Big folks need workout clothes too..

Options
Ok I just want to whine for a sec. I dont know if anyone else has noticed this but many stores do not carry plus size work out clothing. I went to Academy and there was nothing over a regular XL in most brands, and a couple of XXLs in a few brands. (women - Im pretty sure they carry 2x and 3x in men's). I could fit in the tops bc my top half is smaller than my bottom half - but the shorts were all too small. One size bigger would have done the trick but there was no such thing. Maybe its just where I live - maybe bigger cities have bigger selections?? - but I find that many stores (Kohls, Belk, Target, Dillards) here just don't bother carrying plus size athletic clothes - which I don't understand b/c DUH - I'm big - if anyone needs exercise - it's me! Make me some clothes to exercise in and I'll buy them!! And I'm pretty sure there are a LOT of people out there like me who will also fork over some dough for this stuff!! LOL.
Wal Mart carries the most plus size work out attire. But - many things I have bought there have shrunk like crazy! And I can't order stuff online b/c I have to try stuff on first- there's no way I'll know if anything fits right w/o trying it on. Anyhoo - just felt like whining about this. I can't wait to lose another 20 -30 pounds so that I can fit in the smaller stuff that all the stores carry. But it just seems to me those stores and/or clothing lines are missing out on some major sales by not offering their products in larger sizes. Anyone else feel me on this?

Replies

• dustylcsmith
    dustylcsmith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Preach on! I am having a terrible time trying to find workout clothing. I once found a pair of nike capris in a 3x and I thought I was in heaven. I can't wear men's tops in 2 and 3x because the "short" sleeves come down to my forearms....
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Old Navy online. They have plus size work out clothes (they also carry petites and talls for anyone who is looking for different lengths) and they're pretty reasonable. They have a lot of sales and you can usually get free shipping. I love love love their fold-over yoga pants and capris.
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    And I know you said that you can't order stuff online, but if it helps at all I'm 5'11 and 270 and take a 2x in their pants (in talls). Hopefully that will help a little bit when looking for the right size.
  • crystal10584
    Options
    I just work out in guys clothes... they're more comfortable sometimes :)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Moving Comfort makes a range of their workout clothes in plus sizes (up to 3x). I have a lot of their stuff and it is very well made. it does run a little large though, so if you do happen to order online, go down a size.
  • kcarreno
    kcarreno Posts: 48
    Options
    Completely agree! I usually wear a big t-shirt and hanes sweat pants from wal-mart. I would love to have some of the workout clothes that don't make you look like a total slob every time you workout, but I will eventually get there---it's one of my planned rewards actually--to buy cute workout clothes! Something to work harder for I guess :)
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out (size 22), I could only really find work out clothing to fit at Lane Bryant. Unfortunately their stuff can be pretty seasonal and isn't always easy to find.

I'm at the point in my journey now where I can wear the XLs at Academy and Target. They seem to be around a size 16.

And I definitely think men have it a bit easier on finding the larger sizes.

Good luck. Hope you find something that works soon.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Got mine from Old Navy online too! Sometimes Wal-mart will have a 2X, I've bought their Danskin (SP?) brand shorts and stuff and they are pretty comfy. Also check out stores at the mall like DEB, the usually have shorts and yoga pants but nothing fancy.

IF you want the hardcore, sweat-wicking type stuff. Nike and Addidas carry limited quantities of plus sizes on their websites.
  • NicoleYates
    Options
    i found mine at wal-mart. sadly, i felt horrible when i had to buy 4x when in any other brand of clothing i wear a 2x.... i'm a 22-24... and that's 4x is walmart land. but! they were cheap! 3 pairs of capris, and 4 tanks for around 30 dollars. and they double as great lounging around the house clothes too... because, let's face it... who gets dressed to clean house? really?
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I agree...why the stores don't carry them is a mystery to me as well. Doesn't seem fair at all. The clothing manufacturers double the price of a blouse as soon as it goes past XL...and the stores make us order online so now we have shipping and handling. heaven forbid if it doesn't fit...now we have to pay shipping and handing to send it back and again, if we reorder. Doesn't seem quite right to me. We deserve cute workout clothes too
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    And I know you said that you can't order stuff online, but if it helps at all I'm 5'11 and 270 and take a 2x in their pants (in talls). Hopefully that will help a little bit when looking for the right size.

