Why do people always want to give kids candy?!?!

Options
mamabear0222
mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
My children are not allowed to have candy. I wont say EVER, they've had it once or twice but they are only 2.
So why is it people feel the need to want to give candy?
This rant comes from the fact my children went to daycare today and were sent home with bags of candy for easter.
(nice gesture, wrong message).
Im overweight and I do not want my children having this type of junk. I removed it from their bags, and they werent actually GIVEN any candy without my consent but seriously?!?! What is the deal with kids and candy?
Do people not care childhood obesity is on the rise?????????
Frustrated!!!

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    People are ignorant, it's sad.
    I have a huge problem with the way parents feed their children terrible "foods".

I read a projection that estimated 1 out of 3 children born after 2000 will develop diabetes.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's fair to put all the blame on candy. I ate a TON of candy as a child, and I was never overweight until adulthood and tons of medications. Kids spend most of their time sitting on their rumps now, either in front of a computer, or in front of the television.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    People are ignorant, it's sad.
    I have a huge problem with the way parents feed their children terrible "foods".

I read a projection that estimated 1 out of 3 children born after 2000 will develop diabetes.

Not only that but there is even an increase in larger babies being born due to what the mother eats (all that bad stuff gets passed on to the baby). So they are being born with the issue these days. It's really, really sad.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    not to mention the rotted teeth. I am amazed at how many parents i see today letting their kids survive on poptarts and soda.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    With the aisles and aisles of candy for sale at Easter and Holloween time clearly people aren't getting the memo that we have an obesity epidemic.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try looking at this from a different angle.

You yourself said that you don't mean for your children to *never* have candy. Now that some has appeared, you have a great opportunity to reinforce when, if and what servings are appropriate. You have the chance to actively teach your children how to manage junk food that they absolutely will encounter in their lives.

I understand the temptation to just shield them from the whole idea of candy, but that's not realistic. It's better, I think, to teach them how to manage these situations rather than leave them without tools for the times when they will be given candy.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When my son was born his dad and I were split up, I told him under no circumstances is my child getting soda or candy until he is older than 5 then in moderation. Well my son goes with his dad, when he was 2, to see his paternal grandma. Guess how my son came home...... on a sugar rush because they gave him candy and soda. I was soooooo pissed off! It took me FOREVER to get my son to sleep that night. I caved and let him have those in moderation for a while. Now he is 6 and I am trying to get him on pressed fruit snacks. The soda is a privilage but he swears by chocolate milk and juice. But those sodas as 2 really messed with him.
  • MeaganAnn84
    Options
    I totally agree, I think it's nuts too how people are always trying to shove candy into a kids mouth!
    I read somewhere that a celebrity mom didn't let her kids have crappy foods, so they ask for healthy options. She said something like "If you don't feed them candy when they're six months old, they don't even know what it is!" It makes total sense to me!
    My boyfriend would always let his son drink Mountain Dew, etc and it would drive me insane. He was like six at the time. The pop intake has slowed down a lot though, thank goodness.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I almost NEVER give candy out on holidays especially to my niece and if I do give it to her its not very much and def not the main event in the "gift"

She loves to draw and play with dolls so I try to feed her imagination instead of her sweet tooth. She gets more out of those gifts anyway. I don't understand it either...
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    I think it is assumed all kids like candy and that they are so active it really won't matter if they eat it? I'm not sure I personally don't have a sweet tooth (i have a carb tooth instead) but when i was 7yrs old I had to visit my dad. It was the first time in 5yrs after my parents divorced he had no idea what to feed me. It was constant cake, candy and ice cream......even cotton candy and when i told him I didn't like sweets his response was "all kids like sweets"
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try looking at this from a different angle.

You yourself said that you don't mean for your children to *never* have candy. Now that some has appeared, you have a great opportunity to reinforce when, if and what servings are appropriate. You have the chance to actively teach your children how to manage junk food that they absolutely will encounter in their lives.

I understand the temptation to just shield them from the whole idea of candy, but that's not realistic. It's better, I think, to teach them how to manage these situations rather than leave them without tools for the times when they will be given candy.

This. I think it's more important to teach children how to eat properly by giving them options. Candy isn't by itself bad, but it is bad if you eat too much of it.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Alot of people see it as a nice "treat" but dont realize the portion control aspect of it honestly. I had to break my son of a sucker habit (and Im a dental assistant so suckers sure as heck arent what I want my child having constantly!) after sending him to a neighbor for a few hours while I packed and he had 5! he was begging and screaming for them for weeks!

I would say the only thing you can really do with daycare since they didnt actually feed it to your child is put a request in with the head of the daycare about finding non-sugar alternatives for treats or the kids. Walmart has had amazing toys in their easter section super cheap so it wouldnt have cost much more then the candy did.

As long as you are doing the right things at home though a few sugary treats arent truly going to harm your children.

I am VERY concerned about my sons weight because I always had weight struggles (he is in perfect heigh weight proportion and its mainly muscle!) but I make ap oint to give him sugar/candy treats because I want him to learn portion control and that it is OK to eat them as a treat NOW so he doesnt hide it or binge at friends houses like I did as a kid
  • JellyPrz619
    JellyPrz619 Posts: 172
    Options
    yeah i know!! i imagine they want the kids to feel happy and think something sweet will do the trick. I hate that when i leave my 3 yr old w her grandma or aunt they ALWAYS ALWAYS take her to MCDONALDS!! this is 3-4 times a WEEK!! I always give her a home made lunch when i leave her to avoid the whole trip to mcd but they still take her,, and they do not understand my point of view.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I didn't eat alot of candy or sweets as a child and I still managed to gain weight. I personally dont think it is candy alone that will cause any child to be obese. I think it is not having those items in moderation that is a part of the problem.
  • bridie1955
    bridie1955 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation....what happened to the candy???
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It's a treat. Easter, Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day...have I missed one. That's only 4 times they're getting it from others. The rest of the time it's the parents. Just saying.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    If you don't want them having it, then you did the right thing and took it away. As parents, WE are the only ones responsible for what our children eat.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's a treat. Easter, Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day...have I missed one. That's only 4 times they're getting it from others. The rest of the time it's the parents. Just saying.

brilliant...lol...!!!!!
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation....what happened to the candy???

...lol...exactly!!!!!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

brilliant...lol...!!!!!

Multiply that by how many people will be giving them candy... sometimes it ends up being A LOT of candy