Calories eaten vs. Calories burned...does this sound correct

Options
I just wanted to double check and see if this sounds right...I recently had to raise my calories to 1500. Yesterday I ate 1714 calories and burned 451 calories, which puts my net calories at 1263. Is okay that my net calories are 1263 or should they be closer to 1500?

Replies

• vanadia
    vanadia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    That's okay. Just make sure your net calories remains above 1200.
  • joyelise
    joyelise Posts: 15
    Options
    I have the same question! My net calories are always under 1,000.
    Bad ? :/
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Now that one you should change to at least 1200 , but if you work out you usually need to eat 300-400 more.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    All the posts I've seen on here so far are from people saying that you shouldn't eat your burned calories back.. so if you ate 1500 and then burned 500, you shouldnt eat that 500 back in the same day. The users that live by this swear by it and say it really speeds up weight loss.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure that you're eating at least the minimum your body needs to function. I would recommend finding out your BMR so you can make sure you're eating at least that amount of calories. If you don't eat enough calories, you'll go into starvation mode.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much excess weight you have. Obese people can eat less than 1200 net calories and not worry about going into starvation mode. Use the Tools tab to find your BMI and weight classification.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to double check and see if this sounds right...I recently had to raise my calories to 1500. Yesterday I ate 1714 calories and burned 451 calories, which puts my net calories at 1263. Is okay that my net calories are 1263 or should they be closer to 1500?

As long as they are above 1200 you should be okay, that being said to meet your goal you must eat all of the calories MFP gives you.
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    See.. if I don't eat back my burned calories, I don't lose any weight at all. I swear my body shuts right down on me. I've tried it and all I got was frustration. lol. My body NEEDS the 2000 calories I feed it everyday. It's the only way I'll lose any weight.
  • sunnyrunner23
    sunnyrunner23 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ok I just checked my BMR and it's only 1137 calories. If I eat 1200 won't I gain weight? I think it's low because I am small and old!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    It really depends, make sure you are netting atleast 1200 a day and see how that goes for a few weeks, this is how I lost my first 50lbs. Now that my body is at a healthier weight I need to eat my exercise calories back and I am losing weight this way.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Ok I just checked my BMR and it's only 1137 calories. If I eat 1200 won't I gain weight? I think it's low because I am small and old!

BMR is what your body would burn if you literally slept all day.

Go to goals and look at your calories burned from regular activity, mine is set at sedentary because I dont log my exercise but it looks like this
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 1,640 calories/day
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    All the posts I've seen on here so far are from people saying that you shouldn't eat your burned calories back.. so if you ate 1500 and then burned 500, you shouldnt eat that 500 back in the same day. The users that live by this swear by it and say it really speeds up weight loss.
    I have been eatting well under my calories without realising it,and yet i have been putting weight on.I am told this is because my body needed more for what i was burning and my body wasnt getting it so went into starvation mode which is why i put weight on!!!And i can now understand that!!So i donmt know how they can swear by it¬!!My freinds are all fitness intructors and personal trainers so know what they are talking about!!And they all say its dangerous to not put enough in!!For instance if you need 1,200 without exercise and then ya workout and burn off say 700 cals but dont eat ya burn off then you are only putting 500 cals into your body!!Not been funny but ya couldnt run a car on no fuel so how can ya body run on no fuel!!Its like today if i wasnt careful i would have only put 50 cals into my body so i had to go back and re-think my menu for today!!!
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with chevy88girl. You have got to eat those burned calories back to keep the weight loss at a steady pace.

TRUST ME ON THIS! If you don't eat the exercise calories back, yes you will lose weight faster--AT FIRST! Then your body will not cooperate with you any longer and your weight loss will come to a screeching halt. Then you will be coming on here (like soooo many people) and asking "why am I not losing weight?"

If you set your calories at 1500, then you need to eat those 1500 hon. Your body needs fuel to burn those calories. So keep your net at 1500, keep that metabolism burning to keep the weight loss steady. Those people that swear by not eating them back will have that coming back to bite them in the butt sooner or later. Take it slow and steady. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!!
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You want to make sure that you're eating at least the minimum your body needs to function. I would recommend finding out your BMR so you can make sure you're eating at least that amount of calories. If you don't eat enough calories, you'll go into starvation mode.

Ok so here is my confusion regarding your statement. I am 23, weigh about 144 lbs. and am about 5'6". I joined mfp first in sept '10 and lost 8 lbs very quickly and easily and steadily eating first 1320 cals a day then 1290, and eating some of my exercise cals back. Then I got a very severe ankle injury, quit MFP, and gained it all back. Then in early Feb. of this year I started again and it has been very slow to move in comparison. I'm doing everything the same that I did before. I set it to lose 1 lb. a week and they set me back at 1290 cals a day. I usually burn about 400+ cals at least 4 days a week and I eat most of my exercise cals back...though some days I eat only half. Anyway, according to MFP, my BMR is 1426...that's a good bit more than what they're telling me to eat to lose weight. Does that mean I should set it to "lose 0.5 lb" to actually lose 1 lb? I should eat 1426? I'm just really, really confused.
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    I have to agree with chevy88girl. You have got to eat those burned calories back to keep the weight loss at a steady pace.

