Newbie question for ladies only

Options
Hi. I got my "friend"this morning.I am wayyyy hungry! Feeling like I'm gonna go over my cal intake. Suggestions? And should I expect a few extra lbs on the scale during these horrific 7 days of menstruating?

Replies

• craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, sometimes i can gain up to 5 lbs. just try to find ways to control the cravings. i drink 2 protein shakes a day when i'm on my T.O.M. and it works out pretty well for me. a couple days after it's over i see the extra weight leave, plus a little more :)
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I can't really say what you should do, because I never get mine anymore because I have gained so much weight. But maybe with me losing weight, and once I do get it back I will come back to you for suggestions!
  • hitxgirl
    hitxgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    A couple lbs. gain is probably natural. It happens to me too, then when it's over the extra weight goes away also. I try to keep up my exercising even when I don't feel like it 'cuz I am tired and crampy! This way it is OK if you eat a little more. Just try not to eat more and exercise less!
  • oh yeah!with myself it's always 3-5 pounds of pure water.I recommend you stay away from the scale through your entire period else it'll drive you insane,exercise normally and drink 8 glasses of water then 1-2 days afterwards weigh yourself and you should have much be okay.
    Oh and eating;eat your calories and if you must (I know I do) eat your exercise calories it's no shame,everyone has a few off days.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    I am an eating machine during that time and right before it. It's like I'm going through a growth spurt or something. I usually try to eat more protein. Sometimes though, I just have to give in and eat extra. Sometimes, it's just the way the cookie crumbes and I've found that one bad day of eating is not going to destroy my week as long as I'm careful the rest of the week.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    exercise more, fill up on veggies and try not to give in to carb cravings, if you give in you will crave it even more pretty soon after. Me, I take to bed with a hot water bottle and copious (but safe) amounts of painkillers. Exercise definitely doesn't help me, causes worse cramps and I didnt think that possible (give me childbirth any day!)
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There are a few threads on here discussing this as well as some information to indicate that we actually need more calories during mesturation because we burn more....
  • jennylynn14
    Options
    I went through the same thing last month. I could not stop craving chocolate/peanutbutter icecream. I just made sure I ate the serving suggested if I had the calories available.
  • Romee14
    Romee14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always balloon up during that wonderful time. I drink LOTS of water. Eat LOTS of chocolate. Seriously. That time sucks! I find I feel like crap anyways, it's over in a few days and I'll be back on track.
    But I also lose the bloating fairly quickly. I know everyone is different.
  • missziathediva
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you @ candlesbythebaytc
  • Romee14
    Romee14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I should add- When I do get it, I gain like 5 lbs or more. I pig out for 2 days- as bad as it is, but I had mine last week and I weighed 134 when done 4 days later, I weighed 131...gotta LOVE pms and the wonderful things it does to your body!
  • blueeyedtraveler
    blueeyedtraveler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend drinking a lot of water...more than usual. That way, you shouldn't see much of a gain on the scale during that 7 days (at least this works for me). Also, as far as your hunger - eat smaller meals (averaging 300 calories) every 3 hours. That will keep your body full and keep it burning the fat you're trying to lose.

Good luck to you.
  • Me4me68
    Me4me68 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks to all for your wonderful responses! So glad to have the quick support of this group!
  • Erin111376
    Options
    I agree with the protein shake suggestion. They usually curb my sweet craving and keep me full for a little while. Good luck!
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Work out! Im telling you exercise really does release endorphins and if you really want some chocolate or something else to eat... eat it. I try to drink chocolate milk after exercise, it gives me a chocolate fix and then the milk helps with muscle recovery...it's a win-win in my book!
  • chris_elizabeth
    chris_elizabeth Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last poster completely!!! Its so hard to get to the gym during that time but after wards you feel SOOOO good! Andd then if you indulge and eat a ton, like I know I do haha, atleast your still on the workout track for those few days!
  • FlabtoFabChick
    Options
    I would suggest first of all the TOSS the scale. :-) It reads everything! Water retention is a natural part of your cycle which sometimes make the #'s on the scale go up during that time anyway. 2) Drink plenty of water so that your body will not retain it and just keep your regular exercise regimen going.

As far as the cravings, my favorite snack is Dannon's vanilla greek yogurt with a sprinkle of cinnamon and about a 15 animal crackers. Taste like a treat to me and that helps me. I also drink a meal replacement shake everyday called Shakeology! NOW that really helps me. That is my treat everyday! lol My favorite recipe is the chocolate with 1 tbsp of natural pn butter. Taste just like a reese cup. I am sure you will be fine though! No worries!

Della~
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I know it's not easy, but try to stay away from salt (bloating) and pasta (mega calories in a teeny portion). If you can do your workout anyway, you will also have the possibility to eat back your exercise calories. :happy:

Hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Drink water. Lots of water..and exercise if you can.
  • Fenyx
    Fenyx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more about drinking more water. It'll help keep you a bit full if you drink enough (especially before eating) and help the body to flush out extras. It also helps with the water retention during the TOM. One thing I've found that helps is to also get midol or the likes to help as well. As far as cravings go I, of course, want the chocolate. To fight this I get the smartones desserts or low cal sugar free candies and limit myself. This way I am not denying myself, but also not going overboard. Another thing that I've found helps on many levels is to exercise. Not overly intense, even a brisk walk is helpful. This way it'll help with cramping among other things, and give a few more calories in case there is something I find I wish to indulge in. As far as the scale goes, I wouldn't look at it until a few days after. It will most likely go up a little, but it's mainly water weight (which drinking lots of water will help with). If you want you can step on now and then again after its over. lol I usually go up a pound or two so after its over it shows I've gone down 3 (the 1 extra is basically my weekly goal for TOM). So if you look, don't be discouraged! Hope this is helpful =)