Dental Work and Pain...HELP

Options
Anyone have any suggestions...I had about 5 hours of extensive dental work done yesterday I had a root canal with complications (I have weird shaped roots) and I am soo hungry. Soup is doing nothing and I can't chew much. Really need some suggestions of healthy options that won't take a toll on my mouth. THANKS for your help!
Krisitn

Replies

• Burbritt
    Burbritt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I had my wisdom teeth out I lived off of jello, pudding, over cooked mac & cheese, and Ensure.

Good luck & get well soon.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Jello, Pudding, pasta with marinara
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    How about some yoghurt smoothie or ice cream? :)
  • susancelli928
    Options
    eggs, pasta, smoothie/milkshake
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Ensure is probably your best bet to get what your body needs.......I had jaw surgery when I was sixteen....and had my mouth wired shut for 6 weeks.....and I had to live on it for that time.......it's has the vitamins you need for healthy recovery, bone growth etc!! Don't taste all that great but it will fill you up!!!
  • irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ensure is a great choice. Also any type of protein drinks !
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is very filling and super easy to get down when you have dental issues.
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I lived off Allen's vegetable cocktail, yoghurt, protein shakes and pasta (KD, I needed the calories) after I had braces put on and couldn't chew anything.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Vodka!!!!!!!! Not very helpful. Sorry :drinker:
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Avoid Marinara! Please! WIth Citric acid that WILL NOT combine with pain meds well.

Given I am a Dental Assistant not a Dentist BUT

Protein Shakes, Ensure, Yogurt, Frozen Yogurt, Oatmeal, Pasta. If you are on an antibiotic post Root Canal you NEED to be eating yogurt (antibiotics can cause yeast infections)

Avoid salty foods, foods with citric acid (oranges, strawberries, tomatoes) as these can upset the stomach when combined with antibiotics & pain meds
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    If anyting patients do say they loose alot after painful dental procedures! mainly because of the restricted caloric intake.

If you are sore post RCT (rootcanal sorry but its just easier to put it that way) its normal especially if you had a curvy root, if you are having PAIN and swelling you need to notify your dr but most Endodontists will tell you to wait 24 hours before coming back in to see if a canal was possibly missed or there is root tip left on a curvy root.

Remember they go into your tooth witha file for an RCT and have to make it to the very bottom on the canal, below the canal is soft tissue and youve had soft tissue removed so soreness is unfortuanntly completly normal. If you were not prescriped a pain med, motrin 600mg every 6 hours, religiously, set an alarm for at night, once you let yourself get into pain getting back out of it is MUCH harder
  • kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Avoid Marinara! Please! WIth Citric acid that WILL NOT combine with pain meds well.

Given I am a Dental Assistant not a Dentist BUT

Protein Shakes, Ensure, Yogurt, Frozen Yogurt, Oatmeal, Pasta. If you are on an antibiotic post Root Canal you NEED to be eating yogurt (antibiotics can cause yeast infections)

Avoid salty foods, foods with citric acid (oranges, strawberries, tomatoes) as these can upset the stomach when combined with antibiotics & pain meds
    Wow thanks!
    Great to know!
  • kristinwalker
    kristinwalker Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    If anyting patients do say they loose alot after painful dental procedures! mainly because of the restricted caloric intake.

If you are sore post RCT (rootcanal sorry but its just easier to put it that way) its normal especially if you had a curvy root, if you are having PAIN and swelling you need to notify your dr but most Endodontists will tell you to wait 24 hours before coming back in to see if a canal was possibly missed or there is root tip left on a curvy root.

Remember they go into your tooth witha file for an RCT and have to make it to the very bottom on the canal, below the canal is soft tissue and youve had soft tissue removed so soreness is unfortuanntly completly normal. If you were not prescriped a pain med, motrin 600mg every 6 hours, religiously, set an alarm for at night, once you let yourself get into pain getting back out of it is MUCH harder
    Yeah I am on Motrin for sure! My dentist started teh RCT and found the issue so I went straight to the endo right away. My endo said I will be in pain for about a week. My roots were twisted like a double helix and she had A LOT of work to do on it. I have never had anything like this, so I am not sure what recovery will be like, I just know my mouth hurts and my stomach is growling - not a fun combo!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options

Yeah I am on Motrin for sure! My dentist started teh RCT and found the issue so I went straight to the endo right away. My endo said I will be in pain for about a week. My roots were twisted like a double helix and she had A LOT of work to do on it. I have never had anything like this, so I am not sure what recovery will be like, I just know my mouth hurts and my stomach is growling - not a fun combo!

Ouch! Atleast your dentist sent you straight instead of attempting it (not a pretty picture by the time you get to Endo if they do) Yeah youre going to have some fun, and not the good kind :( Needing an RCT is never fun in the first place! Let your tooth tell you when you can eat more solids. Dont try to just eat that steak on the other side of the mouth, it helps but it still causes pressure/pain on the tooth they were working on. The bright side is, when you get the permanenet restoration/crown it wont be as intense as someone who's getting a crown due to decay and still has a vital root!