OMG - Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm 6'1 and 260 and have been finding it nearly impossible to find decent workout clothes. I will check out Old Navy online immediately!!
  • VixNoir
    VixNoir Posts: 5
    Options
    Also a note about the Old Navy online option is that you can return anything you buy online at any Old Navy store.
    I recently went shopping for work out clothes and had the same problem. Mostly I would like workout clothes to come in cute colors and not just black and oversized.
    Old Navy is good for work out clothes. Go try on at store. The XXL Is very big for me but I don't like my clothes to fit too tight.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I had trouble at first, but have managed to find clothes now at walmart. My biggest problem now is finding sports bras that work. I am down to a 36band size but the sports bras in that size seem to assume that means you are at most a C cup (I am a G!). I don't want to spend a lot on a sports bra at the moment because my sizes were changing so quickly it just wasn't worth it. so I just wear 2 and a shirt with a built in and that seems to help :laugh: :laugh:
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Old Navy online has a pretty good selection. If you shop Walmart, stick to the Danskin line - less shrinkage, and the sizing is fairly spot on in the plus range. The Champion brand has a whole plus size line, and it seems to wear VERY nicely. There really is some great stuff out there, but - also being in a rural area - most of it tends to be found online. Good luck!
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time finding a sports bra....I found moving comfort. I love it very supportive & comfortable!

2639362.png
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with all clothes. It seems any department stores don't carry my size in store (not to mention, when you do find the larger sizes, they cost more). I was working in a fast food restaurant for a bit just to earn some extra cash, and had to get black cotton pants (not dress pants/slacks, jeans, or sweats, had to be a mostly cotton blend, so annoying). I found mens pants at walmart I could fit, but after giving birth three times, I don't really have the hips to pull off men's pants anymore (they look so strange on me). In women's? Nothing that will fit me until I lose about 25 - 30 lbs! In a country where we call obesity an epidemic, why can't I find clothes that fit me?! Luckily, I inherited some clothes from one of my mom's friends that had gastric bypass done. If I didn't have those, I'd have like no clothes that fit me because I can't afford to pay premium prices for 'specialty' stores to find my sizes. I also understand your stand point about buying things online. Sometimes if someone I know buys online that's close to my size, I feel comfortable ordering from that site because I have something to gauge by, but at the same time sometimes they don't look the same on me as they do on the cute sized model wearing them in the picture. I mean, it's not like they're different clothes, but sometimes it's hard to gauge how my well rounded shape will alter the appearance of the clothing.

So frustrating! Thank you for starting this thread so those of us with this problem (that, in my case, were too embarrassed to mention it) feel less awkward and shameful about the situation.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    im 275 and i use the danskin wicking yoga crops they carry. they are xxl and in the regular sized clothing. when i find them i buy them. last year i was afraid i wouldnt' find them again so i bought the size down from the xxl so i have xxl and xl. the xxl are now too big waiting till they fall off completely before going into the xl though. i plan on getting my use of all my clothes while growing out of them. don't wanna have to keep purchasing stuff.
  • dustylcsmith
    dustylcsmith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also a note about the Old Navy online option is that you can return anything you buy online at any Old Navy store.
    I recently went shopping for work out clothes and had the same problem. Mostly I would like workout clothes to come in cute colors and not just black and oversized.
    Old Navy is good for work out clothes. Go try on at store. The XXL Is very big for me but I don't like my clothes to fit too tight.

Old Navy Plus Size returns cannot be made in the store anymore. It is online only all the way. I do love thier clothing, but the return policy has changed.
  • labgirl3
    labgirl3 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It seems like Target might have a few items - nothing spectacular, but it's one more option. If you are willing to fork over some money, Athleta.com has some gorgeous stuff. I still won't pay full price for their clothes (not until I'm much closer to my goal weight), but I've picked up a few things on sale and love them.

I like Old Navy as well, and Lane Bryant.

You're right though - it is really frustrating that the options are so limited!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    sad but I usually just wear my normal clothes. It sucks because of the sweat and they aren't that comfortable but gotta do what i gotta do.

My friend (pb2myj) showed me this link...it's pretty new but what a GREAT idea!! MFP members swapping clothes and such for when you drop weight. Your clothes may not fit you anymore but they'll fit someone else on their journey!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/MFP-clothing-swap/141852735885571?sk=wall