Shin Splits

Options
This may be a stupid question, but are there any remidies for shin splints? Is there anyway to prevent them? or is there anything you can wear around them while you run to help ease the pain?!?

**Please excuse spelling error in topic title

Replies

• aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    Argh, I get shin splints too that hurt SO BAD! So I'm keeping an eye on this topic to see if anyone has any remedies to try!
  • stephenrobnett
    Options
    A good remedy is after your run is walking on your heels to cool off, it will stretch your calfs and shins, Remember keep your toes pointing in the air
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, girls. I get them when I walk outside, but not on the tread mill??
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Ice on them to reduce the swelling in those muscles. But you do need to stretch the sheath in your shin, so stretching is the best thing, and take painkillers while it hurts.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    So apparently I can't spell at all tonight!! ugh lol...Thanks for the advice...Looking forward to more!:laugh:
  • knantz
    knantz Posts: 68
    Options
    I get them on the treadmill, and now since I have been getting them while running, have started having shin pains during Zumba. I have changed shoes and am making sure to stretch before and after exercising, and they are slowly but surely getting better. I could take a week off and probably recover completely, but my fear is if I stop, I may not start back.
  • JodyBFitness
    Options
    Yes! :) I had someone ask me about this a while back. There are in fact Shin Splint Sleeves you can use so that you can still workout with ease. Here is one that I found online. http://www.amazon.com/Cho-Pat-Splint-Compression-Sleeve-Large/dp/B0034D9DLM

There are many out there and you can more than likely find them in sporting good stores. Just google Shin Splint Sleeve and you'll find a ton of them online.

I hope this helps. Good luck! :smile:
  • dominioniwoman
    dominioniwoman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Ice, rest and stretching are the only things that help me. Also pay attention to how you are running or doing cardio, you may be on the balls of your feet too much and that could be causing the strain.

I would also get the additional insoles that provide more shock support....that is what I do :happy:
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Try running on grass. Harder surfaces are harder on your joints and bones. Also stretch, stretch, stretch and ice. The other thing that has really helped me - SLOWING down!!!! I use to get shin splints and hurt after even a mile of running. Now I have no pain because I have slowed my pace. If you push too hard too fast you are more prone to injury. Don't worry though is you feel really slow while running, once you have a good base with out pain then you can start adding in short bursts and eventually bring it on!!!

Good Luck!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Sorry that you've got shin splints. I know they can be very painful.

I had shin splints when I was in college (1970's) and the treatment was simple - no basketball and ice.

Google is your friend:

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/help-for-shin-splints
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Ice, rest and stretching are the only things that help me. Also pay attention to how you are running or doing cardio, you may be on the balls of your feet too much and that could be causing the strain.

I would also get the additional insoles that provide more shock support....that is what I do :happy:

I also recommend insoles! They have really helped. Also if you haven't been fitted for shoes you might want to try that as well. A good pair will really help.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Wow - that's excellent!

I'd love to have had something like that!
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    New shoes! I only get shin splints when my shoes have reached their maximum running miles!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    So my advice as someone who used to get them regularly and runs frequently...

1. Check your shoes... Anything with over 300 miles on them, Replace em. The rubber and cushioning loses its support and can cause people issues.
    2. Go to a Running shop and have a gait assessment done before buying new ones. Most people fall into one of three categories; Pronator (foot rolls inward on push off), Suppinator (foot rolls outward on push off, or Neutral (I'll let you guess that one) Get the right shoes for your gait.
    3. How much have you been training? Shin Splints are typically an Overuse injury caused by doing too much too soon. Try to never exceed your previous weeks mileage by more than 10%.
    4. It could be a mechnical defect in the way you run. You may require an orthotic or strapping to correct this.

Treatment
    Back off on your mileage and rest.
    Massage the affected shin several times with a Dixie Cup Delight (fill a dixie cup with water and freeze it.) Massage the ice into the affected shin.
    Deep tissue massage. Dig the thumbs into that shin and massage out the knots.
    If you have a Chiropractor in your area who specializes in ART therapy... I would recommend it.
    Treat the pain with Advil
    You can also get a Foam Roller or The Stick to Massage the area... I find that both can be a runners best friend.

