Sugar Free products

Options
Why is it that sugar free, cookies, jello etc have calories? When I did the weight watchers diet I could eat all the sugar free products without losing any calories. That was the good thing about sugar free products, but when I log it in here, it adds up about 200 calories for 3 cookies! I'm confused.

Replies

• rebeccaS85
    rebeccaS85 Posts: 141
    Options
    Bump
    Would like to know too
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Quick question....did eating all the sugar free cookies without counting the calories work for you in your goal to loose weight...just curious.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    ...well, usually anything you eat has calories... the products do not JUST contain sugar free substitues.

That's what I never understood about WW, they claim you can eat all of THIS and THAT... to me it was just a free reason to eat whatever all the time =)
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't the only part of a cookie that has calories--chocolate, butter, peanut butter, nuts, etc.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Why is it that sugar free, cookies, jello etc have calories? When I did the weight watchers diet I could eat all the sugar free products without losing any calories. That was the good thing about sugar free products, but when I log it in here, it adds up about 200 calories for 3 cookies! I'm confused.
    They have quite a few calories in them. When you buy no fat foods they have to add back the flavor by adding in more sugar and often more sodium. When you buy no sugar foods they add extra fat to add back the taste.

Everything counts, calories, protein, sodium, carbs etc. It can all make or break a good weightloss plan.
    I'm not sure I understand why Weight Watchers would tell anyone sugar free food has no calories but I've also heard they tell members they don't have to count fruit and veggie calories. :huh: I don't understand the logic in that either, I'm not sure there is one actually.

Adding in everything that goes in our mouth will bring far better results in weightloss and health.
    Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:

ETA: very tired, seems I left out words!:blushing: :tongue:
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't the only part of a cookie that has calories--chocolate, butter, peanut butter, nuts, etc.

ETA to say "Bah, I accidentally double posted!"
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    Quick question....did eating all the sugar free cookies without counting the calories work for you in your goal to loose weight...just curious.

Yes! When I did the WW I lost 26lbs and never counted the sugar free products. Anything with Splenda, or baby carrots for example did not count.

Here it's harder for me since every food counts, so if I'm hungry I have no back ups to go to without having consequences :frown:
  • susyseq
    Options
    They have quite a few calories in them. When you buy no fat foods they have to add back the flavor by adding in more sugar and often more sodium. When you buy no sugar foods they add extra fat to add back the taste.

Everything counts, calories, protein, sodium, carbs etc. It can all make or break a good weightloss plan.
    I'm not sure I understand why Weight Watchers would tell anyone sugar free food has no calories but I've also heard they tell members they don't have to count fruit and veggie calories. :huh: I don't understand the logic in that either, I'm not sure there is one actually.

Adding in everything that goes in our mouth will bring far better results in weightloss and health.
    Good luck to you.:flowerforyou:

ETA: very tired, seems I left out words!:blushing: :tongue:

Thank you! :)
  • susyseq
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advise, I'm still kinda mad though lol :laugh:
  • rosebud916
    rosebud916 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers and the only thing sugar free that wasnt counted was sf jello and diet soda , everything else was always added as points.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I find it very strange that sugar free cookies didn't count. It makes sense that they still have lots of calories from all the ther ingredients- especially the butter!

I'm with you on some sugar free products though - the one I really don't get is sugar free gummi bears and jelly worms etc. They still have a significant proportion of the calories (maybe 210ish instead on 350ish for 100g) but I thought jelly sweets were made of sugar and gelatine. So if you make them from sweetener where are the calories from? The gelatine???
  • susyseq
    Options
    I don't know but whatever they put in it sure helped keep the hunger away. I find myself struggling lately especially on the weekends when my husband and I eat out or are at family events. For example Easter is coming up, I am already feeling terrified of what I am going to go through and what I am going to eat??? :(