Getting rid of carb cravings

Options
So since I have been eating healthier, I have tried to cut down on carbs, I have realized lately that I am in love with them. Any ideas how to stop or curb the cravings??

Replies

• 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a full glass of water and pop in some sugar free gum. If i still crave I'll get a cup of coffee (with low fat chocolate mocha creamer).
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    You need carbs, they give you energy and your brains runs on carbs exclusively, so don't reduce them too much. Just make sure you're getting your carbs from fruits, vegetables and whole grains instead of refined (white) carbs and refined sugar. Also make sure you don't replace your carbs with fats.
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    eat things that remind you of carbs... try www.skinnytaste.com they have really good low carb recipes. For example, you can cook a spaghetti squash and eat it with sauce and cheese and it's almost like you are having spaghetti. For the sweet- I'll mix fat free or no sugar added cool whip and some sugar free, fat free chocolate pudding (not the whole package) and freeze it. Also, you can buy low carb tortillas that have about 3 or 4 grams of carbs.
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    You need carbs, they give you energy and your brains runs on carbs exclusively, so don't reduce them too much. Just make sure you're getting your carbs from fruits, vegetables and whole grains instead of refined (white) carbs and refined sugar. Also make sure you don't replace your carbs with fats.

Hogwash...Your brain is basically fat. It loves fat. To curb your cravings for carbs eat something with lots of healthy fats. A handful of almonds or a piece of cold chicken is better then more carbs!
  • LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Hogwash...Your brain is basically fat. It loves fat. To curb your cravings for carbs eat something with lots of healthy fats. A handful of almonds or a piece of cold chicken is better then more carbs!

There are studies that are now finding a link of depression to low fat consumption.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options

This is untrue. You absolutely need no carbs ever. There are essential proteins and essential fatty acids, but all the glucose you need can be synthesized from a combination of protein and fat. This number is actually extremely low and probably contained in just a few veggies, thus no need to create more glucose/glycogen in your body. The majority of your body that "needs carbs" can be run just fine on keytones. This is the reason why you can sleep 8 hours and not die of lack of carbs, or have to get up ever few hours to eat a pack of crackers.

Some people can slowly scale back the carbs and get rid of the cravings, some need to totally cut them off for a bit, then slowly reintroduce a few items.

You're on the right track though - keep an eye on that number, and if you want to friend me, feel free. You can check my diary for extremely healthy options to combat carb/sugar cravings.
  • mrslondon
    mrslondon Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'll give some of these ideas a go! I now know that i guess its the "refined bad carbs" that i am in love with. Im going to check out that website, thanks!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I had to go "cold turkey" for a couple of weeks to break the sugar / white flour habit. I ate alot of lean protein, "good" fats, and vegetables (they were my only carbs.) Once the initial 2 weeks was up, I was able to re-introduce fruits and whole grains back into the diet, paying attention to which carbs drove another craving. Cereal is one of those things that I love, but seems to churn additional cravings (even the whole-grain kind) So I just try to watch what my triggers are.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

No. Your heart is the one that needs healthy fats, not your brain. I didn't say the brain was made of carbs, I said it runs on carbs. It needs carbs to function properly just like your heart needs good fats to function properly and your muscles need protein.
  • NoAdditives
    Options

This is untrue. You absolutely need no carbs ever. There are essential proteins and essential fatty acids, but all the glucose you need can be synthesized from a combination of protein and fat. This number is actually extremely low and probably contained in just a few veggies, thus no need to create more glucose/glycogen in your body. The majority of your body that "needs carbs" can be run just fine on keytones. This is the reason why you can sleep 8 hours and not die of lack of carbs, or have to get up ever few hours to eat a pack of crackers.

Some people can slowly scale back the carbs and get rid of the cravings, some need to totally cut them off for a bit, then slowly reintroduce a few items.

You're on the right track though - keep an eye on that number, and if you want to friend me, feel free. You can check my diary for extremely healthy options to combat carb/sugar cravings.

