Help getting up in the am?

Options
I am in need for some serious help getting up in the morning to work out. Working out in the evenings can be very stressful with two young kids and my other responsibilities that I have. But I have such a hard time getting out of bed in the morning.

Looking for suggestions to help me get my butt out of bed!!

Replies

• TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've been known to wear my running clothes to bed and lay my shoes and socks next to my bed so that by the time I get to the bathroom, I'm completely geared up. I stagger to the treadmill and turn the early morning show, on and walk till I'm awake. Then I'm up for a run and when I'm done, it's so nice!!
  • kacollins1970
    kacollins1970 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I also could use some help! I have two kids on the go with sports so we're on the go most nights. I also work full time. Best time to workout is in the a.m. I get up at 6:00, so to workout I have to get get up around 5:15 or so. Its sooooo hard. I could use some advice too! :smile:
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Other than the six alarms that I have on my phone, which I have mastered turning off while still sleeping (I have the mad skills), I have this clock from ThinkGeek http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/91f2/. Nothing will get me out of bed faster. For one, it's loud and has no volume control. I set my snooze time for only one minute. Also, the clock runs away after I hit the snooze button. Throw in the fact that when it runs, it either leaves the room, or goes under my bed, no matter what, I have to get up. Good luck to you! :smile:
  • FAKECED
    FAKECED Posts: 61
    Options
    It will hurt at first but once you press thru you will get use to it and it won't be so bad. You can do it...so just do it
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    For me, the choice of music is the most important thing. Wrong music in the morning - nothing. Right music: All the motivation, there can be.
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I use my iphone as an alarm and when it goes off there is a note that says "get your lazy *kitten* up" on the screen :) Try setting up an alarm clock the furthest away from your bed so you have to get up in order to turn it off. And maybe leave a note next to it reminding yourself why you want to get workout i.e feel better, for my kids, look sexier etc.
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    Other than the six alarms that I have on my phone, which I have mastered turning off while still sleeping (I have the mad skills), I have this clock from ThinkGeek http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/lights/91f2/. Nothing will get me out of bed faster. For one, it's loud and has no volume control. I set my snooze time for only one minute. Also, the clock runs away after I hit the snooze button. Throw in the fact that when it runs, it either leaves the room, or goes under my bed, no matter what, I have to get up. Good luck to you! :smile:

Thumbs up for thinkgeek!
  • MereRae
    MereRae Posts: 39
    Options
    I also have 2 kids, one is 4 months old and still waking up every few hours to eat but I manage to get to the gym between 4:30-5. It was REALLY hard at first. There really was no secret to doing it, I just MADE myself and now it gets easier and easier. I feel guilty now if I decide to lay back down and go back to sleep....and just for an hour or 2. The high I get after my workout that last throughout my morning is priceless! I know if you are able to do it you will NOT be sorry. Good Luck to you all!
  • sunrises
    sunrises Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi :)
    To make sure I get up early in the morning, I drink 2 or 3 huge glasses of water right before I sleep. I wake up with an urgent need to use the bathroom... then I find myself awake and think "since I'm awake, I might as well work out..." The water also gives me a clear face the next morning :) .... Killing two birds with one stone!
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Honestly because I am a huge pain in my Dr."s tush, I emailed him and asked this very question. He gave me a few tips.
    1. Get 7- 8 hrs of quality sleep. No lights, no tv/radio and not in a hot room.
    2. Do not drink anything 2 hours before you go to bed so you do not wake up having to tinkle.
    3. He strongly stated that it takes 2 weeks for your body to get used to an earlier wake up, so stick with it even if you are tired, all 7 days of the week wake up the same time.

I did not try working out until I got used to getting up earlier, I was very weak and tired in the morning the first few weeks. It does get better though.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

Wow, I have GOT to get me one of those! Thanks for sharing the link!!!
  • ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    We definitely have the same issue! I don't know how many mornings my alarm has gone off and I just shut it off and go back to sleep. I thought I would get used to getting up this early during the week by now but nope! I hope you have better luck than me :smile: lol
  • Melly1606
    Melly1606 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am loving all of the awesome advice everyone is giving and it is great to know that I am not alone!! I love MFP!! I just need to bit the bullet and get my Butt out of bed. I love the idea of wearing your workout clothes to bed and I think I am gong to be getting a new alarm clock too! :smile:
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Put your alarm clock across the room or either in another room. That way you have to get up to turn it off. you're already up, so ya might as well go work out!
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    this is awesome! 2 kids here to and i slept in this morning! i need to just get up!
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was totally thinking about that this morning!!! Very weird. The BEST (and let's face it, the only) time I have to workout is early in the morning. I am the mother of two little girls and I work full time, and it's really hard for me to get up. Thanks for the post and the advice!! I need something!