type of kitchen scale

Options
hey everyone I am considering buying a kitchen scale since I want more accuracy in my diet. I was looking at ebay and saw some white round ones up to 5 kg but they are from overseas I think, work with batteries, and only about 5 bucks. Is this the kind you use? I saw some at target and walmart but they are over 15$ and not very cheap. Do you recommend a specific brand that is more accurate? I've never owned one so I have no idea what to look for or if it matters. thanks!

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I would get a digital one that measures in grams. You will pay more than $15 for a good one at a store unless its on clearance. Mine was $50. So if money is tight try to find a digital one on ebay that measures in grams as well as ounces. Oh make sure it uses watch batteries, if not regular household batteries.
  • nursegessica
    Options
    I bought the won from WalMart. It works fine. It measures in all kinds of units (kg, ounces.....).
  • new_me_9_67
    new_me_9_67 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Your local Target has a good selection of digital scales. My wife and I looked around and we're very happy with the one we bought there. of course I could not tell you what model it is but we paid right around $35 for it
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I bought walmart brand digital for $20. I like it. Batterys don't last long, though.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I bought the same digital food scale as nursegessica. It's by Mainstay I think, it was about $19.97. I :heart: it, especially since you can measure it in ounces, grams, pounds up to 10lbs and kilograms. It stays on long enough to add more to the scale, if you're short. I've looked at other scales on amazon but they all had mixed reviews and the ones that looked reliable cost around $20, but then you'd have to pay for shipping.
  • Rklane
    Rklane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine came from Bed Bath & Beyond. We paid around $40 for it. Digital and uses a 9 volt battery. I agree get one that is ounces and grams.
  • doris_day
    doris_day Posts: 159
    Options
    I got mine from Bed Bath and Beyond too, about $40. Get one that allows you to zero out. That means when I put a bowl or plate on the scale, I can reset the weight to zero and start adding food onto it.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I got mine from WalMart for about $15....I know everyone's financial situation is different but I don't think $15 is all that much, especially considering you'll have it for a long time. If you go with ebay, you'll still have to pay shipping and if it's used you just never know what you'll get.

I'm not sure what brand mine is, but it is digital and comes with a bowl which is handy or you can use your own plate or bowl, you can weigh grams or ounces and it has a tare feature which is really convenient.
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    thanks for the advice everyone! I will do some more shopping around and maybe go to Target this weekend.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump..thank you for posting this..I was just talking to my friend about a new dig. scale...mine is old school...
  • caesarslaw
    Options
    there's so many options out there ...flat ones, bowl ones, glass, plastic, etc. but at least we have some guidelines to go by when buying them