I need to get this right..

Options
Do i want my net to be a high number such as 1200 or lower to help loose weight? Im really confused, I usually get it to around 800 no problem but the weights not coming off and im getting very frustrated with myself and feel like im going to give up! HELP me please someone! !

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Do i want my net to be a high number such as 1200 or lower to help loose weight? Im really confused, I usually get it to around 800 no problem but the weights not coming off and im getting very frustrated with myself and feel like im going to give up! HELP me please someone! !

You need atleast 1200 to survive
  • HayleyDavison1
    HayleyDavison1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know i need 1200 calories to survive a day, but the net (cals - exercise) want to be around 1200 at the end of the day aswell?
  • Mochadog
    Mochadog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your net should always be 1200 if that is the minimum requirement for you for the day as set by MFP.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    yes thats exactly right, if you eat 1200 calories, and then burn 300, eat another 300...so you still net 1200.
  • vanadia
    vanadia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes, your net calories should be 1200 cal/day. So if you only eat 1200 then burn off 400 at the gym, you're not properly fueling your body.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    Here's what a nutritionist once told me:

Take your weight and multiply times 10. So, if you are 150 lbs, then your number would be 1500. That's the number of calories to maintain your weight. If you want to lose, reduce that amount by 100 -200 calories per day, and always eat your exercise calories.

So, the math for a 150 lb woman would be:

150 x 10 = 1500
    minus 200 = 1300
    Add your exercise calories back in and you're good to go.

I do both calories and carbs. Try to stay around 1300 calories per day, and below 60 grams of carb.

:happy:
    1178051.png

GOAL ATTAINED!!!!!
  • HayleyDavison1
    HayleyDavison1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will get right on track now :D x
  • mcrow
    mcrow Posts: 2
    Options
    Generally speaking you should just find your maintenance levels.

Weeight x10 is a pretty good method for quick and dirty calulation.

Then add calories equal to half of what you burn in your exercise.

So if you workout for an hour and burn 400 calories, then you eat an extra 200 calories.

The reason I say half instead of all the calories from workouts is this:

#1- Most people vastly overestimate how many calories they burn during exercises. Calculators and heart rate monitors at best have a 20% variation.

#2- I prefer to not to totally offeset all of my exercise (from a weight loss stand point) with eating them all.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking you should just find your maintenance levels.

Weeight x10 is a pretty good method for quick and dirty calulation.

Then add calories equal to half of what you burn in your exercise.

So if you workout for an hour and burn 400 calories, then you eat an extra 200 calories.

The reason I say half instead of all the calories from workouts is this:

#1- Most people vastly overestimate how many calories they burn during exercises. Calculators and heart rate monitors at best have a 20% variation.

#2- I prefer to not to totally offeset all of my exercise (from a weight loss stand point) with eating them all.

This sounds really good!
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    actually this post is really helpful for me... so thanks! you are helping lots of people!