A healthier Easter for my kids!

Options
So I wanted to share with everyone what I have done this year for Easter for my 5 kids. In an effort to make my lifestyle healthier I have been trying to make life healthier for my family too!

This year for easter I had an idea, I would fill their easter egg's with fruit snacks and gum ball's, and that was it for candy! In their baskets I gave them one chocalate covered peep and a bunch of things they could "use" in their baskets rather then eat. Things like coloring books, activity books, bubbles, chap-stick, chalk, toy balls, things that get them out of the house and playing, instead of chowing down on candy all day! I hate how now a days we have all of these candy holidays all of the time, and our children expect to get candy! Well I have changed that this year for my family, if I can be healthier why can't they?!

We celebrated our easter this last weekend because my grandmother was down visiting from Chicago and she wanted to be here for our Easter celebration for once! The kids were surprisingly NOT disapointed with the items they received, in fact they loved em and we had a great Easter outdoors all day playing with their toy's! For lunch I mashed up all 35 eggs and we had (and still are having) yummy egg salad sandwhichs and fresh squeezed Lemonade!

I hope you all have a great healthy Easter! Any other ideas for future healthy easters are more then appreciated!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• thisistotallysarah
    Options
    I think that is FANTASTIC! You are setting a wonderful example for your children and look how it turned out-- they loved it! I am 100% behind you on this and I think kids get hooked on sugar and become dependent on it because they are given it or are allowed it too much.

I do not have any children of my own but I know that when I was little I could basically eat anything I wanted and I received so much candy for all of the holidays and now as an adult I am dealing with weaning myself off so much sugar. You are giving them a wonderful gift by encouraging them to be outside and doing activities that involves motor skills (and not the mouth motor)

very inspirational!
  • ecaz
    ecaz Posts: 115
    Options
    Im doing the same thing. I bought a small bag of mini candy bars to put in plastic eggs to hide for my 3 year old. But the rest of her basket will be books, bubbles, dvds, v-reader cartridges, etc. She is young enough that if I start this early, she wont miss all the candy in years to come.