5'2 LADIES

Options
Hello everyone!
I am 5'2, started at 132 lbs and I am currently at 125 lbs. I have tried eating healthy/exercising before but whenever I hit 125 lbs, I cannot go under 125! It is so frustrating and I don't know if I'm doing anything properly. I work out usually at least 4 times a week on the elliptical for an hour each time and I always eat 1200 calories/day.... maybe more if I work out. Has anyone ever been in my position? Did you end up losing the weight? If so, can you please give me some advice :( I always give up here and my doctor says I need to lost % body fat... Thank you so much!

Replies

• anna441
    anna441 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am also 5ft 2 inch.....

I think 120- 125 lbs is the healthy weight for someone who is 5ft 2in......

I have never been 125 lbs...I was always a chubby kid and my highest weight was 180 lbs.Hopefully some day I can reach 125 lbs..
  • RoxieLover
    Options
    well you certainly seem to be losing the weight! you look really great! keep it up
    im not as concerned about the weight, it's more that I'd like to feel comfortable in my body and I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and she said my % body fat is high so I need to build muscle i guess...
  • SkyeBows
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it I don't believe Dr's know everything. If you are healthy and you can have an active lifestyle without a problem then 125 is fine :) I am 5'2 and when I was under 120 I was anorexic and nothing under 120 ever looked good 130 is my goal but I am also larger in the chest.
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi there !

Do you like running ? This is how I lost all the baby weight and I am now battling the last 2 pounds. I find it much more effective than the elliptical - but thats just my opinion. I would also advise to have only whole wheat pastas, brown rice, whole wheat + no sugar bread, etc. as carbs. These last pounds are def. very hard to loose, but Im sure you can do it. Perseverance is the key ! :flowerforyou:
  • JessAnn08
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and I am just starting my diet. I weigh 185. :( Before I had my daughter I weighed 140. My weight got up to 200 pounds at one point. I am so devoted and focused on losing weight right now. :happy:
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and my goal weight is 125-130. I want to get to 130 (only 7 lbs away) and see how I feel. I wouldn't go under 125 though. For me, that would probably be too thin. You're in the "healthy" weight range for height. Is there a reason your doc wants you to lose weight?

If you still want to lose, try mixing up your workout a bit. You mentioned the elliptical. Do you do anything else? You're body may need a change in the routine if you're only doing one type of exercise. Or maybe amp it up with interval/HIIT training on the elliptical.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm (almost) 5'2 and the best advice I can give you is to add in weight lifting. And I don't mean cute little pink dumbbells either. Build some muscle and you will not only shed weight, but totally change your body composition. I already had a good foundation for lifting so I didn't use this, but I've heard some good things about "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Cassandra Forsythe (I think that's her name.)
  • Curves73
    Curves73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2, I was in the army all muscle and I weighted 140. I looked amazing. 125 is great- Stop being silly and enjoy your life.
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi - any more 5'2" ladies out there that want to start this thread back up? I'm 3 weeks into mfp and have a goal weight of 135 (SW 164, CW 157). But mainly I want to fit into the clothes in my closet!!! Anyone else have similar goals? Would love some friends to share motivation!
  • RoseRDH
    RoseRDH Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi girls : ) Another 5ft 2 here! I'm 130 right now...my lowest last year was 118 but the weight was lost infortunately the wrong way (very stressful unhealthly relationship I was gettting out of). Of course since then I've put the weight back on. I would love to be in the "teens" but I'm good with 120!

Feel free to add me : ) I'm semi-new here, been lurkin for while ; )

I've also been changing my eating and switching some things out of my diet...trying to eat "clean". All I can say is that eating clean (I would say I'm about 85% clean eating) for the last couple weeks has left me feeling great! I'm scared to get on the scale but I feel good!

