Lunch ideas??

Options
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas that I could eat for lunch while at work.

I work from 2 to 11 p.m. So, I usually eat my bigger meal at lunchtime (noon) before I go to work. My supper, then, is during my break time at work which is 1/2 hour long. To get away from the stress of staff, residents, and families, I go outside. If the weather is nice, I will sit at the picnic table or in my car if the weather is not so nice.

I have been eating cottage cheese and yogurt along with some type of fruit or raw vegetable. But, I am getting tired of the same thing.

Any ideas on something I could eat quickly because by the time I clock out, eat and clock back in, I acutally have 20 to 25 mintues to eat.

Thank you all.

Diane

Replies

• mixtapemusings
    mixtapemusings Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    what a great topic! I'm always looking for lunch ideas too. I work 12 hour days!!

I usually take a whole wheat wrap, spread a little red pepper hummus, add some grilled chicken (tyson grilled chicken strips are the bomb!) and a few slices of cucumber or tomato.

It's easy, very filling and delicious. I have some grapes or a mini babybell cheese on the side.
  • rljohnson11
    Options
    I just created this recipe:
    5 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
    1 English (seedless) Cucumber, chopped
    3 Green Onions, chopped
    2 oz of Reduced Fat Feta Cheese, crumbled
    2 Tbls Red Wine Vinegar
    1.5 Tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, and feta in a large bowl. Add the vinegar and the olive oil and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 3 servings:
    183 cal/serving
    9.7g Total Fat
    272 mg Sodium
    754 mg Potassium
    17g Total Carbs
    13g Sugars
    7g Protein
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    Tuna fish sandwich. Can of tuna in water. Some light mayo , frozen peas mix together. Put on slimwich done
    Or you can do it with can of chicken too.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Homemade "Fried Rice":

-Make four servings ahead of time, put into small Tupperware containers and heat up for lunch. Pair with an apple or some almonds.

Ingredients:
    - 3/4 pound chicken tenderloins
    - 1 cup dry barley or brown rice
    - 1/2 cup egg beaters
    - 1 cup sweet onion, diced
    - 1 cup portabella mushrooms, diced

Directions:
    1. Cook 1 cup dry quick barley (or brown rice) on the stove by the instructions on the box.
    2. Heat a pan on the stove (medium) and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
    3. Chop up 1 cup of sweet onions and 1 cup of baby portabella mushrooms.
    4. Add the veggies to the pan and let set and cook.
    5. Meanwhile cook 3/4 lb of chicken tenderloins or chicken breasts. (I cook mine in the microwave, but you can also grill them or buy precooked ones).
    6. Dice up the chicken.
    7. Push the veggies to the side of the pan and on the other side add 1/2 cup egg beaters.
    8. Cook and dice the egg beaters until done.
    9. Then add the diced chicken and barley/rice (which should be done by now).
    10. Combine and let simmer for a few minutes.
    11. Take off the stove and let cool. Measure out into four separate containers, cover and refrigerate.

Servings: 4 (approximately 2 cups each)
    - Around 250 calories per serving.
    - Tons of fiber from the veggies and barley/rice.
    - High in protein from egg beaters and chicken.
    - Low in sodium (though you may want to top with some salt, soy sauce or garlic powder, I prefer mine plain).
    - Low in fat ( Pair with a 100 calorie pack of almonds for a 350 calorie, balanced meal).

Enjoy!
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Tuna fish sandwich. Can of tuna in water. Some light mayo , frozen peas mix together. Put on slimwich done
    Or you can do it with can of chicken too.
    Agreed. Tuna is kind of my "go to" lunch, and I love the "slim" sandwich breads by Trader Joe's or Stop & Shop. I chop up celery in my tuna, or just with light mayo. Trader Joe's white tuna in water (in the blue can) is delicious!!! and only 60 calories per serving. I eat the whole can, so 120 calories.
    Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? I've also recently discovered their "Reduced Guilt" frozen meals. I really like them, and they're easy for me at work to pop in the microwave and not have to worry about weighing or measuring anything!! The baked ziti and mac n cheese are both good. :smile:
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I would say to make a casserole dish or some other savory chicken and veggie over rice type meal, something that will give you say, 4 servings, pop them into portioned tupperware and have them ready to go in the fridge. or make three or four different recipes that will keep well in the freezer and that way you can have a variety and not feel like you're eating the same stuff all the time. :) Just watch out for the tuna suggestions if you're watching your sodium, I hear it's full of it. :) Good luck hon!
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Instead of mayo, I stir just a bit of humuus into my tuna - different, and tasty