Any tips to deal with nausea????

Options
So first, I'm not completely sure if this is the right forum for this, so I'll apologize if it isn't.

Does anyone have any tips to help deal with constant nausea?? I have already talked to my doctor (who has given me the option of some meds, which I would like to try and avoid), and I pretty much have about another month or so of this stupid nausea. I have NO appetite, and when I do force things down, it sits very uncomfortably for a while. I have been able to drink water, and some nutrition drinks, and can manage to take Firestone's multivitamin's. I am just really tired of constantly feeling of like I'm going to puke!! Help, please!!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    crackers and ginger ale always make me feel better.

i dunno about constant nausea tho.
  • Mooradian
    Options
    I heard olives work
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I had this for 2 days, Sunday and Monday, it was terrible. I think it was acid causing it..... nothing really helped for me (not even during pregnancy when i was sick). I tried to eat small portions often and drink a lot
  • Lutiebelle
    Lutiebelle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try nibbling on candied ginger or sipping ginger tea.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Mint is good for nausea. If you can't eat anything try chewing mint gum.
  • KansasGal
    KansasGal Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    i was constantly nauseous and throwing up through both of my pregnancies. I tried all different types of medication and none of them really seemed to do the trick. What did work: buy a ginger root and cut a little piece off and suck on it. Lemons and tomatoes. I had two lemons just about every morning with my first.

Hope something works for ya!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You have another month or so of this? Are you pregnant?
  • aprili83
    aprili83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What is the nausea caused from? try to Eat small meals that are cold or room temp and bland...try not to drink fluids with meals rather between them ( but try to still drin 6-8 glasses a day to prevent dehydration) it will help you be able to eat more. And try to rest after you eat with you head proped up.

I am a nurse so I Hope this helps...

good luck!
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I get migraines a lot and when they are really bad, I get extreme nausea. The only thing that really makes me feel better is to puke =( Then I can do some oyster crackers (only a few at a time) and shorly after some kind of chicken broth-based soup. Other times I just have to sleep it off. If it is contant though; hmm....medication may be the only way =\
  • MassageGirlRC
    Options
    Some people get relief from peppermint. Either just the smell of it or actually eating peppermint candies. It helped me a little when I was pregnant.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    So first, I'm not completely sure if this is the right forum for this, so I'll apologize if it isn't.

Does anyone have any tips to help deal with constant nausea?? I have already talked to my doctor (who has given me the option of some meds, which I would like to try and avoid), and I pretty much have about another month or so of this stupid nausea. I have NO appetite, and when I do force things down, it sits very uncomfortably for a while. I have been able to drink water, and some nutrition drinks, and can manage to take Firestone's multivitamin's. I am just really tired of constantly feeling of like I'm going to puke!! Help, please!!

I've heard ginger is good for nausea (I would stay away from soda but if you do ginger ale make sure it is flat - the carbonation might be too much). You can find crystallized ginger that tastes pretty good in small amounts. You can also find something called 'bitter'. It's used in some mixed drinks. It doesn't taste good and you could probably find it with the mixers at a grocery store. I've also heard peppermint is good for soothing a tummy.

I'm surprised (yet not) that the doctor just wants to give you a pill rather than finding out the underlying cause. There has to be a reason for it.
  • kderr1979
    Options
    Canada Dry Ginger Ale b/c it is made with real ginger. Anything with Ginger b/c ginger is a natural way to relieve nausea! Also a friend of mine used motion sickness bracelets to help her deal with nausea while she was pregnant and they really worked...she only felt sick in the shower! :) Good luck!
  • lilbee2011
    Options

I haven't officially taken a test yet, but it is either pregnancy or a side effect of something else (not to get into too much detail). When I talked to my doctor (on the phone, if you're wondering why she just didn't run a test while I was there), she said either way, it will be about a month, and also recommended that I take a test, which I will do :)
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    ginger root and peppermint do help.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Easy foods. When I was pregnant (not saying you're pregnant or not - just saying that's when I had nausea issues) I didn't have a huge nausea problem like some women do, thank God, and I didn't throw up once, but I had food aversions. The thought of "non-easy" foods made me really nauseous, and it was all day, every day. Saltines and ginger cookies just didn't seem appealing, so I didn't eat them.

The BRATT diet (bananas, rice, apples, weak tea, and toast), which is recommended for nausea, was a good standby, but I also liked bagels and (full-fat) cream cheese, eaten slowly. The bagel is bread (duh), so it is easy and calming, and the cream cheese helps you get calories, fat, and protein, which you aren't getting anywhere else if you're not eating much, plus it makes the bagel go down more easily. I have a friend who is currently pregnant and had horrible morning sickness, and she couldn't hold anything down but bagels and cream cheese!

Also, brothy soup is great. My office was by a soup place, so even though the cost added up, every day I had the option of a different, brothy soup. Chicken noodle is the obvious choice, but there were some other veggie-based ones that sat very well. On better days I could handle chili, which would give me lots of protein and fiber. The nice thng is that chili is easy to come by. Wendy's chili is good and cheap, and canned chili is usually pretty decent.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Go to babies R Us (or any store that sells stuff for pregnant moms and new parents) and look for something called Preggy Pops. they are lollipops that help with morning sickness. I believe they have ginger and a couple other herbs that calm queasy tummies.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    peppermint tea helped my nausea
  • kelligonzales
    Options

I haven't officially taken a test yet, but it is either pregnancy or a side effect of something else (not to get into too much detail). When I talked to my doctor (on the phone, if you're wondering why she just didn't run a test while I was there), she said either way, it will be about a month, and also recommended that I take a test, which I will do :)

Citric acid always helped me with my first prenancy grapefruit was my ticket, try ginger ale that helps weather your sick or prego
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Morning sickness generally lasts for the first trimester and can often last much longer. So if you are pregnant, don't count on it going away in a month. Mine lasted almost 6 months with my daughter and I was miserable the entire time. For the first 3-4 months I could only eat specific foods. For 3-4 days I could only eat watermelon and croissants, for almost 2 weeks it was lemon soda and white cheddar popcorn. For several days it was sesame bagels and cream cheese, until I threw one up. After that 3-4 month period I could eat whatever I wanted, except things that made me sick, like eggs. But I still had the constant nausea.

I didn't have any morning sickness with my son. Now that I'm pregnant again I'm beginning to feel a little nausea if I don't eat my breakfast soon enough. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse!

If you think you might be pregnant you should definitely take a test. It's important to get prenatal care for your entire pregnancy and the sooner you know for sure, the better. You need to be taking prenatal vitamins with extra calcium and DHA, not just a regular multivitamin. And there are some important changes to your diet that you need to be aware of.
  • lilbee2011
    Options
    Wow!!! Thanks everyone! I'm going to try each tip until I find something that works :) Thanks so much!!