-12 reps.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    Don't focus on the time. You will drive yourself nuts. Breath in when you are lowering the weight and Breath out when you are lifting the weight. Start with that and then move on to more advanced stuff when you have become comfortable with the lifts you are going to do.

There are no stupid questions. We are all in this together.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think you are right. Slow and steady or just a moderate steady pace concentrating on your muscles, so go visit bodybuilding.com and sign up for free. I am there and if you sign up come back and tell me your user name and we can friend up there as well. They explain a lot and I have been lifting weights lately too!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Two second counts. Just like breathin in and exhaling out. You don't want to weight train fast, you can become injured for one and second if you do it slow with proper form you will get better results. Make sure you are doin the right weight. Set your goal in your head of how many reps you wanna do.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Do what works for you.

I've done fast reps, slow reps, high rep range, varying rep range, low rep range, etc. It's all about the effect you feel when you're done and it's good to change it up when that "slow reps, heavy weight" or "high reps, low weight" stops giving you the same pump when you're finished.
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Depends what your goal is--bulk or tone. Generally, if you want muscletone, endurance, and to contribute to fatburning cardio, go for the higher number of reps to feel the burn, and concentrate on the muscles being worked, in both directions. If you are looking to build bigger muscles, now that the layer of bodyfat over them is gone, then go for the heavy sets...typically, working a different muscle group per day, only once per week (leaving 7 days for repair). There will be many different opinions, though...just see what works best for you, and adjust.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out slow is the best and unless your workout is designed for a circuit type workout, slow, good form is best. Remember you are not just working out muscle, but also ligaments and tendons which need to be slowly brought into shape as well. Your muscle can only withstand the amnount of pressure your ligamnets and tendons will handle. As you build slowly those will be strengthened as well and a solid base is best before you branch out into harder more complex or faster routines that can cause injury if your are not careful or push beyond your bodies current abilities. Happy iron pumping.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    For beginners, moderate repetition speeds should be used with an emphasis on eccentric control (lowering of the weight). A one second concentric phase (lifting the weight), one second isometric (hold) phase, and a two second eccentric phase seems ideal for beginners. Maintaining perfect technical form is the most important factor. If technical form breaks down more than 10%, the weight is too heavy. Switch to a lighter weight and work your way up. You don't want to risk injury. Hope that helps.
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When you first start out, it's really important to get your form right so you don't hurt yourself...so take your time and check in the mirror as you lift. If you can, I'd really recommend going to a class or doing a trial session with a trainer who can correct your form if necessary.

Also, remember to resist both ways-- as you lift the weight but also as you lower it. Don't let gravity do half of the work for you, or you'll miss out on half the potential results.
  • sksscott
    sksscott Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Slow reps with heavier weights will add bulk and strength. Fast reps with lighter weight will work more fast twitch muscle groups creating more long, lean toned appearance. Choose which of the two you want. In addition, if you use machines you will get stronger, bulkier main muscles; whereas if you use dumbbells or kettlebells you will get leaner more toned muscles because they are not balanced for you, requiring you to use the smaller stabalizing muscles as well as the bigger main muscles. For more strength and bulkier muscles do about 80% max for 8,6 and 4 reps adding a little to each set. For leaner toned muscles, do 70% max for 12, 10 and 8 reps, adding a little each set. All reps should be at an easy controlled speed with 1-2min. of rest between sets.
    Hope this helps.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's best to lift the weight fast, which develops power, and lower the weight slowly, in a controlled manner. Lifting slowly doesn't do much besides tire your muscle out faster, while lowering quickly could lead to injury from strains or dropping the weights. Lifting fast develops "explosive power", with increases in both strength and muscle mass.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    A lot of what we've all said so far relates a lot more to when you've hit a certain point. I just noticed you said you're starting out.

Just do what you can. Try to aim for a rep range of 10-12 in sets of 2-3. If you can't complete above 8 reps before your last set you need to drop the weight. If you're banging out all 10 reps with complete ease on your last set you need to raise the weight.

Take your time and be careful! Leave the rest of it all until you've built a foundation.
  • smylex
    smylex Posts: 14
    Options
    1. This is not a dumb question.
    2. There really isn't an answer to this.

What you should ask yourself is what you want to achieve. If you're looking to add muscle mass, heavier weights and lower repetitions are ideal. However, if you're looking to slim down, lighter weights and more repetitions is usually better.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!! You have all really helped me understand more than just the how but also how it works! I will start out slow and steady, and probably start out with a lower weight just to be sure I am doing everything correct before I go higher. Plus, I don't really want to bulk up, I just want to tone my arms. From doing the 30 Day Shred, I can already see a bit of muscle pop up when I flex my arms, now I just want the rest to be toned out!! Thanks again everyone :)
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!! You have all really helped me understand more than just the how but also how it works! I will start out slow and steady, and probably start out with a lower weight just to be sure I am doing everything correct before I go higher. Plus, I don't really want to bulk up, I just want to tone my arms. From doing the 30 Day Shred, I can already see a bit of muscle pop up when I flex my arms, now I just want the rest to be toned out!! Thanks again everyone :)

WOW there is quite the conflicting info in here...

You won't EVER bulk up, unless you take steroids. So put that out of the equation. (if you're interested I posted a topic on this last week with a picture of the results of lifting heavy weights - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218284-the-results-of-lifting-heavy-pic)

That being said, yes you should start out at a lower weight. But that doesn't mean do a hundred of them. You should be prrogressing in weights every other week or so, once you get the hang of it and practice correct form.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options

WOW there is quite the conflicting info in here...

You won't EVER bulk up, unless you take steroids. So put that out of the equation. (if you're interested I posted a topic on this last week with a picture of the results of lifting heavy weights - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/218284-the-results-of-lifting-heavy-pic)

That being said, yes you should start out at a lower weight. But that doesn't mean do a hundred of them. You should be prrogressing in weights every other week or so, once you get the hang of it and practice correct form.

I won't be doing 100 of anything!! I want to start out at a lower weight to make sure my posture and form is 100% correct before I add more weight. Today, I started with what I have at home and used a site that shows the correct form for certain arm exercises and used my 3 pound weights. When I get a chance, I'll most likely go to the gym and try to ask a trainer if I am doing them correct. If I am then I'll move up the weight level. Today I did 2 sets of 15 for every arm exercise I did because I don't want to hurt myself, especially since I am just now starting out in lifting some weights. Also, I'm not so sure that steroids are the only thing to make people bulk up. I have a friend that takes zero steroids, pills, vitamins, and got very bulky, and that's what I'm afraid of. I understand I need more weight to see a change, but I'm mainly focusing right now on doing everything correctly.
    I actually checked out that pic when you had originally posted it! You look great :)
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Always going to be polar opposite opinions so take everything with a grain of salt. I believe that slow lifts and even isolation lifts and negatives have their place. I believe that lifting weights fast activates the most muscle fibers and when you activate your large muscle fibers, you bring your small muscle fibers along for the ride. When you lift very slowly, you are often concentrating on your smaller muscle fibers only.