is there a limit on how much vit c you can take?

Options
just wondering if too much of it has any side effects, probably a silly question just want to be sure! My diary is public, im -207 on vit c today is that bad?

Replies

• begonia813
    Options
    no! you can never have too much vitamin c. if you have waayy too much, you might get diarrhea, though. vitamin c clears your digestive system. it's critical to your krebb cycle because it converts fat to energy.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I think Vitamin c is the type of vitamin that your body takes what it needs and flushes the rest. But dont quote me...you might want to double check that.
  • craftydeb
    craftydeb Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin so what you don't use, you pee out!!
  • TaushasJourney
    Options
    Nope, can't over-do vitamin C. Your body has a certain carrying capacity for vit C, and if you consume more than that, it just gets flushed out of your system. :)
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    vitamin c is a water soluble vitamin - so for the average healthy individual you are unlikely to overdose on it- however in high doses as mentioned it can cause diarrhea
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me if you get too much Vit C you'll get diarrhea. That's the only side effect I am aware of, and it has not happened to me. :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Take as much as you like, just don't take the chewable kind... they will eat the enamel off your teeth, and you cant grow more enamel so your teeth just get weaker and weaker! but if you happen to take too much you will just pee it out!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Its actually a good thing to ingest extra C. Its a watersoluble vitamin so instead of storing extra your body flushes it out, so in order to have the proper amounts you should ingest it continuously
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I remember reading that you can have too much years ago...just pulled this from the Mayo Clinic site:

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is an essential nutrient. Still, it's possible to have too much vitamin C.

Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that supports normal growth and development. Vitamin C also helps your body absorb iron. Because your body doesn't produce or store vitamin C, it's important to include vitamin C in your diet. For most people, a small glass of orange juice plus a serving of strawberries, chopped red pepper or broccoli provides enough vitamin C for the day. Any extra vitamin C will simply be flushed out of your body in your urine.

For adults, the recommended upper limit for vitamin C is 2,000 milligrams (mg) a day. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, megadoses of vitamin C supplements can cause:

Diarrhea
    Nausea
    Vomiting
    Heartburn
    Abdominal cramps
    Headache
    Insomnia
    Kidney stones
    Remember, for most people, a healthy diet provides an adequate amount of vitamin C.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    I used to work at a vitamin store, and was told that the maximum upper limit on Vit.C per day is 10,000mg. Now that is a LOT of Vit.C, you could easily get diarrhea, as a few have mentioned. I myself take only 2000mg per day.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me if you get too much Vit C you'll get diarrhea. That's the only side effect I am aware of, and it has not happened to me. :)

So if I want to call in sick just over do the vitamin C?
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options

So if I want to call in sick just over do the vitamin C?

LMAO
  • bridgetzc
    bridgetzc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C is water soluble. It is much easier for your body to clear out an abundance of water soluble vitamins over fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K). If you are obtaining the vitamin C from all food sources you will not have issues with vitamin toxicity. If you are taking supplements your body does not process the vitamins as well so you can have issues with toxicity. You need to be careful when taking vitamins because vitamins share receptor sites with each other. If you are taking too much of one vitamin and not enough of another, you will have an over abundance of one vitamin and not enough of another.