swelling

Options
Do your fingers and hands ever swell when you work out? What causes this? I'm thinking pore circulation or too much sodium.

Replies

• HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My hands swell when I'm dehydrated, which fits your too much sodium idea. Mine also swell from allergies.
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    mine do that and i have no idea why. my parents and i think it is circulation issues.
  • grl_frm_tx
    Options
    My legs swell if I drink water.....my hands do when I'm working out.
  • thisisjulz
    Options
    actually I just noticed this today! My hands were super swollen. They are back to normal now though, so who knows.
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Swelling is water retention - most likely yr sodium is too high and you aren't drinking enough water - Sodium is in everything these days so you must read all labels - if you are watching both of these and it continues you should speak with yr doctor to have this check further.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    I think sometimes its allergies too. Usually it's not very much at all. But one day last week I was on the treadmill for an hour. After about 20 minutes, my hands were getting a little uncomfortable and red.
  • VerySherry
    Options
    Found this on the internet...

Why some workouts cause your hands to swell -- and what to do about it.
    By Betsy Stephens

Question: "After walking on a treadmill for about 45 minutes, my fingers and hands swell. What's the deal?"
    Answer: It's common for hands to balloon, especially during longer workouts, but it's nothing to worry about, says Carl "Chip" Lavie, MD, director of the Exercise Laboratories at Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans.
    Why? The puffiness is from blood pooling in your hands, which hang lower than your heart and are not engaged in muscular activity, says Dr. Lavie.

Try It: If the swelling bothers you, he suggests doing some basic arm movements without weights, like biceps curls and triceps presses, as you walk.
    Originally published in Fitness magazine, May 2006.
  • vallenrn
    vallenrn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is because your hands are in a dependent position and your blood is pumping faster...try running with your hands up at your side and it will help eliviate some of the swelling. If your hands are above the level of the heart that will not be as prominent.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If I'm not well hydrated, my fingers will swell when I walk.
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Found this on the internet...

Why some workouts cause your hands to swell -- and what to do about it.
    By Betsy Stephens

Question: "After walking on a treadmill for about 45 minutes, my fingers and hands swell. What's the deal?"
    Answer: It's common for hands to balloon, especially during longer workouts, but it's nothing to worry about, says Carl "Chip" Lavie, MD, director of the Exercise Laboratories at Ochsner Clinic Foundation in New Orleans.
    Why? The puffiness is from blood pooling in your hands, which hang lower than your heart and are not engaged in muscular activity, says Dr. Lavie.

Try It: If the swelling bothers you, he suggests doing some basic arm movements without weights, like biceps curls and triceps presses, as you walk.
    Originally published in Fitness magazine, May 2006.

I didn't think about that. Thanks!