Carb Cravings

Options
Hi All,

I'm loving this site, it's a great source of information and advice and certainly great people too... I have a small question and I hope some may be able to give some advice to me.

I am basically spending until the 1st May reviewing my eating / exercise habits etc and the intention is during this period I am thinking about what I eat and when and why etc.. The main concept is not to jump in to a lifestyle change without looking at it first of all. Even before starting this, I am aware of one thing that I've always had - CARB CRAVINGS.. Now I am trying to find out if I do have carb cravings or if it's just savory or pastry cravings..

Whilst I tend to eat ok(ish) normally, I love to eat Pork Pies (normally mini ones), Sausage Rolls, Cornish Pasties and crave the fortnightly pizza (although I have now reduced to a Domino's Personal Pizza size, but then I end up buying more as well to feel full).. I don't know what it is, but the main ones (Pork Pies, Sausage Rolls and Pasties) are something I really struggle to give up..

Is it a craving for carbs or pastry based food or just processed meat? Has anyone else had these type of foods they struggle to stop and if you have done, how have you done it.. Can I keep these in my future diet to lose weight or would it be advisable to remove them? Feel free to look at my foods so far (bear in mind I am using this site to track what I am doing to see what needs to change first)...

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    i like pasties, sausage rolls and pizza, rather than cut it all out if u just reduce the amount u eat, dont have it every day, just try having it twice a week, if u cut it out completely will probably ake u crave it more. The 1 thing i've learnt since being on here is how to control what i eat rather than not having stuff i like, i e having smaller portions or having 4 choc's out the box instead of eating the whole box in 1 go, and before i wouldnt have even thought about the fat, sugar calories etc, now i do.
  • delightednow
    Options
    i take vitamin b6 pills... they crave my sugar cravings so much
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You could try making them yourself so that they aren't as processed, there's loads of good recipes online (think the Hairy Bikers do a few). If you use better quality, leaner meats and have less pastry they should be better than the shop bought ones which I tend to find are more pastry than filling.

Then I guess it's just a case of making smaller sizes and having them less often. I tend to eat well through the week and relax a bit at weekends. I find it easier to resist cravings through the week because I know I can have a small amount of whatever it is (usually pizza or crisps) at the weekend. Must admit, I quite fancy a sausage roll now though *g*
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I was a carb addict. Being a Diabetic eating carbs 1) makes me all happy and drunk feeling. 2) is going to kill my bg numbers and probably led to my heart attack (At the age of 37 two years ago!)

I cut down my carbs. I no longer eat sandwiches. I don't eat fries. I switched to low carb breads, low carb skinny buns and oatmeal. Gave up junk food too. But I do eat 5 times a day. So I just got used to lowering my carbs down. Took a good two weeks. But it's been about 1.5 months and I have gotten used to not having those particular foods. I still have rice and pasta but in the exact portions called for and no more. I measure everything I eat in measuring cups as I prepare it.
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    Thanks for the advice all.. Will have a look at some of the options.. I don't want to cut them out - otherwise it'll never work, but being sensible about them - well - that makes sense..
    Like the idea of making my own as well - the Hairy Bikers have some great stuff, might have a play at that soon :)

Thanks again..