Bored during workout?

Options
I go to the gym everyday and try to get in at least 50 minutes. However, some days I do not simply because I am bored. I usually try to do the rowing machine, stair climber, treadmill, bike, and recently the runner (not sure what it is called). I have tried doing 2 five minute cycles, which helps but I still get soooo bored. There are tvs attached to the treadmill and I use those when doing that, but there is nothing on the other machines. I have also tried reading a book, but it is kinda hard to do that on the running machine and impossible on the rowing machine. Music helps some, but it does not distract me from the time on the clock. Is there anything I can do that will occupy my time on the machines?

Replies

• Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I've tried watching tv, must most of the time the tv doesn't keep me from continuously looking at the clock! I've also tried my gameboy and that seems to work a lot more effectively than anything else I've used so far.

It helps if I start doing Boot Camp type exercises, but that doesn't burn near as many calories as the Elliptical or Stationary bike. - I haven't tried straight music yet.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You can always try classes at the gym, those are always fun, or find work out dvd's that you like. I love Turbo Fire. It's the best part of my day. I even enjoy it so much that I usually do my workouts twice in a day :D
  • sjh24f
    sjh24f Posts: 6
    Options
    I do dancing with the stars video at night. I have no problem staying focused on that because i love the show and I love to dance. My main problem is when I am on machines.

I have not thought of video games, maybe I should dig up my old gameboy and try that.
  • phassie
    phassie Posts: 14
    Options
    Try outdoor workouts: walking.. that kills the boredom of same routine different day..
  • nancyv10
    nancyv10 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started doing 1 hour of zumba. It burns tons of calories and the hour is up before i know it.
  • jessers26
    jessers26 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I get a bit bored myself and have found that my Ipod seems to help a bit. Working out at home is another good option!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I used to get bored in the gym too. I don't go anymore. I do classes, cycling and running, and go swimming with the children occasionally at weekends. Exercising indoors is DULL.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    having intervals helps me not get bored. I usually run 5 minutes and then walk 1 min. or run 10 minutes (up the speed after 5 minutes) and walk 1.

it just takes some getting used to. 30 minutes is fine for time too btw....u don't have to kill urself and get 50 min.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Not sure what to suggest.... I watch TV on my computer (hulu.com) but I workout at home... I guess if you had a really cool IPAD or other awesome technological device you could have a compact tv to take from station to station in the gym and watch what you want!
  • paxton40
    paxton40 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Audio books might work for you. I agree that reading is difficult depending om which machine you're using. And yes, I get super bored at the gym too.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    As adults we gain weight, we get busy and we get lazy because we forget how to play. People who continue to play stay healthiest and live longest.

Find a workout partner and just for kicks... try playing Tag. Have fun with it. Go swimming with friends... Play Marco Polo. No one ever said a workout has to be boring. Take the "Work" out of the workout and learn to play.

I have a 5 year old and a 15 year old... I learned how to play again. Life is fun! :laugh:

Your homework should you accept this mission is to go play like a child. Live. Love. Laugh!

This message will not self destruct (all though that would be kind of cool wouldn't it :wink: )
  • Brandie6004
    Brandie6004 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that I workout with alot. We'll grab machines next to each other, sometimes we talk and sometimes we don't (even if we dont' talk it's super helpful to have some good company!). ..and if I'm working out on my own then I HAVE to have my ipod! I listen to music that makes me want to move and dance, not that I even try to dance on a treadmill (I'd go flying off! lol) ...or I'll listen to my F-off playlist. (Yeah- i have playlist for my moods; sleepytime, just dance, f-off, gone country, lovey-dovey and so on. )

If my friend and I are just focused on our fitness (or if I'm not diggin a certin song at the moment) I think of all my fat melting away, and try to picture a stronger body, and sometimes I check out all the cute workout clothes on the skinny chicks and try to picture mymelf wearing their outfit.

If I end up getting to the point that I'm checkin out the skinny chick then it usually helps to get me going again; the skinny chick wearing the cute clothes makes me want to be able to wear the same cute outfit. Thinking of wearing cuter clothes make me think of a better body. Thinking of a better body makes me think of the fat melting off. Thinking of the fat melting off usually puts me right back in my workout.