Quinoa

Options
So I've recently come across this several times, What is this? and what are good ways of preparing it? It looks to be quit healthy, and filling as it is a grain.

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's actually not a grain! Weird, huh?

The best way to serve it is in the place of rice or in a cold salad. My salad bar here at work has two kinds. You can buy it in any grocery store and it's high in protein! Trainer Bob from Biggest Loser had a recipe that used it that was featured on Rachel Ray today. I guess he used it in a Stirfry!
  • lilttriana
    Options
    It is absolutely delicious and easy to prepare. Make sure you rinse it and try cooking using low sodium chicken broth to cook instead of water. I often add diced carrots or peas or both to mine as it is delicious. It is also a wonderful substitute for rice with stir fry.. Happy healthy eating..
  • brownspicegirl
    Options
    its yummy, I make a veg pilaf with it and a pecan and cranberry dish with it as well.
    I did post the recipes here, I hope you find it, if not inbox me.
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    very high in protein too
  • dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It is a grain and it is excellent as a side dish. You need to soak it overnight (or for at least 12 hours) and then you can prepare it in a rice cooker easy peazy - 1 part quinoa to 2 parts liquid. A co-worker of mine said its really tasty when you cook it in low sodium chicken or vegetable stock/broth. You can mix it up with some stir fry veggies and it is NUM!
  • ssernst
    ssernst Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love Quinoa, I use it in stir frys instead of rice. It is a grain that is a complete protein source. Make sure you buy the kind that doesn't need rinsing, and just follow the directions on the package. You just boil it in water like you would rice. It's kind of crunchy and really filling. :)
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    I love quinoa. I mix it with toasted walnuts and white raisins with a little parsley...so good
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great! Its a grain and also a protein...which is fabulous if you're cutting out meat.
    It can be used instead of rice in meals. I like it cold with veggies and lemon juice....like a pasta salad.
    I went to a Whole Foods grocery and sampled different salads they made to get ideas on what to make.
    Good luck!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Guys, it really is not a grain. It's okay for Jews to eat during Passover, so therefore not a grain!
  • miswen
    miswen Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I agree, it is a great substitute for rice. You do need to rinse it. I also "brown" it a bit, just til they pop. I love the flavor! You can buy it in a box. I also buy it bulk at my local co-op.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Here you go: "Most commonly considered a grain, quinoa is actually a relative of leafy green"

So it's considered a grain but is not actually a grain. It's great for people that can't eat grain!
  • lilttriana
    Options
    It is a pseudocereal and is actually a member of the leafy green family.. Still delicious
  • lilttriana
    Options
    I argued with someone about this a while back and actually ended up looking it up.. : - )
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Not to sound stupid but where can I buy this? I am intrigued!
  • ahanson6
    ahanson6 Posts: 102
    Options
    Whole foods generally has several choices.
  • lilttriana
    Options
    Usually in the health food section or the same place that all of the gluten free foods are in your supermarket..
  • kimmshaw77
    Options
    I made some in the rice cooker the other day...one part quinoa to two parts liquid...I used fat free no msg chicken stock. I also added a few sun dried tomatoes some chopped garlic. It was really really really good.

Plain is very good as well, but a little bland for my taste. I think they also have some recipes on the box of as well. You can usually find a box in the natural section of the grocery store.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Not to sound stupid but where can I buy this? I am intrigued!

Costco has it for $9.99 for a pretty large bag.
  • tarazena
    tarazena Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Quinoa and now that I see this I am going to make some :)
    Not only can you make salads and savoury rice dishes with it..I eat it for breakfast.
    Cook quinoa- then add 1/2 banana and a few walnuts- great breafast! I also do mango with a little bit of unsweetened coconut (just a sprinkle). You get fibre, protein, many nutrients.