Another thing I swear by is my heart rate monitor to make sure I stay within the right "zones" to burn fat NOT muscle!
  • grstorm
    grstorm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and haven't weighed 125 since I was in the Army. Once I had my daughter I ballooned and can't get below 170. I'm in a weird phase and I feel like I am starving and I want to eat crap and I feel like I am fighting to stay motivated. I've been eating out more than usual so I think that is throwing me off but I feel like I am dieting which I didn't feel at first when I started this.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and almost exactly in the same boat you are. My weight loss has slowed to a crwal. I think maybe part of my problem is that my eating has gotten alittle more laxed. So I am going to start measuring my food again. I know lots will disagree, but you might try dropping your calories by 200 per day or do not eat your exercise calories. I have managed to lose to 115 pounds, but it took me about 5 months to get off 25 pounds. I did gain back all of the weight, but it was not due to starvation mode. It was depression. So now I'm at it again. Good luck!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Yay! I love other short people. I am 5'2. Started at 187 last summer and am now at 139. 125 is my goal. I have a very large chest so anything under 125 makes me look sickly. Can't wait to be 125!
  • babybadgers2
    Options
    Honestly, the one thing I learned from athletic training is: pounds don't matter. Stop measuring pounds. Go by look and feel. If you feel like you need to lose some baggage in problem areas, coordinate cardio with strength training. The problem most people have when they get to those last few pounds is that your body has adapted to your workouts. You can't do the weight and reps as you did when you first started. PUSH YOURSELF!!! That is how you get results. By default, building muscle mass WILL decrease your FAT mass. You've heard it over and over again: muscle burns fat! It's true. Push yourself in strength training and you will see results within a few weeks for sure. Obviously, don't go out and hurt yourself by doing FAR more than you can take. A good rule of thumb is do what you're comfortable with...then add a few more. Do more reps with lower weight to lean up not bulk up. Find a buddy at the gym who is willing to give you some tough love when you don't think you can do another rep if you find yourself copping out on those last few-- you WILL thank yourself in the end, though it may not be the next day. No pain no gain right ;)
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 5'2 ish and the heaviest I went up to in my 20's was 135-140 I have gone down then up a bit. I was a carido machine queen to lose weight, but I didn't see much results until I started to lift free weights. Then I started to run, and get into races more often. I got down to 108lbs while I trained for a marathon last Sept. Of course as soon as I stop running so much and so often (due to winter weather and pure laziness) I put on 7 lbs in less than 6 months. So right now I am trying to get back into feeling less lazy. I just want to really tone up a bit and stay healthy.
    I know how to do it, it's just a matter of being more consistant :)
    Good Luck to everyone!
  • Specialk988
    Options
    Hi Gals! I am 5"2 (on a good day but more 5'1!!) and I am currently at 116.5 but started at 140. I have found the biggest key to my success is variety in my workouts. Think about it...if you walk the same distance at the same speed everyday its only going to be effective for so long and then your body adjusts to it. I strongly suggest adding higher intensity and weights to your workouts. Mix in exertion and rest periods at different resistances on the ellipitcal to confuse your muscles and to burn more calories. Many women fear getting "bulky" when using weights but unless you are doing specific training to do that the chances of that are virtually non-existant.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am just over 5'2 and about 122..been struggling to get any under it. I basically suck at portion control. What is your goal? I am small-boned and would like to be about 110. Feel free to add me!
  • amy29fan
    amy29fan Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 5'2, and I started at 186 in May 2010. I am currently at 159, and I haven't really moved since January. Although, i will say that i have lost almost 3 pants sizes since January, and now I wear Medium shirts instead of large and x-large. That does make me feel good! But when the scale doesn't move, it's frustrating. I know that I need to change my routine. I have only done the elliptical, gold's gym dance workout, just dance, and now I have started the Wii Zumba. I am grateful for MFP. It has kept me on track(sometimes) for the past 91 days.
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just started back with the wii - I think it had been well over a year since my last wii workout. I'm also walking, a little bit of running, some elliptical... I agree that changing up the routine is important. I really need to be more consistent with strength workouts, but all my muscles are crying from doing the wii strength a couple of days ago.

The biggest thing mfp has done for me is tracking what I'm eating, and being VERY aware of portion sizes. So far I've been at or under my calorie level (1200) and haven't cheated at all. I know I'm probably still in the honeymoon stage! It seems to consume me right now though - very diligent about typing in my foods, water, and exercise. How long do you suppose this phase lasts?!
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and i haven't weighed 125 since high school and that was a long time ago.. lol Currently i'm at 158 and hoping to get to around 135. I don't want lose my curves so i don't think i'll go lower then that. but you never know when i get there i'll see how it looks and decide.