Let me know if you have any questions. I would love to help!

Kindest regards,

Gotta Run!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Been there, done that!

1) stop doing the activity that triggered them for a couple of weeks (OK, honestly I did not do that, it's what I was told to do. But, I backed off and slowed way down)

2) ICE- really take a chunk of ice and rub it up and down your shin a few times a day, but NOT right before you do that exercise you are not supposed to be doing (think frozen rubber bands don't stretch they snap! not good) Put ice packs on your legs while you sit down after exercise, etc.

3) Ibuprofen (just 400) it's an anti-inflammatory and a couple days worth will help IF you have no other medical conditions that would contradict this (ulcers, bleeding problems, allergies, pregnancy....)

4) When you start back on that exercise start slow, advance slow. This is HARD-- especially when everyone else is running right past you. don't worry, you'll catch up.

5) stretch, put your feet in front of you and 'write' the alphabet with your toes three times a day. Do both legs, even if only one has the splints

6) Compression. I got compression socks (I like the CWX's) gives you a little more support and helps get the swelling out also. I wore them for all exercise and to bed at first, then only when I increased exercise or started to feel a strain or tightness in the area. An Ace bandage wrapped not too tight will also help, just harder to keep in place.

7) Shoes, are your shoes fit to you for the exercise you are doing? If they are not right you'll get injury after injury. Spend the time and money and get fit.

Hope that helps!
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I had terrible shin splints and had to take off running for a while till I recovered. I bought a shin splint sleeve/brace/wrap at D I C K's Sporting Goods. Best money spent. I have no problem with shin splints now but I wear the brace every single time i run. I ran 3 miles on Monday and had no problems.

Make sure you are wearing shoes with good support...get fitted for running shoes. Also, if you run outside stay off the sidewalks. Sick to running on asphalt, grass, gravel, sand, etc. Best wishes!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    So my advice as someone who used to get them regularly and runs frequently...

1. Check your shoes... Anything with over 300 miles on them, Replace em. The rubber and cushioning loses its support and can cause people issues.
    2. Go to a Running shop and have a gait assessment done before buying new ones. Most people fall into one of three categories; Pronator (foot rolls inward on push off), Suppinator (foot rolls outward on push off, or Neutral (I'll let you guess that one) Get the right shoes for your gait.
    3. How much have you been training? Shin Splints are typically an Overuse injury caused by doing too much too soon. Try to never exceed your previous weeks mileage by more than 10%.
    4. It could be a mechnical defect in the way you run. You may require an orthotic or strapping to correct this.

Treatment
    Back off on your mileage and rest.
    Massage the affected shin several times with a Dixie Cup Delight (fill a dixie cup with water and freeze it.) Massage the ice into the affected shin.
    Deep tissue massage. Dig the thumbs into that shin and massage out the knots.
    If you have a Chiropractor in your area who specializes in ART therapy... I would recommend it.
    Treat the pain with Advil
    You can also get a Foam Roller or The Stick to Massage the area... I find that both can be a runners best friend.

Let me know if you have any questions. I would love to help!

Kindest regards,

Gotta Run!

Yes stretching helps too! Kind of obvious but I forgot to include it. LOL:blushing:
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have custom orthodics as I have plantars fasciitis too. I'm 26 and falling apart lol!! I also just bought new sneakers. I have the k-swiss tubes.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    when you begin to feel pain in your shins--STOP what you're doing. you really need to rest that kind of an injury or it can get worse. ice them twice a day for 15-20 mins, take an anti-immflamatory and try to stay off your legs. but when you do get back on your feet, you might wanna try running on softer surfaces to lessen the impact. and if you're getting them when you're walking, you may want to consider going to a specialty store and getting the right shoes for your feet. i hope this helps! get well soon!! :)