Do you have a bodybugg??

Options
Anyone out there using the bodybugg? (Biggest Losers are using them) You wear them on your arm and they calculate (accurately?) the amount of calories you use each day. I was wondering how the online service works. Do you have to use it for as long as you use the bodybugg or can you use it alone? How much does the service cost? If you want to check it out, here's a link.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/training/bodybugg/

Replies

• kelhun1
    kelhun1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Anyone out there using the bodybugg? (Biggest Losers are using them) You wear them on your arm and they calculate (accurately?) the amount of calories you use each day. I was wondering how the online service works. Do you have to use it for as long as you use the bodybugg or can you use it alone? How much does the service cost? If you want to check it out, here's a link.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/training/bodybugg/
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    No but I would love to have one! It looks awesome. But I wonder if it is worth the $300
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    i never heard of it i better get out from under my rock:laugh:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Is that an HRM?
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    It's the HRM they use on The Biggest Loser/ I want one but will settle for something MUCH cheaper!:bigsmile:
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I want one also with the wrist band of course so that I can see how many calories I am burning while exercising. Hubby knows I want one for xmas but not sure if we can afford it.

COnnie
  • kelhun1
    Options
    It's kind of like a heart rate monitor, but it doesn't record your heart rate. It is recording fluctuations in body temp among other things to measure actual calories burned. The website I listed has it on sale for $200, so it is in the price range of a HRM and since I can't use a HRM due to the elastic (I have a latex allergy)...I hoping someone could tell me if this worth the $$$. Here's something I cut and pasted from their site:

Here is a list of the sensors in the bodybugg™ followed by a short description of how they contribute to energy expenditure estimation.

1. Accelerometer - The accelerometer in bodybugg™ is a two-axis micro-electro-mechanical sensor (MEMS) device that measures motion. This motion can be mapped to forces (g-force) exerted on the body. By taking gravity and motion into account along with the other sensor data, the wearer's body context and true level of physical exertion can be accurately predicted.
    2. Heat Flux - The bodybugg™ also contains a proprietary heat flux sensor located on the side that measures the amount of heat being dissipated by the body via a thermally resistant material. In short, this sensor measure how much heat the wearer's body is giving off. Heat flux is an important parameter because the body tends to heat up the faster it burns calories.
    3. Galvanic Skin Response - Better known as GSR, this sensor is comprised of two "hypo-allergenic" stainless steel electrodes on the back of the armband that measure skin conductivity. Skin conductivity is how much an electrical current can pass between two points on the surface of the skin and is affected by sweat due to physical exertion as well as emotional stimuli such as psychological stress.
    4. Skin Temperature - Skin temperature is measured by using a highly accurate thermistor-based sensor located on the back of the bodybugg™. Looking at continuous measurement of skin temperature in conjunction with data collected from the other sensors can reveal the body's core temperature trends which are affected by the level of a person's physical exertion or lack thereof.

The data these 4 sensors collect, in conjunction with the wearer's specific body parameters (age, gender, height, weight) enable the most accurate estimation of energy expenditure on the market today outside of a clinical setting.
  • BunnyHop
    BunnyHop Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Don't have a bodybugg or other HRM type device, but I'm intrigued.

(My fitness expenditures have been more towards weights and a kettlebell than other things. Maybe Santa can bring me one!)
  • arjames82
    Options
    I've been researching this product for a while, but I haven't made the big leap to purchase it. It's a nearly $400 investment and I want to make sure that it will be worth the money. Here is another website that provides additional information about the product:

http://www.bodybugg.com/index.php

When purchase the BodyBugg, you get the web program free for three months. After the three months is up, the fees are as follows:
    Month to month recurring ($14.95)
    1 month (29.95)
    3 months ($39.95)
    12 months ($99.95)
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's kind of like a heart rate monitor, but it doesn't record your heart rate. It is recording fluctuations in body temp among other things to measure actual calories burned.

It would have fun with me and my hot flushes then.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • kelhun1
    Options
    It's kind of like a heart rate monitor, but it doesn't record your heart rate. It is recording fluctuations in body temp among other things to measure actual calories burned.

It would have fun with me and my hot flushes then.... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:

It would be interesting to see if you burn extra calories during those times...at least then they would serve some sort of useful purpose!