What to do when friends visit...

Options
Okay, I have somewhat of an impending dilemma.

My best friend who lives out of town will be visiting in a few weeks for 2 weeks-- what this means is that since she is coming home for a little while we will do what we usually do... that means EAT! Now, I am trying my hardest to think of creative ways to manage this while she is here.

Three major things factor into this:

One-- We are Iranian so homecomings always mean lots and lots of food. Rice, rice, and more rice, delicious stews, kabob, etc. I need to have a game plan and strategize how I am going to eat when her mom makes us delicious and amazing food. The good thing here is that her mom is quite health conscious and there is always really nice salads and fruits available as well.

Two-- when she comes to town we are usually eating out and DRINKING out alot with friends. This means I will be eating out probably 60% more than I am currently and will be going to bars and having nights out. We will eat sushi, mexican, you name it. This is always how it goes and I also need to strategize here.

Three-- we are planning two days at the Disney Theme parks (yes, I live in Orlando haha) again, theme park food isn't always the healthiest . The good thing is here I will be doing ALOT of walking and swimming so there is my exercise right there. But again with the food and calorie counting.

ANY advice will be appreciated I really want to have fun while she's here but still make some progress and not gain during this time. Please let me know if you have come across this as a problem while losing weight!

THANKS SO MUCH!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    There are always good (or at least better) choices in restaurants. You know the basics - salads veggies grilled chicken and grilled fish. Get your dressings on the side and pass on the potatos and breads and rice. Sub veggies for the potatos and rice choices on entrees.

At the home dinners do the same thing.

At Disney. Argh. I used to live there too. It becomes everyone's favorite place when you live there. I think I went there 16 times one year.

Like you said, the exercise will take care of Disney - just enjoy it and don't worry while you're at Disney. It's harder to find good choices there since there are so many small eateries there.

I go to Vegas a lot as an adult. Same thing there - tons of delicious food, lots of walking. I never gain weight there, though it seems I eat whatever I want.

Enjoy yourself and don't stress too much. Get enough sleep. Drink your water. It will all work out.
  • nelster
    nelster Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Talk to your friend and explain your situation to her. Ask for her help and encouragement with portion control and exercise. Maybe she will be thrilled to be able to help you as well as enjoy time together. She is your best friend, right?
    Hope you have a great time together!
  • Kaileyxoxo
    Kaileyxoxo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You know, I have come into this problem also, many people associate friends and family get togethers with lots and lots of food. I would treat it like a "special occasion" kind of thing. Portion control is key here and don't feel guilty if you indulge a little. Plus disney will be a blast, have fun, suggest taking walks to "catch up" with eachother, and just think, you wont be eating like this all the time and if you DO gain weight or dont lose weight, think that next week you'll drink lots of water, stick hard to your calories and exercise a little harder-- and from this you may lose more weight than other weeks. =) Good luck
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the other responses and want to suggest that you make it a point to get in a HUGE workout each day and eat lighter for breakfast, lunch and snacks so you will have more calories to spend with her. That said, it's a short time period, this is a lifestyle change and you are gonna have a great time. Just try not to go too far off track and you'll be fine! (I'm in Tampa!)
  • thisistotallysarah
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your encouragement-- I feel alot less anxiety now and I really appreciate the tips. Thanks again!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Well I would tell your friend that you're still going to have a great time, but that you're going to be eating and drinking less and more healthily, and that it's important to you right now, and it would help you a lot if she didn't try and persuade you to eat. Friends can be real diet breakers, all that "Oh, just one won't harm you" stuff....

The great news is that Iranian food is fabulously healthy, I visited my partner there several times when he was posted there last year and it's the only place I've been on "holiday" where I lost weight without even trying!

One tip for the rice, you must steel yourself to eat just the plain rice and zereshk berries and avoid the tah-dig (crust) I know it's the best bit, but it's usually full of butter. You'll have to tell your friend that as a guest she must have it herself! But chicken kebobs are very healthy. Just stay away from the shishlik. Oh, and avoid the chicken fesenjen like the plague, I learned to make it and by the time the sauce had reduced I reckon it was about 50% walnut - I can't remember the calorie count but even before I was dieting I'd relegated it to special occasions only!

As for going out, sushi can be a low fat option, and lots of places do a salad or other healthy option.

Disneyland.. .You know the place better than me, and you're probably just going to have to chase Mickey around until you've burned enough calories to eat some junk food.. but it's worth looking into whether there are any healthy eating options there. They must get visitors from all sorts of cultures with all sorts of dietary requirements.

Main thing is though, make sure you're having a great time - that way you won't be minding so much that you're not eating the same as your friends. :)
  • thisistotallysarah
    Options
    Well I would tell your friend that you're still going to have a great time, but that you're going to be eating and drinking less and more healthily, and that it's important to you right now, and it would help you a lot if she didn't try and persuade you to eat. Friends can be real diet breakers, all that "Oh, just one won't harm you" stuff....

The great news is that Iranian food is fabulously healthy, I visited my partner there several times when he was posted there last year and it's the only place I've been on "holiday" where I lost weight without even trying!

One tip for the rice, you must steel yourself to eat just the plain rice and zereshk berries and avoid the tah-dig (crust) I know it's the best bit, but it's usually full of butter. You'll have to tell your friend that as a guest she must have it herself! But chicken kebobs are very healthy. Just stay away from the shishlik. Oh, and avoid the chicken fesenjen like the plague, I learned to make it and by the time the sauce had reduced I reckon it was about 50% walnut - I can't remember the calorie count but even before I was dieting I'd relegated it to special occasions only!

As for going out, sushi can be a low fat option, and lots of places do a salad or other healthy option.

Disneyland.. .You know the place better than me, and you're probably just going to have to chase Mickey around until you've burned enough calories to eat some junk food.. but it's worth looking into whether there are any healthy eating options there. They must get visitors from all sorts of cultures with all sorts of dietary requirements.

Main thing is though, make sure you're having a great time - that way you won't be minding so much that you're not eating the same as your friends. :)

Great tips with the persian food-- glad you are familiar with it! It's sooo tasty especially when homemade but yes-- will heed your advice!

Thank you!