Cooking collard greens w/o meat?

Options
Frappuzzino
Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
Every recipe I've read has had some kind of meat in it. Any recipes for cooking collard greens without the meat? :)

Replies

• BrickHouse2011
    BrickHouse2011 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    well the meat is for seasoning, but some stores sell a green seasoning mix that you can purchase. I also have a friend that is a vegetarian and she uses vegaetable stock to make her greens.
  • missbeezy
    missbeezy Posts: 198
    Options
    Make them plain. Just wash them really good and boil down until they are reduced but not too soft where they are like slop. If you are making them plain you can add some kind of salt to them for flavor, I use hot sauce if I make them plain just a very little dab. They are soooo good!!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    The meat is for added flavor. Seems you could follow just about any recipe and just omit the meat.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I do like Brick House's friend and use veggie stock and sometimes I add seasoned salt or red pepper flakes or some sort of Ms. Dash or something like that. Olive oil and lemon juice isn't so bad either- but its definitely not the same as the ones with the big hunk of pork cooked in.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    If I were to cook mine without the meat I'd start the pot just like I would if I were using meat. Chop up some fresh garlic, jalepeno, onion, bell pepper and add some water. Once veggies are tender add your washed greens to the pot and season. You will probably need a little more water once you do. Mmm!
  • bijalita
    bijalita Posts: 8
    Options
    Trim the collards (remove stems) and slice into ribbons. Heat a little oil add a minced clove of garlic, when the oil is hot add the greens a dash of vegetable stock and braggs liquid aminos. Cover until wilted and serve with a squeeze of lemon. Greens are so much tastier when they are not cooked to mush!
  • annabellio
    annabellio Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    veggie stock and tofurkey smoked sausage !!!
  • JMM_623_
    JMM_623_ Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Low Sodium + No MSG Broth or Bouillon Cubes.
  • msdominique1
    msdominique1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I normally make my collard greens with veggies only... no meat... I use onions to season my greens... boil your water and onions, green/red peppers, crushed peppers and let them boil with the water along with whatever seasoning you want to use... some salt is fine... Then I add my greens in, but once my greens are almost done, I chop up some jalenpeno peppers really fine and throw them in the pot as well (make sure you mix the jalepeno peppers in really well... depending on how spicy you want the greens will depend on when you want to add the peppers, the earlier you add the jalepeno peppers the spicier they will be)...

You would never know that the greens didn't have meat in them... My mom tasted these (she is a chef) and she said they were good... :)
  • ramonaquimby
    ramonaquimby Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    look up Bryant Terry, he is a vegan soul food chef and food activist. I have read really great reviews for his collard green recipe. Also, check out the ppk.com, they might have some more savory style greens.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! I Love the taste of Greens: Mustard, Turnip, Collards... When I was growing up My Mom never cooked greens with meat/pork. She always used fatback drippings and water, it was great, so I grew up appreciating the taste of Veggies, not hiding the taste with smoked meats...

In changing some of her recipes, to more health friendly ones, I usually begin by eliminating the pork or drippings and use healthy substitutes. I am a pretty good cook, so I do not mind experimenting in the kitchen.
    My Recipe For Healthy, Good Tasting Greens:
    * Olive or Canola Oil (You Decide how much)
    * Chopped Clove of Garlic (2 or 3)
    * Chopped Jalapeno Pepper or Any Hot/Mild Pepper (1-3)
    * Low Sodium Chicken Broth (24-32 oz)
    * Greens
    * Water
    * Sea Salt (to Taste)

Sautee the garlic in the Oil; Add Greens and Broth, add water to cover, add peppers. Cover and cook to desired tenderness, stirring and adding more water as needed. When greens are the desired tenderness, cut fire off, add sea salt and stir.