Emotions with Weight loss

Options
Did you have lots of emotions with losing weight? My husband met me when I was right around 200lbs, and I'm now at 290, highest was 300lbs, so he has seen it all. My dr is on board with me losing weight, and thinks that if get down to around 160-170 that will be a healthy weight for me. So that means I have about 140lbs to lose, and I'm focusing on each big goal as 50lbs, and mini goals is 10lbs lost each time! But I have been having all these emotions, and feelings and not knowing what to do, and the person most affected by it is my husband. I'm really short with him, and I want to cry all the time. I am just wondering did anyone else go through emotions when first beginning this journey? And does it go away? I really want to keep on moving forward, and I know I will, but I feel so bad for my husband and how I'm treating him...Can anyone offer me advice or something?

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If you are being really moody/emotional you may be changing too much at once which is depriving you mentally & physically, for a true sustainable weight loss you need to find a way that works for you, but try reducing and small replacements instead of changing everything at once. This should help reduce the moodiness. Also, you will always have an adjustment period which is the hardest for some its a couple of weeks, for most its a couple of months, thats why Im a big promoter (and believer) in small changes leading to a huge difference. Once you make one healthy change its EASY and less stressful to make another
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    YES! I am not an emotional person but someone pointed out my weight loss yesterday and I get teary eyed.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    btw we have the same goal weight :) but I started at 258 :)
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Of course, I think it's safe to say we all are emotional when it comes to our weight loss or just weight in general. It's totally normal, hopefully when you start seeing those numbers drop on the scale it will assure you that you're doing a great job and to just keep up the great work.
  • tampabobby
    Options
    the next time you get upset you may want to stop and reflect a moment to find out what is really going on at that moment. putting a delay in between an emotion and acting out on it will probably help a lot. be accepting of whatever you find and move on to the next positive action.

also you may want to read this book for help understanding the emotions behind eating and weight: http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Guide-Ending-Compulsive-Eating/dp/0452262542/ref=pd_sim_b_1
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said it may be too many changes too fast. You will want to try and explore how and why you are feeling like you are. Be it a therapist, talking to your bestie or husband, journaling, whatever your method is. For most of us, there are deep reasons why we got the way we were. Food and our weight covered us up and kept us safe. Letting go of that is super scary. The thought of failing is rough. For everything positive I have felt along this journey, there has been an equal negative feeling. I have been at this long enough now that I see myself getting stronger, leaner, happier. Those negative thoughts are much quieter now.

And an fyi - oftentimes the spouses go through a period of this with our losses as well. Mine feels insecure about my changes and his role in them. ie - youre getting skinny and hot and might not want me anymore.

This is an emotional and mental battle much more than it is a physical one. Be as kind to yourself as you can and stick with it. I promise you its worth it!
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I honestly haven't changed much, I'm just making better food choices, barely drinking pop and not eating fast food. Those are the only big changes, and trying to workout too!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I honestly haven't changed much, I'm just making better food choices, barely drinking pop and not eating fast food. Those are the only big changes, and trying to workout too!

How much soda were you drinking? remember soda has caffeine when you suddenly reduce your caffein intake you have withdrawals very similar to those of drug addiction
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I noticed in another thread that you said you haven't had your monthly in a while because of your weight - so I can't help but wonder if hormone fluctuations have something to do with it? Just something to keep in mind...and maybe something to talk to your doctor about.

I agree with the advice above to try and stop yourself when you're starting to feel frustrated, angry, whatever - and figure out why you're feeling that way. And add a thought that it's not his fault so you really shouldn't take it out on him. If it's possible, go to another room and just take a breather or even go for a short walk to blow off some steam.