used to be anorexic and bulimic- what did i do to my bmr?

Options
In high school, and a little into college, I was an extreme dieter (okay, anorexic) extreme exerciser, and which all lead me into being bulimic because high school kids started saying things about me not eating, and in college I would feel so guilty from a binge or from drunk eating that I would still throw up. This all probably lasted almost 2 years. Which is pretty short time compared to other people with these diseases.

I have been talked to a psychologist through my university, and have visited the nutrionist many times. I have an incredibly supportive boyfriend who has seen me become in control of these diseases and I feel I no longer have the thoughts, urgers, or issues I used to have. However, with the behaviors deminishing, I have gained a significant amount of weight. (more than the typical freshman 15 lets say.)

INow, I have been trying to lose weight to bring me back to a healthier weight but it seems that nothing happens except for a slight decrease in maybe 4 lbs.

Am I doing things wrong? Or is my metabolism just really shot from the extremely limited calorie intake I used to have?? HELP!!!!

:flowerforyou: thank you

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism is going to be extremely wonky because of the years of starvation. It's going to be in a heavy fat storage mode for a while. Set a healthy eating goal min 1500 cal a day and stick with it. Your body will cycle out of the fat storage cycle and begin to find its new normal. You might not ever have as high of a metabolism as you once did not only because of eating disorders but also because of age. You're out of the age group where your body is still growing and changing so it will naturally cycle down. Add in a healthy excercise routine and give it a year at least. Keep your blood sugars level by eating a healthy protein with every meal and limit your sugar and soda intake as well as keep your sodium levels to a good range. Also it's possible your idea of a healthy weight might be skewed. I say might because I can't read minds. Make sure you're working for a realistic goal.

Good luck.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hmm, the body has a unique way of repairing itself, but it is possible you did some damage and now that you are eating healthy, it could take a while for your body to adjust. Can't really tell unless your diary is public, but are you within limits and staying at a minimum of 1200/day caloric deficit. Watching your sodium? And consuming lots of water?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Your campus health center may have a dietician you can talk to. I would recommend that :)
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about losing quickly first and foremost protect your health.
    Your body I expect is thoroughly confused and not trusting you yet.

I agree with icerose137
    Set a healthy eating goal min 1500 cal a day and stick with it.

Track your nutrition make sure you are getting enough of the things that you body needs to thrive.
    Focus on nutrient dense foods -- okay to cut out empty calories.
    You may jump up a few pounds and this may seem scary, but
    when you eat healthy food regularly you body will trust you again.
    and then you can fine tune you intake.

Because of your history I wouldn't go more drastic than lose 1/2 lb/week
    Maybe even just find out what the maintenance calories are for you goal weight and go straight to that.
    That way you don't have adjust your eating habits twice. (which I found difficult when I switched to maintenance for a while.)

be patient and work the plan the slower you get to you goal the more likely you are to maintain it.

Stay happy, healthy and be kind to yourself

P.S.
    Also it's possible your idea of a healthy weight might be skewed. I say might because I can't read minds. Make sure you're working for a realistic goal.
    You didn't have your height on your profile that might be helpful to show that. I know BMI is a guideline, but I always feel better when I know someone is striving toward a healthy goal.
  • mayacakes
    mayacakes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    wow thanks everyone for the information!

I am trying to stay under my calorie goal as much as possible. Maybe this week I will make it my goal to focus on being accountable for everything i put into my mouth. Sometimes, I think that I dont have to add the two honey wheat pretzrels I grabbed out the door, or handful of strawberries while I cook my dinner.

Also, I am not sure how you make your food diary public? is that something I should do?

I guess I am kind of new to this site, besides the food and exercise diaries.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you if you want it public or not. I keep mine for friends only. Doesn't matter ot me either way but if you're looking to switch it it's in settings.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing. Sadly, it takes a while to repair the damage done. Your body just won't drop weight as quickly any more. The best thing you can do is be patient, and consistent with what you eat, and how much exercise you do. I have found that i do best when i eat more than what MFP tells me. If you're here, monitoring what you eat, then obviously you are on the right track. The more you stress, the more of an issue it becomes.

Take care! :D
  • VerySherry
    Options
    I also suffered from eating disorders. Compulsive Overeating and Night Eating. I still struggle at times,but am winning the war. I AM SOO PROUD OF YOU FOR YOUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS!!! One thing I did that really helped was,after talking to my doctor, I checked out the new government food guidelines at mypyramid.gov. It asked you several questions then puts you on a program taylored to you. It will tell you your calorie range to hit to be in a healthy weight range. Now,here's what I really liked about the info it gave me. It tells you how many servings from each food group you need to eat to be in your weight range for age and height. Therefore, I can focus more on making healthy food choices that will give my body the nutrition it needs and not obsess about the numbers "calories."It will take time for your body to heal and get back in balance. Just be good to yourself and it will happen.