TRUST ME ON THIS! If you don't eat the exercise calories back, yes you will lose weight faster--AT FIRST! Then your body will not cooperate with you any longer and your weight loss will come to a screeching halt. Then you will be coming on here (like soooo many people) and asking "why am I not losing weight?"

If you set your calories at 1500, then you need to eat those 1500 hon. Your body needs fuel to burn those calories. So keep your net at 1500, keep that metabolism burning to keep the weight loss steady. Those people that swear by not eating them back will have that coming back to bite them in the butt sooner or later. Take it slow and steady. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!!
    Exactly what i was saying hun ya gotta listen to us!!I know too well what happens when u dont eat enough!!!!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I don't eat them all back, but if my net isn't within a certain range for a few days I notice that I start staring at the peanut butter and acting like an irritable wench...until I start getting more calories in. :-D
  • chevy88grl
    Options
    I know that upping your caloric intake goes against everything we've all learned when it comes to weight loss. However, as a rule severe caloric restrictions are designed for people who don't work out. Those who live a more sedentary lifestyle. If you aren't going to workout, then yes .. you MUST restrict your calories in order to lose weight. But, if you live an active lifestyle (I work on my feet 5 days a week AND I go to the gym 3-4 days a week... my lifestyle is definitely active) you MUST feed your body. This doesn't mean you go through the drive thru at McDonald's. It means that you feed your body with healthy food that it needs to function. Unfortunately, our bodies tend to hold onto fat when we aren't feeding it the right things.

MFP had my calorie intake set at 1750. If my BMR is 1453, I'm working on my feet burning an average of 500 calories in a 9 hour day AND going to the gym and burning another 500 calories -- I definitely need more than 1750 calories in a day. I tried doing 1750 and it simply didn't work.. I found that a) I was starving to death and b) I was gaining weight. I upped my calories to 2000 a day and you know what? Within a week or so, I went from 156lbs back down to 151lbs. So, I dropped 5lbs by simply eating more food. Everyone is different and we need to learn about our own bodies in order to achieve success in this journey. :)
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I know that upping your caloric intake goes against everything we've all learned when it comes to weight loss. However, as a rule severe caloric restrictions are designed for people who don't work out. Those who live a more sedentary lifestyle. If you aren't going to workout, then yes .. you MUST restrict your calories in order to lose weight. But, if you live an active lifestyle (I work on my feet 5 days a week AND I go to the gym 3-4 days a week... my lifestyle is definitely active) you MUST feed your body. This doesn't mean you go through the drive thru at McDonald's. It means that you feed your body with healthy food that it needs to function. Unfortunately, our bodies tend to hold onto fat when we aren't feeding it the right things.

MFP had my calorie intake set at 1750. If my BMR is 1453, I'm working on my feet burning an average of 500 calories in a 9 hour day AND going to the gym and burning another 500 calories -- I definitely need more than 1750 calories in a day. I tried doing 1750 and it simply didn't work.. I found that a) I was starving to death and b) I was gaining weight. I upped my calories to 2000 a day and you know what? Within a week or so, I went from 156lbs back down to 151lbs. So, I dropped 5lbs by simply eating more food. Everyone is different and we need to learn about our own bodies in order to achieve success in this journey. :)

Well that's awesome! But I'm still a little confused, because unlike with you, MFP has set me at calories LOWER than my BMR. That's why I'm confused.
  • jen2bhottie
    jen2bhottie Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Okay, I just checked my BMR again and it said 1862...Under my goals MFP has me burning 2510 from daily activity so in order to lose 2lbs per week has my calorie goal set at 1500.

For activity level, I chose lightly active because I became unemployed last summer and now go to school full time. Most of my time is spent doing schoolwork and sitting in class. I do go to the gym 4 times a week and am burning 350-450 each time, then I walk 2-3 mile (3.0 mph) 2 more days.

My doctor initially recommended 1200 calories, but that was before I started exercising. I saw him again on Saturday and told him about exercising so he recommended I gradually increase my calories accordingly, beginning with 1500-1600 calories.

initially, I had a problem getting up to 1200 calories but I've been working hard on that. I go to the gym around 7-8 pm and don't really know how much I'll burn, and per recommendations here on MFP, I've tried eating more during the day, so I'm not scrambling to eat 500+ calories after I work out. I try to keep my 3rd snack under 250 cal.

I guess I'm just frustrated because I lost 8 lbs the 1st month (no exercise) then my meds were adjusted and I lost 12 more lbs in the next 2 weeks (started minimal exercise), I have gained 2 lbs in these last 2 weeks which is when I've increased exercise. I lost more eating 1200 calories without really exercising and wonder if I should go back to that until I lose a little more weight (I'm 256 lbs now). But honestly, I'm not sure I could stop exercising at this point, it's been like a drug. I mean, I'm not trying to lose 5 lbs per week (I'd be ok with that though) but 1-2 lbs per week would be nice.

I think I'm going to try increasing my calorie intake (including net) every 4-5 days or so until I start losing, but that's hard to do with no appetite. Something I've noticed since raising my calories up from 1200 is that I've been going over in other areas like carbs and sugar and sometimes total fat...should I try raising the values?
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    wasn't adding my comment as a licensed physician or anything, just sharing what i'd read on other posts.. didnt think i was applying for a position as a health advisor :)

the people i was quoting were obviously wrong and i'm glad to have learned the right way to do the calorie counts!