how is iced coffee 90 calories per serving?

Options
I got one of the big iced coffees with a small amount of skim milk and 3 splendas. How is this a 150+ calorie difference from regular coffee I would brew at home?

Replies

• Shannoncore
    Shannoncore Posts: 135
    Options
    coffee its self is not a high calorie food its all the sugars you put in it that pack on the calories and the fat. also iced coffee has alot of ice in it taking up space.
  • youngtweezy
    youngtweezy Posts: 183
    Options
    150 calories for a home brewed coffee? The average cup of black coffee is 5 calories.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    What do you put in your coffee at home? I know when I get one of those at McD's it is 90 calories and it has sugar free syrup in it and skim milk. One of my indulgences I have every now and then. :drinker:
  • MoNiKa2113
    Options
    i know when i make my starbucks stops i always get drinks with expresso shots and soy milk
    expresso shots are only 10 calories each...and in machiattos they come with 2 so its an easy way to cut cals in the morning...could be the reason urs r less cals
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    most likely it is the amount of milk used from sounds of it.. unless it comes sweetened
    there is usually alot more milk in iced coffee than hot coffee with milk i believe
  • CloverBlair
    Options
    most iced coffees from big chains come sweetened unless you say otherwise, to be on the safe side, mention that you want it unsweetened next time!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I got a Starbucks Iced Coffee with Nonfat Milk (I watched them pour it in. It wasn't even half a cup) and 3 packets of Splenda. It didn't taste very sweet so I highly doubt they presweeten the iced coffee they use.
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    I got a Starbucks Iced Coffee with Nonfat Milk (I watched them pour it in. It wasn't even half a cup) and 3 packets of Splenda. It didn't taste very sweet so I highly doubt they presweeten the iced coffee they use.

I work at a Starbucks. The iced coffee is not pre-sweetened. Half a cup of nonfat milk would be about 45 calories. I'm not sure how you ended up with the total calories for your iced coffee there.
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    Unless they included the classic syrup... maybe you used the wrong entry on the database. You should search for one without classic syrup and count your splenda separately.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Yeah I called them and they helped me out. I got the 90 calories from typing in Starbucks Iced Coffee. I'm just going to use normal brewed coffee and the milk and splenda. Thanks for the help!
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    Yeah I called them and they helped me out. I got the 90 calories from typing in Starbucks Iced Coffee. I'm just going to use normal brewed coffee and the milk and splenda. Thanks for the help!

I'm sure they used the amount of calories including the Classic Syrup (simple syrup/sugar water). The Starbucks website has a nutritional database that's interactive, too.
  • foyaeman
    Options
    I know I'm ressurecting an old thread but on the Starbucks website (http://www.starbucks.com/menu/drinks/brewed-coffee/iced-coffee#size=144646&sweetened=0) the Iced Coffee is listed as having 130 calories for a Venti, with or without sweetener (which I'm assuming is the classic syrup). I'd like to think that's just an error on their part but a little bit of clarification would be nice.