Belly Pouch Exercises...Are there any????

Options
brph26
brph26 Posts: 207 Member
Ok, MOMS, you know what I'm talking about, and if you don't, you are one lucky lady, and I'm jealous! :tongue:

Is there a way to tone/shrink the "pouch" under the belly button after having kids other than having surgery? Is it just extra skin, or can I get rid of it?

I look ok standing up and laying down. It's almost flat looking, but when I get in a plank or push up position, it just hangs down and makes me a little sick. LOL Also sitting - when it kind of chunks up. Who's with me on this? :blushing:

Can anyone suggest some exercises for this area that will help?

Replies

• arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    Bump ! i really need to know the answer to this one. Even though i'm not a mommy i still have it from all the weight loss.. i don't wanna go for surgery . What exercises would tone it up and how much time would it take? and no i'm NOT looking for quick fixes
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I know that my 'pouch' is mostly excess skin. Looks wrinkly and just hangs. Unfortunately, no amount of exercise will get rid of it. Chopping it off would be the only way. I feel your pain!
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    cardio cardio cardio! it really is the only way to get rid of fat, but to tone the muscles (which wont get rid of the fat but tone the muscle fibers) i do leg lifts
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    Reverse Crunches.
  • danielled6875
    danielled6875 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
    I am a mom of three and they were all c-sections so there is alot of scare tissue which makes it worse.
    I just lost 90 lbs and its the one area that shrunk but is the first thing i see when i look in the mirror.
    I really don't think there is anything to do for it...for me i think its alot of hanging skin that makes me sick too.
    I would love to hear what people are saying.

thanks.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I personally think it is fat. I had one and I know what you are talking about, I would be in plank or down dog and well....yuck. As I lost the weight it shrunk, now is is gone, I am also just a few lbs. from goal and have been working out some of my workouts include ab work, so I do believe you have to just stick with it and work the entire ab region get the cardio in and eat clean. It takes some time.
  • VSgirl2010
    VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert and don't have children but if you've done the 30DS and are in the shape you are in then chances are you have toned that area and what you are seeing hang down as you put it (LOL) is probably loose skin with a little fatty pocket in it?? and maybe nothing to do with how many crunches or exercises you do :ohwell:

A friend of mine got a little tummy tuck- that took care of hers. :smile:

If your belly is flat standing and laying down thats half the battle! :wink:
  • ltf304
    ltf304 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Actually its all about diet and exercise. Diet is most important. The more your body fat percent goes down, the more fat you lose around your stomach. Eat clean and exercise and it will go away. There is a woman on here who had twins about 6 months ago and she had tons of excess skin which is now almost gone. She eats very clean and works her butt off. It is possible, but you have to work hard for it. Hope this helps!
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    NO! I have 3 kids and the only thing that helped was my diet!!!! Consistent diet, healthy meals, strength training and cardio. Incorporate all of those and you will see changes. It takes time and it's usually the last to go.
    Good luck!
  • Stef_k
    Stef_k Posts: 2
    Options
    This is one of the areas I keep trying to work off for the last two year and have yet to find an exercise to help. I think mine is mostly skin at this point, but would like to find a non-surgical option.
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    I personally think it is fat. I had one and I know what you are talking about, I would be in plank or down dog and well....yuck. As I lost the weight it shrunk, now is is gone, I am also just a few lbs. from goal and have been working out some of my workouts include ab work, so I do believe you have to just stick with it and work the entire ab region get the cardio in and eat clean. It takes some time.

Thanks hun you just gave me a lot of hope ! :)
  • julie1011
    Options
    Mine is still there too, but I did Co2 laser on it, and it got alot better. I am going in for a second treatment in a few months it is alot cheaper than a tummy tuck. I am hoping I can get it done w/ excersise and lasers. also When I used to work out 2 hours a day I got my stomach flat, eve after the kids, so I know it is possible. I just gain first there, and so it gets ugly.
  • Lturner2011
    Options
    I can totally relate to this situation!! I hope we get a response so we can fix this issue. Thanks for the post.
  • Lturner2011
    Options
    What did the laser treatment costs ( if u don't mind me asking) and was it painful?
  • brph26
    brph26 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you all for the responses. Keep them coming!

I suppose it will just take some more time. I've really only been working out consistently for about a month so far, and eating better for about 2 months - keeping in my calorie goals.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Bump on the laser treatments.
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I need to know this one too.. I sure hope it will go away with time and lots of hard work!!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you all for the responses. Keep them coming!

I suppose it will just take some more time. I've really only been working out consistently for about a month so far, and eating better for about 2 months - keeping in my calorie goals.

I started in January and did not notice a difference until the past few weeks.
  • Georgie_P
    Georgie_P Posts: 62
    Options
    I had 2 pregnancies - and one was a set of twins!!! both were not easy and then follow up with a hysteretomy (sp?) there is soo much Tummy flab - but what I'm noticing that IS reducing it is the cardio (if I'm not sweating it doesn't count!!) and then crunches and the plank!! I also added ab twists on the machins to firm up the love handles... so far so good!

Even though its there its like a Badge of honor for my experience as a Mom - like my stretch marks - gives me charter and reminds me of where I've been!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    It depends what it is. If there is still fat there it can be further reduced but I have known several ladies who lost all the pregnancy weight, became very lean and were left with a very thin loose pouch, no tissue, literally just skin, their skin had stretched too much to go back to normal. Their skin was very thin almost papery, lots of stretch marks, 2 of them had tummy tucks on the NHS as everything supported their case that it couldn't be reduced further by diet and exercise. The pouch many women have can benefit from diet and exercise and in some cases will disappear altogether...mine after having kids did, to about 90%, left with a tiny bit when doing press ups. Not sure its going to go back this time but I will try my damnedest!