Protein does not get broken down for energy, fat and carbs do. So yeah, you do need some carbs.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Cut grains (bread, rice etc) and cane/corn sugar from your diet for 3-4 weeks. When you add them back in, avoid white flour as much as possible and stick to low glycemic index foods. I spent my whole life being addicted to breads and sugar. Now, my tastes have totally changed and I rarely, if ever, crave it.
  • stevemcknight
    Options

Protein does not get broken down for energy, fat and carbs do. So yeah, you do need some carbs.

This is just totally wrong. I don't mean to hijack the thread - but honestly. What's your source?
  • NoAdditives
    Options

This is just totally wrong. I don't mean to hijack the thread - but honestly. What's your source?

We evolved to be omnivores, that's what gives us our large brain size and high brain function. We need a balanced diet of protein, fat and carbs in order for our bodies and brains to function properly.

Meathead jocks who eat primarily protein are generally idiots, hippies who don't eat meat are generally skinny wimps.

Also, this:

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/carbs.html

What is your source?
  • stevemcknight
    Options
    Really honestly and truly, there are no essential carbohydrates. It's just a fact. Feel free to call me a meathead jock, hippie wimp - that's cool. I eat only about 30g or less carbs per day - and yet still somehow have the mental capacity to figure out which shoe goes on which foot. Unbelievable but true.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/metabolism-and-ketosis/
    The liver requires energy to convert the protein to glucose. The energy comes from fat. As the liver breaks down the fat to release its energy to power gluconeogenesis, the conversion of protein to sugar, it produces ketones as a byproduct. And what a byproduct they are. Ketones are basically water soluble (meaning they dissolve in blood) fats that are a source of energy for many tissues including the muscles, brain and heart. In fact, ketones act as a stand in for sugar in the brain. Although ketones can’t totally replace all the sugar required by the brain, they can replace a pretty good chunk of it. By reducing the body’s need for sugar, less protein is required, allowing the muscle mass (the protein reservoir) to last a lot longer before it is depleted. And ketones are the preferred fuel for the heart, making that organ operate at about 28 percent greater efficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate
    Carbohydrates are not necessary building blocks of other molecules, and the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fats.[10][11] The brain and neurons generally cannot burn fat for energy, but use glucose or ketones. Humans can synthesize some glucose (in a set of processes known as gluconeogenesis) from specific amino acids, from the glycerol backbone in triglycerides and in some cases from fatty acids.

*amino acids is protein btw.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/5/18/there-are-no-essential-carbohydrates-even-for-athletes.html
    Despite current nutritional dogma dating from the 1970's, carbohydrate consumption is completely unnecessary for your energy (or any other) needs. Fat is the primary way we store energy in our bodies, and eating fat is the evolutionarily preferred food source in a food-abundant environment.* During aerobic exercise, the predominant fuel source is fatty acids, supplemented by glycogen stores.

It is possible to eat no carbohydrates at all and still do plenty of physical work. Any carbohydrates needed not provided from glycogen or food can be produced in abundance via gluconeogenesis. Glucose provided this way makes you literally burn fat, and keeps your insulin levels low.
  • NoAdditives
    Options
    Really honestly and truly, there are no essential carbohydrates. It's just a fact. Feel free to call me a meathead jock, hippie wimp - that's cool. I eat only about 30g or less carbs per day - and yet still somehow have the mental capacity to figure out which shoe goes on which foot. Unbelievable but true.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/ketones-and-ketosis/metabolism-and-ketosis/
    The liver requires energy to convert the protein to glucose. The energy comes from fat. As the liver breaks down the fat to release its energy to power gluconeogenesis, the conversion of protein to sugar, it produces ketones as a byproduct. And what a byproduct they are. Ketones are basically water soluble (meaning they dissolve in blood) fats that are a source of energy for many tissues including the muscles, brain and heart. In fact, ketones act as a stand in for sugar in the brain. Although ketones can’t totally replace all the sugar required by the brain, they can replace a pretty good chunk of it. By reducing the body’s need for sugar, less protein is required, allowing the muscle mass (the protein reservoir) to last a lot longer before it is depleted. And ketones are the preferred fuel for the heart, making that organ operate at about 28 percent greater efficiency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate
    Carbohydrates are not necessary building blocks of other molecules, and the body can obtain all its energy from protein and fats.[10][11] The brain and neurons generally cannot burn fat for energy, but use glucose or ketones. Humans can synthesize some glucose (in a set of processes known as gluconeogenesis) from specific amino acids, from the glycerol backbone in triglycerides and in some cases from fatty acids.

