Does green tea actually help?

Options
A while ago when I started my umpteenth failed diet, someone told me to take green tea capsules as they benefit people trying to lose weight.
I bought some after reading up on them, but only took them for a few days before that diet went out the window.
Have just come across them in the drawer, and as I seem to be more motivated this time, am considering using them again.
Just wondered if anyone else has/is using them and can really tell the benefits?

Replies

• lindsschou
    Options
    I had a co-worker use them and basically they accomplished nothing for her. They were supposed to work as an appetite suppression, but she was constantly hungry. I've heard similar things about apple cider vinegar pills.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Having grown up with a mother that is a herbalist and made us drink mugs and mugs of green tea, I can tell you that yes it does work. The capsules, I'm not so sure about because they are processed and not actually tea, but the tea does work. It helps with digestion and helps flush the body of toxins and excess water and it has a good level of caffeine in it for people that need a little bump.

However, nothing healthy for you "works" if you're putting garbage into your body (I'm not saying that you do, I'm just saying). So, if you are drinking diet soda and eating a lot of processed food, then green tea isn't going to do much for you.
  • Brendan_Townsend
    Options
    I'm sure they help, but I would say the effect is probably small. What is holding you back on the diets? Anything in particular?
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    Having grown up with a mother that is a herbalist and made us drink mugs and mugs of green tea, I can tell you that yes it does work. The capsules, I'm not so sure about because they are processed and not actually tea, but the tea does work. It helps with digestion and helps flush the body of toxins and excess water and it has a good level of caffeine in it for people that need a little bump.

However, nothing healthy for you "works" if you're putting garbage into your body (I'm not saying that you do, I'm just saying). So, if you are drinking diet soda and eating a lot of processed food, then green tea isn't going to do much for you.

Agree. And I also think it does act as an appetite suppressant to an extent. I've been switching to green tea after my morning coffee for a couple of weeks now and I'm finding myself less ravenous at lunch time and less interested in snacking in the late afternoon....
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've taken to drinking more green tea the past few weeks, but have never taken it in pill form. I wasn't really seeing much of any difference... but I didn't have any this weekend, and also forgot to take my vitamins, and I had a hard time trying to really "wake-up"... I don't know if those things played apart in that or not tho...

I have heard that ppl that drink 3-6 cups of green tea a day can loose up to 20 lbs over a year. I get tired of plan ol' water sometimes so what I'll do, at bedtime, is fill up my water bottle (it holds 3 cups of water) and drop in two tea bags, and leave in it the fridge over night. When I get up in the am I have 3 cups of yummy cold green tea ready to go! :) I hope it helps to drop 20 lbs, but if not it's ok, cause it's good and sure beats plain water sometimes!
  • loopylis
    loopylis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Im actually moivated and want to lose the weight this time round, I am very focused and Im not putting rubbish in my body! I think I may try them for a few weeks and see, I suppose being natural theres certainly no harm in trying! I have tried drinking green tea before but cant say Im a huge fan!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I think it can help some.
    I've read that drinking a cup of green tea after a meal helps you feel satisfied and keeps you from craving more food.

Seems to work well for me.
  • Beehiveof8
    Beehiveof8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I would advise DRINKING tea, not taking pills. Herbal pills are so processed that a lot of the goodness that comes from the herb is lost.

Also, by drinking the tea you are getting more fluids, which flushes your system more, and helps with the weight loss.

Just my .02.

Good luck on your "new" start! You can do it!
  • carcar03
    carcar03 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Green tea, in addition to other herbal teas, has played a huge role in my diet. I like to incorporate different teas instead of drinking just plain water all day. I usually have a cup or two after every meal. I do find that it has helped with my appetite but drinking it or taking the pill won't magically make you lose weight. In terms of weight loss, I've read that it can help reduce your weight by 3-5 lbs a year... nothing too major.
  • thisistotallysarah
    Options
    I have been on the green tea kick here for a while. I have an aunt in Louisiana who is 50 and she is thin and her skin is GORGEOUS. I mean, this woman is beautiful and looks much younger than she is and she always has iced green tea with her everywhere she goes. So since I heard this I have been doing the same.

I will brew it in the afternoon on the stovetop, pour it in a large pitcher, throw it in the fridge once its cool and enjoy my Iced Green Tea in the evening, the next morning and throughout the day. I love it. You can even add a little honey while the water is hot for some extra sweetness. Delicious.

Sidenote: PLEASE be wary of pre-bottled Iced Green Tea or really any pre-bottled Iced Tea for that Matter-- the usually contain way too much sugar and High Fructose Cornsyrup which is totally unnecessary in Iced Tea. Just before you purchase check the ingredients! It should read, WATER, GREEN TEA, HONEY.

People in Japan practically live off of hot and iced green tea and they are healthier and have longer life expectancy than americans so they must be doing something right! I say just try it for a couple months and see what happens-- you have nothing to lose but weight :)
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Green tea is so healthy for you. Full of antioxidants. I drank 3 mugs a day of it when I was at my healthiest pre-baby and I can say that I felt wonderful :)