What's your most memorable run?

Options
This weekend I ran a 10K across the Golden Gate Bridge. It was pretty spectacular, an amazing view and I was there with my parents - an amazing memory!!!!

Runner's World magazine wrote about the best trail runs, but I want to know:

What was your most memorable run? And why???

Replies

• aecryan
    aecryan Posts: 89
    Options
    I run in the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial Marathon. Very memorable.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    My most memorable run was the Gasparilla 5k this year. I was 6 months pregnant and it was my first 5k. I never thought I would be able to run a 5k ESPECIALLY while pregnant.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    - I saw that today was the anniversary of the Oklahoma City Bombing - I remember when it happened. What a great cause!!!

- 6 months pregnant and you did a 5K? Impressive!!!
  • mariachi
    mariachi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just completed my first half marathon (4/10), Iron Girl Clearwater Beach. Course had 3 bridges! Followed Hal HIgdon training program for 12 weeks, perfect training plan! It was great and now I have the 1/2 fever!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Mine won't sound all that exciting. It was a short trail run in a park on Whidbey Island. It was memorable because it was my first ever trail run, and it was something that I've always wanted to do.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    My most memorable run was when I was five and my mom and dad got my brother a bullwhip for Christmas and he put me in-front of our big oleander in the front yard a was starting to use me for bullwhip practice and I RAN
  • mollymoo89
    mollymoo89 Posts: 202
    Options
    Just completed my first half marathon (4/10), Iron Girl Clearwater Beach. Course had 3 bridges! Followed Hal HIgdon training program for 12 weeks, perfect training plan! It was great and now I have the 1/2 fever!!!

Yay!! My most memorable was completing my first half last October. It was in Augusta GA and absolutely beautiful! I just completed my second half a month ago (3/20), the Georgia Half Marathon in Atlanta and it was nothing but hills! I just wanted to cross the finish line! I also used Hal Higdons program for both
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    My most memorable run was when I was five and my mom and dad got my brother a bullwhip for Christmas and he put me in-front of our big oleander in the front yard a was starting to use me for bullwhip practice and I RAN
    lmao! now THAT is funny!
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    mine was nothing special as i havent ever done an actual 5k or anything above. but i was running on the trail out at the lake one day with my sister, and felt like my back was on fire! so my sister looked, and there was a big huge locust on my back that had already sucked a hole in the back of my shirt and was latching onto my skin! it was terrible! once she got it off i think we mananged the rest of the two miles in a matter of 5 min!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    mine was nothing special as i havent ever done an actual 5k or anything above. but i was running on the trail out at the lake one day with my sister, and felt like my back was on fire! so my sister looked, and there was a big huge locust on my back that had already sucked a hole in the back of my shirt and was latching onto my skin! it was terrible! once she got it off i think we mananged the rest of the two miles in a matter of 5 min!

was it a locust (grasshopper) or a leach
  • daryls
    Options
    ewwwwwww!!!!!!!! My husband always talks about eating bugs on runs.....but having a bug like that....YUCK!!!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I run in the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial Marathon. Very memorable.

From a fellow Sooner, I think it is great that you run that. I wish my knees would allow me to run that, but it just ain't gonna happen. I was telling some of my friends today on another site how it has been 16 years and we need to make sure we always remeber those we lost.

My greatest run???? I ran away from my old life and never looked back.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    Mine was my first, and so far only, marathon last December. Around mile 18 my ITBS flared up so bad, I was in extreme pain. I was crying by mile 20. At that point I said to myself there was no way I had gone this far to give up, so I pushed to the bitter end. 27 mins over my goal time, but I crossed the finish line. I used to use childbirth as the motivator for getting me through difficult and painful situations, but now I use the marathon. If I can do that....I can do anything!!!
    I'm hoping to try it again this year.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my most memorable run yet, but I'm working on it! My best run to date was when I actually did the 10-minute Free Run on the Wii. It was my first "run" in about 20 years, and I had totally forgotten the "high."

It made me decide to work up to a "real" memorable run!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My most memorable is my most memorable because it was my worst!

It was November, and my brother was installing a new water heater for us. I would say "I helped," but I didn't, other than running upstairs for tools and helping him carry it in the house. But I forgot to close the gate. Then let the dog outside without thinking. Who then thought, "AWESOME! I can take MYSELF for a walk!!!"

When I realized he was missing, I ran to the park. It's only a few blocks from my house, and he was there, barking at a dog whose yard backed up to the park. I called my little Beavis, and amazingly he came right up to me, so damn proud of himself. And I was proud of him, too, because he doesn't have good recall, and soooooo relieved, I couldn't yell at him for running away.

But I was a wreck. Wheezing. Huffing. Puffing. I walked us home nearly doubled over. I barely had the lung function to yell to my husband (who was still looking for the dog) that I'd found him.

And that's when I decided I need to get in shape. I didn't actually DO anything about it for another month, but it was an "aha" moment.

This past weekend, I ran my second 5k race in 27:56.

And I have my stubborn little misbehaving Pekingese named Beavis to thank for that. :laugh:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    2009 Honolulu Marathon was my first marathon in over about 20 years and as such most memorable.

The sights, the sounds, the excitement, the energy...

Seeing fireworks start the race at 5:00 am and running with 25,000 others in a frenzied mass past the Aloha tower, along Waikiki and up Diamond Head was amazing...

Seeing the sun rise over the ocean was one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

It was a long day for me, unfortunately I suffered a knee injury at mile 18 that forced me to hobble the last 8 miles... but I refused to quit as I limped across the finish line at the 7 hour mark.

Savoring a shower and a cold beer after the race, was the sweetest feeling one could imagine.

My wife would disagree... she just thinks I'm nuts :tongue: but I think she loves me anyways.
  • dustylcsmith
    dustylcsmith Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ok... I know that this is supposed to be a serious topic... but I can't run. I dream of running one day. I am actually working with a trainer now three times a week. I also just registered to run in a half marathon next January....eeekkkk!

But for a little comedy...

My most memorable run was when I was ten and I had to run from a bull in a cow pasture! I don't think I have ever moved that fast!
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options

OMG!!! Yeah, I bet you ran HAHAHAHAHA!!
  • chelebell14
    Options
    Mine is not as cool as some of yours but mine was this week I did a 15 min mile and that's really good for me
  • daryls
    Options
    If you signed up for a half marathon - you're a runner! Or a quick walker. Good luck next January!