Vitamin B5 and weight loss?

Options
Today I had my very first session with a personal trainer. Half way through our session, a very buff older gentleman (older than I am! This guy was at least 70 and quite fit.) stopped and said hello to the trainer, and wanted to let him know that he had made some changes that were contributing to his fitness. He said he had done some research and was now taking B vitamins, especially B5, which helps burn fat more efficiently. After he explained this, he turned to me and said "You should try this." Ouch. Thank you very much, buff old guy.

Was he right? Does B5 help? Has anyone tried it?

Replies

• mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I've read it but still not sure it works. Weight loss comes down to a healthy lifestyle. Unfortunately there is no "magic" pill.
  • GypsyQueen
    GypsyQueen Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I searched Vitamin B5 but did not find a reference to weight loss..... Seems it is in some of our foods we already eat (see below). Always good to keep informed, this is the first I have heard of B5/weight loss thank you for bringing it up!

Whole grains are another good source of the vitamin B5, but milling often removes much of the pantothenic acid, as it is found in the outer layers of whole grains.[11] Vegetables, such as broccoli and avocados, the most important sources of the vitamin are rice, wheat brans, alfalfa, peanut meal, molasses, yeasts, and condensed fish solutions
  • jteammom
    jteammom Posts: 173
    Options
    I guess it is not weight loss so much as efficient fat burn. I certainly don't expect a magic pill, but a little boost would be nice!
  • Chalseylee
    Chalseylee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B1 is responsible for carb metabolism, B6 is responsible for for the metabolism of sugar, fat and protein, B12 is responsibe for the metabolism of protein and fat, the other B's are important as well and are involved in nerve transmission, aid in red blood cell production, etc. etc...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I noticed that I don't get the afternoon slump when I take a B complex. Not sure about the efficiency factor though.
  • HerbieSue
    HerbieSue Posts: 288
    Options
    I guess it is not weight loss so much as efficient fat burn. I certainly don't expect a magic pill, but a little boost would be nice!
    [/quote

Excuse me, but I can't stop staring at your truffles!