Easter Recipes! *Help!*

Options
TS65
TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
OK, so before I realized what I had done, we're having the family over for easter dinner. Honey Baked Ham is the main course. In my mind, I was thinking scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, brocolli, rolls, dessert. OH CRAP... I can't do that!

So, brocolli will remain on the menu but what other kinds of "sneaky" sides can I make that won't completely derail my healthier lifestyle of eating (notice I'm not saying diet!). As far as I'm concerned, I don't think they need to know what I'm up to until they are done eating. :wink:

For dessert, I'm thinking of making a sugar free tiramisu thingy - clear bowl, cut up SF angel food cake layered with some sort of pudding (vanilla), SF cool whip & fruit - or chocolate SF pudding w/SF cool whip, coconut and chopped almonds.

Post your ideas and yummy recipes here! :drinker:

Replies

• Cturtle7
    Cturtle7 Posts: 3
    Options
    Boiling cauliflower up and mashing it is a GREAT substitute for mashed potatos
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Look up the "low-fat scalloped potatoes" recipe on Cooks.com.....They have a fantastic one where you use skim milk, flour, pepper, and garlic salt, and it's VERY good!

Or you could do a sweet potato recipe?
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, so to speak! I'm trying to survive the Easter meal without blowing a days worth of calories in one sitting! I think I'll eat a salad before I go to Easter dinner. Just so I'm not famished. I was thinking of making a sugar free chocolate pie, using sugar free pudding mix with fat free milk, sugar free graham cracker crust and fat free Cool Whip or fat free Ready Whip. Good luck!
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    We are doing

ham
    Grilled chicken
    Oriental chicken salad
    Creamed spinach
    deviled eggs
    strawberry shortcake (We are going strawberry picking on Saturday so they will be awesome)
    pasta salad with tons of veggies anf whole wheat pasta
    I am whipping up some homemade mac and cheese for the kids who won't touch things that grow from the ground I am sneaking in some cottage cheese and mashed cauliflower though shh.. don't tell...

We do all of our dinners buffet style where the food stays out all day so this is usually the biggest challenge for me. I plan on staying outside for as long as possible. I do most of the cooking so everyone else will be on clean up duty. That is also a trigger point with me and food. I will log my food before I eat it and that way I won't feel deprived because I will know all the yummy things I get to eat before I even eat them.

Good luck :o)
    Ang
  • kimel
    kimel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here is a great recipe for spaghetti squash, great side dish :)

1 large spaghetti squash (3 lb./1.4 kg)
    1/4 cup 100% Parmesan Light Grated Cheese
    1/2 cup Part Skim Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
    2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped
    1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
    Make It!

PIERCE squash several times with fork or sharp knife to allow steam to escape. Microwave on HIGH 10 min. or just until squash is softened, turning after 5 min. Let stand 5 min.

CUT squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Use fork to scrape insides of squash to form strands; place in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss lightly with fork. Spoon into 1 squash shell; discard remaining shell.

MICROWAVE 2 min. or until heated through.

nutritional information
    serving size = 1/2 cup (125 mL)
    per serving

Calories
    Total fat
    1.5 g
    Saturated fat
    1 g
    Cholesterol
    5 mg
    Sodium
    110 mg
    Carbohydrate
    8 g
    Dietary fibre
    1 g
    Sugars
    3 g
    Protein
    4 g

Diabetes Food Choices
    1/2 Meat & Alternatives
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    humm if your family is super picky you can try sneaky ways of controlling nutrition. instead of mashing potatoes try to keep the whole?

add more veggies to the menu?

if not check out this site and see what you come up with. also you can make your regular stuff but use portion control. that is how i got through Thanksgiving
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/

found a combo of potato and green beans.. could hold promise
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/potato-and-green-bean-salad-325-pts.html