*amino acids is protein btw.

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/5/18/there-are-no-essential-carbohydrates-even-for-athletes.html
    Despite current nutritional dogma dating from the 1970's, carbohydrate consumption is completely unnecessary for your energy (or any other) needs. Fat is the primary way we store energy in our bodies, and eating fat is the evolutionarily preferred food source in a food-abundant environment.* During aerobic exercise, the predominant fuel source is fatty acids, supplemented by glycogen stores.

It is possible to eat no carbohydrates at all and still do plenty of physical work. Any carbohydrates needed not provided from glycogen or food can be produced in abundance via gluconeogenesis. Glucose provided this way makes you literally burn fat, and keeps your insulin levels low.

If all this were really true, if we didn't need carbs at all we wouldn't have evolved eating fruits and vegetables, we'd just be carnivores.

And great job using Wikipedia as a source, they're totally reliable.
  • stevemcknight
    Options
    OK, listen - I meant no attack on you - sorry for posting at all. If the "everything in moderation" card is working for you and you're as lean as you want - then by all means, please - continue. Eat anything you want :) Best of luck.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

If all this were really true, if we didn't need carbs at all we wouldn't have evolved eating fruits and vegetables, we'd just be carnivores.

And great job using Wikipedia as a source, they're totally reliable.

Oh for heaven's sake.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options

You do need carbs. A diet that leaches keytones is completely unhealthy and does damage to your body. BCAAs can be stripped from your muscles to provide the energy you need, but in the process you'll be destroying your muscle. Half of the carbohydrates you eat every day go straight to your brain.

I've found that a good ratio for carb-protein-fat is 50-25-25. I run triathlons and I'm a personal trainer, and this ratio of macronutrients allows my clients and me to enjoy our daily activities without destroying our hard-earned muscle.

The Paleo diet, if that's what you're referring to, may work for some. If it works for you, great. But the science behind the way the body works (not behind how anthropologists figured we struggled to survive), supports a diet rich in complex carbohydrates, and roughly equal calories of fats and proteins.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    And, to clarify, my source is Fitness: The Complete Guide by Fredrick Hatfield, Ph.D. 2010, Carpinteria, CA
  • stevemcknight
    Options
    I used to have my clients do the whole grain 40-50% carbs thing, until I learned more. The more I learn about Leaky Gut Syndrome, it made my decision to leave them behind pretty easy.

Look - I'm not saying no carbs. The first rule I tell my clients, friends, and anyone who will listen is eat all the veggies you can fit in your mouth. The second rule I tell them is avoid grains, then I explain why (if they aren't running like maniacs out of the room and to the nearest dunkin' doughnuts.)

The simple debate was if there are essential carbs - which of course you know is not true. That can be proven by either science or the observation of many tribes over the world that exist on basically no carbs and live free of D.O.C.'s.

Ketosis does no damage to your body - in fact, some parts are shown to run better on keytones than on glucose. Anytime people claim ketosis is terribly damaging to their bodies, you gotta ask them if they get up in middle of the night to eat. Because if they don't, there is a good chance that they'll be producing keytones by morning.

Ketosis is different that Ketoacidosis which is, I assume what you're referring to.

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.