Does anyone have any tips for a late night snacker?

Options
Hi all, I try and eat well during the day but really struggle after 8pm when my sweet cravings kick in...any good tips? healthier sweet options?:happy:

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I always have to have something at night. It depends on how many calories I have left as to what I have. A bowl of cereal, toast, fruit, yogurt. granola bar.

Works for me.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    HIDE the snacks!!! That's my only tip. That or eat fruit instead!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Sugar free Jell-O with FF Cool Whip. Sugar free pudding with Cool Whip.
  • bajuarez
    bajuarez Posts: 2
    Options
    Try snacking on something healthy. I eat a handful of almonds with a glass of water if im feeling the urge to snack.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jell-o, lots of fruits or even some veggies.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth and distract yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • JWeaser
    JWeaser Posts: 302
    Options
    Quaker brand Vanilla creme brulee rice cakes! Careful though, they are really addictive.
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    popcorn with some strawberry tea
    edy's natural fruit frozen bars
    grapes
    the popcorn helps because its light in cals but you get alot of it.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Get yourself off of refined sugar (and not by substituting artificial sweeteners, they don't help) and you won't have the cravings.
  • Hotbysummer
    Options
    if you can, work out as late as possible! I save my workouts for the last thing that i do, and just incorporate the 'exercise' calories in earlier....works like a charm!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    ice blocks- the little cheap ones you get for kids. they're only about 50 cals. or you can get really nice ones with about 80 cals. i have the little ones- if you suck them they last for ages!!!
    my friend also swears by putting grapes in the freezer then eating them like boiled sweets.
  • wysmom2000
    wysmom2000 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this since I deleted ice cream from my diet. I now make a smoothie with 1 c fat free milk, 1/2 c vanilla low fat yogurt and 1/2-1c of frozen fruit of choice (if you use frozen you don't have to add ice). Satisfies my craving plus comes in right under 200 cal depending on fruit.
  • LeeeBabiee
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream is sent from heaven. If you're not really into ice cream, do the sugar free jello puddings. They take a little while to get used to but do the trick.
  • candacecollins
    Options
    I dont know if this is something that would fit into ur schedule or not but this is what i do, i sit down first thing in the morning and take about 20-30 and plan my entire day all the way down to my every snack. So my advice is if this is something u cant stop, then plan for it, Hope this helps.

PS dont deprive yourself, the craving will only get stonger later on and u will more than likely over indulge and regret it. have ur snack in moderation,and if it is an everynight thing definetly take the advise from the above posters and get something that is not going to hurt that much to eat everynight, like the sugar free jello snacks.
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    Vitatops velvety chocolate muffins have 90 calories- you pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds and they taste like a molten chocolate cake. If you NEED sweet/chocolate it's satisfying (jello never did much for me)

If I just really want something sweet, I usually go for cantaloupe

also diet hot cocoa helps!
  • lolly1979
    lolly1979 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys..lots of great tips...im a newbie and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to add the ticker to my profile? Any new buddies would be appreciated also..thanks!:smile:
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you're not really hungry, try distracting yourself with something else like exercise or going to bed and read a book - I do both!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    what works for me a small glass of chocolate milk. I buy the fat free kind but just having a small amount satisfies my urge to binge on those snacks.
  • angwags
    angwags Posts: 3
    Options
    I love to make fruit smoothies at night. I use fat-free vanilla yogurt and frozen fruit, and a little milk. Throw it in the blender (my husband likes to add a little splenda) and you have a delicious smoothy!! I also like low fat frozen yogurt, a small piece of dark chocolate to kick that craving!
  • swopeswick
    swopeswick Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue for years... it is a tough one to conquer!! I really try to keep away from the late night carbs because that is a real sabboteur of a healthy lifestyle. Fruits and veggies just DO NOT do the job for me. In fact, they may satisfy in the immediate term, but within an hour I actually feel even hungrier. The one thing that I have found to be VERY satisfying and really tasty is almonds. A small handful of almonds provides a perfect combination of calories with healthy fats, which helps keep the hunger pangs away. Sam's Club sells a 3lb bag of shelled almonds (salted or unsalted) for under $10... fantastic deal!
    The other thing that works well is NATURAL peanut butter (the list of ingredients should be peanuts only... no sugar added)... smear a couple tablespoons on a sliced apple (some people like it on celeryor other fruits/ veggies).