Standing vs. Sitting

Options
A friend of mine that has his PhD in Biomechanics posted this article on Facebook today.

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/menshealth/most-dangerous-thing-youll-do-all-day

To me, it's a little bit of old news as a different friend of mine experienced a 20 pound weight-loss after having his desk raised to standing height at work -- and doing nothing else. It is a great reminder that our biggest enemy is the chair/couch/bed that we sit in while we work, play video games, surf the internet, watch TV, and read.

The writer suggests two breaks from sitting each hour if you have a sedentary job (like I do). I've been doing it this afternoon, and it's amazing the other things I do when I'm not sitting!

So get up off your butt! Not just for your 20-60 minutes of exercise, but as often as you can. You can watch TV while standing! Find your excuse. :-)

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Agree in full. And maybe put the remote control back on the TV, get out of your chair to change channels.
  • HalfofHilary
    Options
    Agree in full. And maybe put the remote control back on the TV, get out of your chair to change channels.

LOL Yeah my husband would have a fit at that!
  • crawdiddy01
    Options
    i purposely go to the gym while my favorite shows are on, might as well let my eyes relax and my legs pound it out!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I used to do my ironing while watching TV, it used to take ages because I was watching instead of ironing, but I was on my feet.

That idea isn't any use for me, as I've given up on both watching television and doing ironing . :D
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I used to do my ironing while watching TV, it used to take ages because I was watching instead of ironing, but I was on my feet.

That idea isn't any use for me, as I've given up on both watching television and doing ironing . :D

lol. I just found my iron after 4.5 years of thinking I left it at my last house. It's a sign of how often I iron that I never replaced it!
  • aubeelynn
    aubeelynn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try to make myself fold laundry in the bedroom, because I'm forced to stand at the bed, rather than sit on the couch and do it in the living room. But I also find I have the problem of taking twice as long because I watch tv while I do it!! Makes you think about what other things you can stand to do rather than sit.
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Options
    Like the idea if this will give it a go tomorrow, as i'm on a break from work, usually i'm up and down all day at work..:happy: :happy:
  • hdcpacman
    Options
    I never thought about this, but it makes sense. I will definitely be incorporating this into my day now - as I type, I'm standing instead of sitting ;) - little changes! lol.

A lot of my job is either sitting at a computer or driving, so I'm sitting for a good majority of my day (and night); so now I am going to put my laptop on the bar and stand to do what I have to do on the computer - can't really drive standing... :)
  • knittygirl52
    knittygirl52 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Okay, dear daughter--you've inspired me. Since I'm working at home today I put my laptop on the kitchen counter and I'm standing.

Do I get to blame you if my back starts killing me? :wink:
  • tiffanymariebrock
    Options
    I usually sit while doing the laundry! I never thought of standing while I did it! What a great idea. I love it and will try it today! thanks
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    When I sit down a lot, I get really hungry, and eat eat eat. Like RIGHT NOW. Im starving, but probably not. lol
  • candlegal
    candlegal Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this info!!! Last Monday night I was at my sons baseball game and I stood for the entire game! I came home and was going to somehow log that standing and I thought "oh I guess that's not really worth logging I couldn't have burned too many calories just standing" I was wrong!! It IS better to stand than sit at the game, I will do it again, he has a game today if it doesn't rain!
    I bookmarked that article so I can refer to it again! Thanks!

Julie